Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you do when someone says "shit sec"/"supercop" as a player?
A recent trend I've noticed is antagonists (mostly changelings, but occasionally traitors) accusing people over the radio (usually Security or the AI) of breaking server rules when they get caught doing crimes. As an example from a few weeks back, the security team had a report of a doctor neurotoxin symptoms in medbay. Two officers responded to the report and saw a different doctor dragging the caller into maint. They stunned the doctor and performed a blood test, revealing him to be a changeling. The changeling then howled bloody murder over the radio, accusing security of "metagaming", being "tryhards", etc. and demanding to be freed. The Medical Director heard the ling complaining, uncuffed him and held up security while he got away, telling the officers to stop arresting random doctors.

As another example, I've seen a lot of changelings accuse the AI of "ignoring its laws" or "supercopping" when it announces that someone is a changeling, tracks them for Sec (usually at Security's own request) and generally treats them as a non-human. I'm fairly sure that these people understand that a changeling isn't human and isn't protected by laws 1 or 2, but accusing the AI of being a shitty metagaming supercop is a good way to get people to assume the AI is lying about or even just overstating your guilt. This is especially effective since there occasionally are supercop AIs who do that sort of thing. Just plausible enough to be true, even when it isn't.

Its not all intentional lying either. Sometimes people have legitimate complaints. Sometimes you hear someone yell that George Melons is a griefer and keeps stabbing them, and that's 100% true and all they want is a doctor to come put their blood back in. Sometimes you get people who legitimately think they have a complaint, have adminhelped, but are yelling on the radio because they're angry. And sometimes people are just confused and think something's against the rules when it isn't.

While obviously the ideal is to have everyone not talk about server rules violations in game (either adminhelp or let it go, etc.), you'll still occasionally hear it regardless. What do you do when that happens? Ignore the accuser entirely? Pretend they just asked for help without bringing up the rules? Try to investigate? Assume accuser is a lying asshole? I don't know if there's a good answer here other than "it depends".
Whiners: I ignore them? There's really nothing you can do. If somebody breaks server rules but you don't have any proof then you should let admins handle (ahelp) it. It's what they do. Now if a creepy racist is spouting their shit I'm gonna chuck em' out an airlock, but the radio log is direct proof and their damage is ongoing. Some jerk saying 'x broke rule y' doesn't justify anything. I don't really blame antags for trying to get some idiot to let them out, but I do wish they would at least stay IC for that.

Semi-related opinions:

Sec: All good secoffs are meta. They know the game. They know what to expect, and are ready for it. Even if they don't admit it. Even if they don't use it. I don't bemoan this trend; I implore it. There are some exceptions, but I like a strong sec because it makes for a stronger game. This is a game where knowledge is power. This isn't an RP server. I don't know what people expect.
Honestly I ignore them or at most tell them if they have issues with how I play security to adminhelp me. At the end of the day the only opinions that matter are the admins.

Now if they keep singling you out round after round saying you are shit or whatever you might want to adminhelp them. I've had experiences where a person would rant about me whenever he saw me and it got to a point where he would join as my in-game name and be shit in some dumb attempt to make me look bad in this community (I don't need help in that regard by the way) There was even a time I caught him doing this and he spaced me. He got banned for doing that stuff but if I adminhelped his behavior before it got that far he might have not gotten banned over it. That was months of drama over one security round that could've ended better if I adminhelp about him. But I found it too funny at the time.

What I'm trying to say is people will call you a super cop, shit sec or shit in general. In most cases the best thing to do is to tell them to adminhelp their issues with you and move on and if they keep coming back round after round to yell at you, then you may want to adminhelp them before they get to the point where they metagame and get themselves banned.

Or just make fun of them that works as well. But might make things worse but to each his own. Ignoring them is the best thing you can do cause for a security player if you do something seriously wrong the admins will come down on you hard and again their thoughts are the only ones that should matter to a security player
You're raising several points here, so I'll try address them separately:

Quote:...As an example from a few weeks back, the security team had a report of a doctor neurotoxin symptoms in medbay...

As far as I'm concerned, defamation of other officers is A-OK, that includes calling them shitsec/supercops/tryhards/etc, because it's not implying they're breaking the rules, it's implying their shit and anyone can call out someone if they feel like they are shit. Free speech n' all.
However, saying that they are metagaming on the radio is ironically metagaming in itself and is a very bad as it's OOC in IC. If someone feels like someone is breaking rules, then it's adminhelp, not yelling it on the radio. The fact of the matter was that the ling was baiting for someone to help him, which is fine if it's within the rules, but in this situation it was not.
The MD directly helping him was fucking with security. I don't think the MD was breaking any rules per se, but he definitely deserved to be arrested as they are the worst people. If this is a repeat offense of fucking with sec then a severe beating is warranted.

