Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
A little Question and Answer Thread.
Alright, I've got some questions:

• What's the difference between OR components and Signal Check components? They both seem the same from the wiki descriptions (at least to me idk)
  • How do you run programs on the DWAINE mainframe using the powernet MechComp component?
  • Adding on to the above, how do you get eval results back through the powernet component?\
  • Last thing: how are selection components best utilized? (give some examples of their usage if you can and also how they're used)
Will the "disarm" choke keep someone knocked out the way a "kill" choke does?

I've used the latter to keep someone out while removing things from them, and usually they recover after I let go, but I'd rather avoid accidental deaths
(09-21-2017, 09:14 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Will the "disarm" choke keep someone knocked out the way a "kill" choke does?

I've used the latter to keep someone out while removing things from them, and usually they recover after I let go, but I'd rather avoid accidental deaths

I think the disarm grab just moves them onto your tile.  I don't know much beyond the fact that it doesn't knock someone out.

Edit:Keep some Salbutamol on you and force a victim to eat it after you're done to keep them from dying
Are drones meant to be able to drive the cargo tractor?
Or ride skateboards?
Or place hats on themselves with the magtractor?
Or steal segways?
Because these are all things drones can do.
(09-20-2017, 11:47 AM)Triacontakai Wrote: Alright, I've got some questions:

• What's the difference between OR components and Signal Check components? They both seem the same from the wiki descriptions (at least to me idk)
  • How do you run programs on the DWAINE mainframe using the powernet MechComp component?
  • Adding on to the above, how do you get eval results back through the powernet component?\
  • Last thing: how are selection components best utilized? (give some examples of their usage if you can and also how they're used)

OR: lots of inputs, looks for an exact signal and sends its send-signal when found.
Signal check: you can either check string or set a trigger. Looks for an exact string inside a signal and sends that whole signal or its send-signal when found.

Basically you pretend to be a terminal where someone's typing in all those commands. How do you do that? Spoofed packets. And that's where the powernet comes in, since it's an easy way of sending packets over the wired network.

You could set up a second powernet just for receiving things, and connect that to a signal check or something, and that to other stuff (sound synthesizer, signal builder, whatever). But in general, powernets aren't gonna be super useful for receiving back certain things, since they pick up so many signals. The thing you're looking for might get lost in the mix. The thing with MechComp components is that almost all of them have limits.

I haven't done much work with selection components, but it looks like it'd be useful for stuff where you want to send something to a bunch of specific people or things in quick succession (eg. PDA bombs). And in general, just storing stuff you might wanna access later.
(09-24-2017, 04:47 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote: Are drones meant to be able to drive the cargo tractor?
Or ride skateboards?
Or place hats on themselves with the magtractor?
Or steal segways?
Because these are all things drones can do.

1. No, probably shouldn't. Drones are coded so they pass over people, with that they can actively block the crew.
2. Yes
3. Yes.
4. No, same reason as above.
Drones can also pick up the piano/organ

It's their only way to play it, but it does let them drop it down wherever they'd like
Thing is though, when a drone rides a segway, they still pass through people. Truly spooky. Boo
(09-25-2017, 10:48 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: Thing is though, when a drone rides a segway, they still pass through people. Truly spooky. Boo

It's a feature!
Is there a trick to crusherpoking to make it not kill you, or is it pure luck? I have seen people poke it 10+ times, but whenever I decide to crusherpoke it always gibs me on the second poke without fail.
(10-05-2017, 04:36 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Is there a trick to crusherpoking to make it not kill you, or is it pure luck? I have seen people poke it 10+ times, but whenever I decide to crusherpoke it always gibs me on the second poke without fail.

pure luck. before the changes to click buffering that may or may not have happened, you could probably have clicked it a billion times during a lag spike for extra clicks before it gibbed you
Are polymorphed creatures considered human? Does the same apply to lizards, player skeletons, etc. created by genetics? I thought they were obviously not but then I thought about them being formerly humans and then maybe being human inside but not human outside and then I suddenly found myself at the ship of Theseus problem.
(10-07-2017, 10:28 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: Are polymorphed creatures considered human? Does the same apply to lizards, player skeletons, etc. created by genetics?  I thought they were obviously not but then I thought about them being formerly humans and then maybe being human inside but not home outside and then I  suddenly found myself at the ship of Theseus problem.

ya know i had a giant discussion a while back with like 40 admins and more players but i cannot remember the outcome.

at the very least, polymorphed creatures and genetic stuff are generally PLAYERS so some level of decency is nice
I suppose it really depends on the situation. If you're another human, it's kind of a dick move to kill animal players and it might be adminhelpable? I can't say for sure.

That being said, if you're a Silicon, I would imagine Animals technically AREN'T humans, so laws that protect them don't really apply in that regard, though it's still kind of a dick move.

I also think that genetic experiments would probably count as human for all AI law purposes.
Material Science question-

ARMOR PLATES! Can these be used to make personal armor anymore? Are they just good for pods? I don't need to know HOW, I just wanna know if it's a dead end and the wiki needs updating. I can make pretty decent armor between jumpsuits and armored gloves, just wondering if there's another level to pursue.