Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
A little Question and Answer Thread.
(08-28-2016, 06:45 PM)Superlagg Wrote: How many letters can I fit into an AI law? I'm wondering how much lore I can fit into a timecube law.

Someone managed to fit an entire 12 page star trek rant into AI laws.

Please don't copy paste the entirety of time cube into an AI law.
Is there any way to get item baked into pies back out of the pie? How?
Or to use the pie like one of the items baked into it?
(08-28-2016, 07:24 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 06:45 PM)Superlagg Wrote: How many letters can I fit into an AI law? I'm wondering how much lore I can fit into a timecube law.

Someone managed to fit an entire 12 page star trek rant into AI laws.

Please don't copy paste the entirety of time cube into an AI law.

It was a while ago but I put in the Irish Declaration of Independence.

I think the admin PM went:
"Please never do that again"
"Tiocfaidh ár lá"
"I know, but please"
(09-07-2016, 01:59 PM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: Is there any way to get item baked into pies back out of the pie? How?
Or to use the pie like one of the items baked into it?

I don't think this works for all items but try throwing the pie at an oven.
You can just throw the pie at the ground over and over. I know things like baked hearts and butts will plop out, but not sure about more nefarious items.
For most items, using the pie on yourself (thrown) will put the item in your hand.

You'll of course be whacked with whatever is in the pie, but you'll get the item back.
Whether or not it kills you is ingredient-based
Is acting on things you heard as a ghost after you're cloned/borged considered metagaming? What about making soulsteel garbage and yelling at the ghosts until they lead you to their corpses?

And considering soulsteel possession shenanigans, are there any guidelines about what you can/can't/shouldn't do? And if murder is legalized as a floating spear, would that make creating soulsteel hurtweapons something of a badguy activity?

And considering soulsteel itself, how much of something needs to be soulsteel for it to be stealable by souls? Do alloys work? Or is this all something I should find out on my own?
No and no. Most people will ignore your testimony, however. You shouldn't kill people as a ghost unless you're an antag ghost. Rogue borg ghosts probably don't count for that?
(10-05-2016, 09:45 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Is acting on things you heard as a ghost after you're cloned/borged considered metagaming?

I'm glad you asked this because until now, I thought using knowledge from deadchat was against the rules (I imagine it is on the RP server though). Here's a quote from the wiki on metagaming: 

"acting on any information obtained using solely in-game mechanics (yes, deadchat counts) is explicitly NOT metagaming with very few exceptions"
(10-06-2016, 08:50 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote:
(10-05-2016, 09:45 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Is acting on things you heard as a ghost after you're cloned/borged considered metagaming?

I'm glad you asked this because until now, I thought using knowledge from deadchat was against the rules (I imagine it is on the RP server though). Here's a quote from the wiki on metagaming: 

"acting on any information obtained using solely in-game mechanics (yes, deadchat counts) is explicitly NOT metagaming with very few exceptions"

It's still more fun to give vague hints.
(10-06-2016, 09:21 AM)medsal15 Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 08:50 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote:

It's still more fun to give vague hints.

Solarium.txt
There are a few times when I use ghost-knowledge to help out. Like when some poor dork died right beside the y-drone's corpse with all the bad-end items.

For most situations I play it as if I only had information about the person who killed me. I keep it to vague hints for people who are running a fun stealth gimmick (tarot murders come to mind), and no vagueness for cheesers (cloak+pen? again?) or lings who can just change anyways.

This is all just my own etiquette and isn't required at all. Some even look down on this type of play. Destroying the cloner and gibbing bodies is popular for more than one reason.

edit: Granted, I've been puritain since it was introduced, and regularly dnr'd before that. shrug
Sorry for the bump, but this thread is actually kinda useful.

How do security logs work, especially regarding what happens when you add new entries? How does Beepsky interpret these new logs to determine who to arrest? Can it be used to set monkeys to arrest?
(01-23-2017, 09:21 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Sorry for the bump, but this thread is actually kinda useful.

How do security logs work, especially regarding what happens when you add new entries? How does Beepsky interpret these new logs to determine who to arrest? Can it be used to set monkeys to arrest?
I have no straight answer to that, but you have made me curious. I looked up the code:

From the Securitron AI
if (src.check_records)
for (var/datum/data/record/E in data_core.general)
var/perpname = perp.name
if (perp:wear_id && perp:wear_id:registered)
perpname = perp.wear_id:registered
if (E.fields["name"] == perpname)
for (var/datum/data/record/R in data_core.security)
if ((R.fields["id"] == E.fields["id"]) && (R.fields["criminal"] == "*Arrest*"))
threatcount = 4
From this we gather that if the target has the same name as (or is wearing the ID-card of somebody who is) the 'name field' in a record, and said is set to 'Arrest', the Securitron will hunt them down.

From the SecMate Program
for (var/datum/data/record/E in data_core.general)
var/perpname = perp.name
if (perp:wear_id && perp:wear_id:registered)
perpname = perp.wear_id:registered
if (E.fields["name"] == perpname)
for (var/datum/data/record/R in data_core.security)
if ((R.fields["id"] == E.fields["id"]) && (R.fields["criminal"] == "*Arrest*"))
threatcount = 4

In the SecMate program, you should be able to set the name field to whatever you want.

So, according to the code, you can create a record for a monkey, set it to arrest, and watch the Securitrons beat them to shit.
I still highly recommend that you try in-game. If it works, report it back here. If it does not work, you should file a bug-report.
It is also very funny.
I dunno. That answer is about as straight as you get:

1) Secutron looks for an ID. If they have one, it reads it's name and compares it to it's arrest list -
- - If the name is on there, it arrests they ass.
- - If the name isn't on there, it moves along.
2) If there is no ID, it looks at their ugly mug (or lack thereof) -
- - If the face matches the name, it arrests they ass.
- - If the face isn't the correct face, it moves along.

[I just tested this by pissing beepsky off. His baby pictures are hilarious, and his diary is just obsessive ramblings about shitty bill and some time explosions bullshit]

Since it's really only concerned with names, I guess you could set 'Unknown' to arrest to piss off all of them anonymous-type fellows. a greater domestic space-bee that's gunna cause some trouble