Quote:..As another example, I've seen a lot of changelings accuse the AI of "ignoring its laws" or "supercopping" when it announces that someone is a changeling..
The AI is well within it's rights to track someone if it suspects wrongdoing. However it shouldn't bolt someone down on suspicion, that's supercopping. A better option would be to notify the crew or better yet PDA security. It SHOULD bolt someone down if security requested it. Regarding a ling, an aggressive AI is almost necessary as the the current station is a fucking buffet for lings. Furthermore the AI SHOULDN'T attack a ling unless it sees with its very eyes nonhuman activity. If it does, then it's ignoring its laws. You can't attack someone "just incase" it's a ling. That's supercopping and breaking your laws to boot. Quarantining a suspected ling is not supercopping. A bit of tact when it comes to playing AI is a must. butt

Quote: What do you do when that happens?
It's in the language really.
If someone is yelling "HELP SHIT SEC" then likelihood of an officer actually being bad is very slim. The best counter for this is as an officer is to state on the radio what the persons job is and what they are arrested for, followed by audible jeering at the arrested target.
If someone is yelling "HELP SECURITY IS FUCKING STABBING ME" and the officer then gives a lame excuse or none at all, followed by utter silence, then it's a sure sign that it's possible that the officer is rogue. But it's not recommended that you chase that officer down, more than you investigate, preferably with the AI if the case is true.
I admit that I struggle not to lose my temper with people that immediately call me shit because I arrested them or confiscated stuff they should have. The sad fact of the matter is that this behavior is not really against the rules... which is a 'give them an inch and they take a mile' situation.

I've had people I've taken contraband from and released go on to try to get me arrested and stripped in the hallway, and very often people are unreasonable on this game and will take the side of whatever weirdo is screaming about someone else being bad with zero actual evidence for it. The game contains severe mob mentality and that's fine, it's really part of how the game works.

I often just go 'haha, no' and remove their headset if they start screaming over the radio over nothing. Then they get solitary if they abuse intercoms, etc. But it's always a temporary brigging, I'm not gonna do much more than that for some weirdo just making my life harder with loud complaining.
It depends. Sometimes I fuck up as sec, and arrest the wrong people because I read a situation wrong. In those cases I explain my perspective to them and let them go. 

When someone is being salty over a legitimate arrest, I usually just treat them a bit colder and don't give them any leniency for accepting silly punishments or chances to earn back less harmful gear.
Mess them up even harder than you would have normally and laugh at them when they get even nastier.

If people actually accuse you of breaking server rules then adminhelp them and fuck them up.

edit: the adminhelp is because I really despise players who try to get out of a prickly situation they got themselves in by scaring everyone else into thinking they'll get banned, and I'd really like to mock them as it happens, it's even against rule 9: Do not threaten to get other people banned. This will not end well for you!
Anyone yelling shitsec is generally an annoying git best ignored, muzzled and given an extended brig sentence. If you're having a problem with a secoff, a quiet adminhelp is all you need, screaming about it in chat is not at all cool.

Also, I actually use supercop as a compliment, should probably stop that.
Laugh at them and take it as a compliment. If you're doing your job right and not breaking any rules then it means you're doing a good job and the person who said it is usually being a babby.
go out of my way to live up to their expectations of me being a supercop/powergamer/tryhard/etc
Funnily enough, people rarely accuse me of being shitcurity, so I can't really offer any advice here. v
I remember when I was known as a massive robocop, and to be fair I was.

Ive changed over the time since, I can now be much more lenient, or if I feel like Ive been personally targeted or annoyed I will show very very little leniency for a crime.

It's all down to a nice balance, and far too often I see people who I would consider to be a supercop show very little leniency and a kill of sight traitor / wizard attitude far too often. Obviously I wont name any names but some people really need to remember that the people you're interacting with won't soon forget what a hard arse you are and that it will likely come back to bite you in the arse.
I'd meant this more as a "What do you do as an uninvolved third party", ie you hear it over the radio and aren't sure if Security is actually rogue or it's just some asshole saying that to get their clown car back.
(08-08-2016, 06:21 PM)Grek Wrote: I'd meant this more as a "What do you do as an uninvolved third party", ie you hear it over the radio and aren't sure if Security is actually rogue or it's just some asshole saying that to get their clown car back.

Well I've had times where a person was calling me a shit security officer in deadchat and a bunch of people came to my defense if you know the officer getting yelled at and know he would never be shit stick up for him. If you don't know the officer and can't figure out if he is shit. Ask the Ai to watch him for a bit or something before acting.
Shrug and ignore them mostly. I'd like to think that most of the playerbase knows better than to trust a single guy screaming his lungs out about 'shitsec' or 'rouge ai'. Chances are if anyone actually takes action because of that, they were always planning to be a dick anyway and was just looking for an excuse.

Of course, if multiple people report the same officer doing absolutely nothing except beating people with a fire extinguisher, then that's a rather more specific and actionable issue.