Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
A little Question and Answer Thread.
I think the HoP computer only change the name of your job on your ID so you're still registered with your former job in for instance the bank records. It seems your job on your ID doesn't seem to be anything else than just a display, not linked to anything other than the card.
I don't know how or why but I can't click links to join servers, the only way for me to join Goon 1 is via bookmarks or replay, what is my problem and how do I fix it?

Edit: To clarify I've understood the #1 problem for a while but the one I'm wondering about is why I can't click the site link to join since the latest Byond update
(04-19-2018, 05:12 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I don't know how or why but I can't click links to join servers, the only way for me to join Goon 1 is via bookmarks or replay, what is my problem and how do I fix it?

There's a known problem with #1 on the BYOND hub. It's a BYOND limitation that has been reported, but we have no ETA on a fix. You should be able to join Goon 2 via the BYOND hub without problem.

Workarounds for joining #1:
  • Replay Last Game (or whatever it's called) if it was the last one you joined
  • Use the link on the wiki (only works if you have BYOND installed, i.e. not running as a standalone, so will probably work for most people).
  • Make a bookmark.
  • Use the Open button and enter the URL manually (see the wiki for an up-to-date URL, at time of writing it's byond://goon1.goonhub.com:26100/
(04-19-2018, 09:52 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(04-19-2018, 05:12 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I don't know how or why but I can't click links to join servers, the only way for me to join Goon 1 is via bookmarks or replay, what is my problem and how do I fix it?

There's a known problem with #1 on the BYOND hub. It's a BYOND limitation that has been reported, but we have no ETA on a fix. You should be able to join Goon 2 via the BYOND hub without problem.

Workarounds for joining #1:
  • Replay Last Game (or whatever it's called) if it was the last one you joined
  • Use the link on the wiki (only works if you have BYOND installed, i.e. not running as a standalone, so will probably work for most people).
  • Make a bookmark.
  • Use the Open button and enter the URL manually (see the wiki for an up-to-date URL, at time of writing it's byond://goon1.goonhub.com:26100/
i'm having the same problem for #2, worked around a week ago.

EDIT: nvm i am an dumb, restarting byond fixed it
not my net dream! 
Does anyone know where I can learn more about the new food system? I know that certain stats are earned from it like gassy or energized, but what are all the stat effects and which foods are they associated with?
Did the status effect system change how stun reducers work? Used to be that I could load myself up with cigs, coffee, and hot chocolate and shrug off most low-grade stuns, maybe even escape Beepsky if I roll well enough, now it feels like I'm lucky to shave off a couple seconds from slipping. I mean, it makes stuns a lot less easily cheesable, I'm just wondering where this came from.
can someone explain to me how to manage stacks, eg with ore from mining? getting back into the game and struggling with it since stacks were added in my away time
(06-14-2018, 08:22 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: can someone explain to me how to manage stacks, eg with ore from mining? getting back into the game and struggling with it since stacks were added in my away time

Stacked items are just one type of ore/material that is turned into a single item which makes it easier to manage and to take up less space. There might be some issues though.

Here are some stack managing tips:

1. If you have several ores of the same type in a pile you can click-drag one of the ores onto the floor to get all the ores stacked.
2. Click-dragging a stack onto the floor will split it in half. You can keep doing that until you have single ore left, and if you click-drag it on the floor again it'll stack all the ores and stacks together.
3. Click dragging a pile of ores onto crate will move the ores into it but the ores will not get stacked.
4. Click dragging a stack into crate will move it inside as if it was a single item.

Materials like metal bars or glass blocks can be stacked while foods and botany produce can't be.

Walking over a stack of ores while holding ore scoop loads up all the ores properly IIRC.

Avoid putting stacks into the reclaimers directly as it might count it as single item, for instance if you put 20 ores in you'll get a single bar out. (Unless this has been already fixed)
Splitting the stack and then manually loading ores into reclaimer might work, IIRC you can also load ores into nano-fabricator and they will get melted down into materials.

You can also load up furnances in the Engineering by click-dragging the char crate onto the furnance (you will have to open and close the char crate first for the game to register the ores properly). This actually may or may not work with the fabricators as well. (Click-dragging crates with ores onto the fabricator)
(06-14-2018, 08:22 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: can someone explain to me how to manage stacks, eg with ore from mining? getting back into the game and struggling with it since stacks were added in my away time

Click drag an ore or a stack of ores to a tile and all adjacent ores of the same kind should stack with it. Click drag a stack of ores to a tile, and it should split, given that there are no adjacent ores of the same kind.
I've always wondered, in terms of AI Laws, is a rank defined by the original holder or current holder of the associated access/ID? I've had rounds where the Clown took the Captain's ID (not the spare), and the Captain would order me to track the Clown, and the Clown would order me not to, occasionally resulting in hilarious order pileups.
I believe that's one of the "interpret that however you want but stick to that interpretation after" situations.
You've got access to the ship manifest, so you can always use that as reference
(06-15-2018, 05:49 PM)Xeram Wrote: I believe that's one of the "interpret that however you want but stick to that interpretation after" situations.

Pretty much, yeah. Manifest is a good idea.

(05-22-2018, 06:25 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Did the status effect system change how stun reducers work? Used to be that I could load myself up with cigs, coffee, and hot chocolate and shrug off most low-grade stuns, maybe even escape Beepsky if I roll well enough, now it feels like I'm lucky to shave off a couple seconds from slipping. I mean, it makes stuns a lot less easily cheesable, I'm just wondering where this came from.

The values need to be adjusted. It was not a 1:1 direct port from the old to new system. Perhaps make a thread with stuff that felt like it used to be better.

(05-19-2018, 04:48 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Does anyone know where I can learn more about the new food system? I know that certain stats are earned from it like gassy or energized, but what are all the stat effects and which foods are they associated with?

Not public currently. They need to be moved over to the new status system anyways.

(04-18-2018, 04:21 PM)Haprenti Wrote: I think the HoP computer only change the name of your job on your ID so you're still registered with your former job in for instance the bank records. It seems your job on your ID doesn't seem to be anything else than just a display, not linked to anything other than the card.

Correct, as far as current code goes.

(03-16-2018, 07:44 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: I tried to use ABC-U to make a copy of the loafer within the last month, and despite I think, Drago? coming over to mock my failure and also help me figure out why it wasn't working, it did not work.  Materials loaded, etc.

So I think it got axed.

Loafers were axed, yeah. The permittedObjectTypes and permittedTileTypes are available in the code.

Fun little trick that probably counts as a bug: Mining bags consider stacked ores to be one single item, no matter how much stuff is in that stack. Thus, you can carry effectively infinite amounts of ore in a satchel if you stack them neatly.
(This is a bug, isnt it? I ~really~ need to learn the difference between benign game-jank and actual honest-to-dinkum bugs. Maybe instead of accepting bugs as gameplay and not thinking twice about [or not considering that I might be] abusing quirks and broken features, I should report them. Thanks for pulling my head out of my ass, Wonk.)

(06-15-2018, 07:56 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:
(05-22-2018, 06:25 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Did the status effect system change how stun reducers work? Used to be that I could load myself up with cigs, coffee, and hot chocolate and shrug off most low-grade stuns, maybe even escape Beepsky if I roll well enough, now it feels like I'm lucky to shave off a couple seconds from slipping. I mean, it makes stuns a lot less easily cheesable, I'm just wondering where this came from.

Roger, gathering data.