Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let Detomatix signals blow up non-PDA items
Guardbuddies, security terminals, lockers, fire alarms, AI turrets, computers, securitrons, mulebots... so many things have network addresses. Why not let us overcharge -their- batteries too?
That would be pretty funny to watch if a locker just inexplicably detonated
Why not let it allow you to do that over cameras with a targeting interface, just park down with a television or something and then suddenly WHAMMO, the local fire alarm blows up when someone tries to pull it because of the fire you set

Also it means less "lol, your ID is gone now" because of the variety, detomatix is just garbage if people turn send/receive off like they logically should because NO ONE uses PDA messaging
(08-04-2016, 06:45 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: That would be pretty funny to watch if a locker just inexplicably detonated
Why not let it allow you to do that over cameras with a targeting interface, just park down with a television or something and then suddenly WHAMMO, the local fire alarm blows up when someone tries to pull it because of the fire you set

Also it means less "lol, your ID is gone now" because of the variety, detomatix is just garbage if people turn send/receive off like they logically should because NO ONE uses PDA messaging

I use pda messaging all the time. It's much better way to get someone's attention since its easier to miss the radio chat 

It's also a good way to talk to people semi-secretly
okay SOME PEOPLE use pda messaging!! (i'm not actually mad)
good point though, plus it's the only way to tease/explain secret chems that even ghosts can't spy on
forget if you can intercept pda messages somehow
Multiple ways to intercept pda messages. I think ghosts can actually see the PDA messages of people they're observing too for some reason.

I like more uses for pda bombs. They would have to be made unspoofable though, if they already haven't. I haven't done it in a long time.
(08-04-2016, 10:17 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: forget if you can intercept pda messages somehow

yeah you can, even the ai can
admin question: if you PDA'd someone Secret Chemaronis would you get banned since it's interceptable
is there -any- way to tell them directly that won't get you in trouble
PDAing would be your best bet; interceptions are rare enough that I think it wouldn't matter, just make sure some rude mechanic hasn't set up a repeater first.
detomax is a mild irritation and not a good investment in most cases, since you usually want to steal peoples' ids rather than destroy them. it could use a buff. but how do we pick what objects are good to be targetable or not? fire alarms and tvs and shit dont seem like a useful target, and if you want to pop a locker or door open youd have gotten an emag.

manufacturers and lab equipment would make better targets, breaking manufacturers or other eqipment can really cripple a department, and doing it remotely keeps your hands clean.

maybe even apcs could be remotely ruinable, with a 10% or 20% chance that fabricators and other equipments connected to said apc would overload and blow. this would only temporarily take down an area as apcs are fixable, and if your chance didnt ruin the rest of the equipment you wanted it to, you would have to go in and mop up personally with more conventional bombs or weapons.

edit: oh haha, i know

health monitor implants are connected to the pda network in order to report peoples injuries to doctors. having one start spazzing out inside you could be real nasty, even if it doesnt necessarily explode. it could even induce organ failure. the new implant gun could even enable you to make targets vulnerable to this more easily under the guise of helping them.

and the security hud glasses, theyve got to be hooked into some kind of network to be giving updates on peoples criminal status.
(08-05-2016, 04:52 AM)misto Wrote: detomax is a mild irritation and not a good investment in most cases, since you usually want to steal peoples' ids rather than destroy them. it could use a buff. but how do we pick what objects are good to be targetable or not? fire alarms and tvs and shit dont seem like a useful target, and if you want to pop a locker or door open youd have gotten an emag.

manufacturers and lab equipment would make better targets, breaking manufacturers or other eqipment can really cripple a department, and doing it remotely keeps your hands clean.

maybe even apcs could be remotely ruinable, with a 10% or 20% chance that fabricators and other equipments connected to said apc would overload and blow. this would only temporarily take down an area as apcs are fixable, and if your chance didnt ruin the rest of the equipment you wanted it to, you would have to go in and mop up personally with more conventional bombs or weapons.

health monitor implants are connected to the pda network in order to report peoples injuries to doctors. having one start spazzing out inside you could be real nasty, even if it doesnt necessarily explode. it could even induce organ failure. the new implant gun could even enable you to make targets vulnerable to this more easily under the guise of helping them.

and the security hud glasses, theyve got to be hooked into some kind of network to be giving updates on peoples criminal status.

Sec hud glasses should cause blindness

I feel like a hacker antag could have a lot of fun if the detomax thing was expanded.
(08-05-2016, 11:15 AM)atomic1fire Wrote:
(08-05-2016, 04:52 AM)misto Wrote: detomax is a mild irritation and not a good investment in most cases, since you usually want to steal peoples' ids rather than destroy them. it could use a buff. but how do we pick what objects are good to be targetable or not? fire alarms and tvs and shit dont seem like a useful target, and if you want to pop a locker or door open youd have gotten an emag.

Sec hud glasses should cause blindness

I feel like a hacker antag could have a lot of fun if the detomax thing was expanded.

I am all for detomaxes being expanded into a hacking made easy tool. Emags are always being suggested for having all these functions. A hacker app could fill in the blanks while making the emag a less all purpose tool.

Retain it's ability to blow stuff up, but give it softer options too, like turning things off temporarily. 

The louder and more disruptive an action, the greater liklihood of the person getting "traced" and their identity being found out
make detomatrix watch_dogs magic hacking phone
(08-05-2016, 01:17 PM)misto Wrote: make detomatrix watch_dogs magic hacking phone

Since there are other tools that double as traitor items (e.g sleepy pens) why not just make the detomax an entire PDA module you can shove into your PDA. Screwdriver your PDA apart, take out the flashlight module, and replace it with an IR hacker module. Why IR? because then you have to walk up to an object to hack it.

Basically the equivalent of a tv remote for hackers.
What about a more technical hacking kit? For 4 TC, you geta box containing:
  • A 256 RAM PDA cartridge containing BOMB, MISSILE, Packet Sniffer, Packet Sender, Ping, Signalix 5 programs.
  • A portable ThinkDoS computer.
  • A piece of paper with the round's netpasses on it.
  • A mainframe backup tape.
  • A ThinkDoS disk with FROG, Ping, WizWrite, SigCraft and SigCatcher written to it.
  • A trenchcoat.
  • A fedora.
This would enable someone to:
-Bomb however many PDAs they want.
-Call/recall the shuttle.
-Adjust AI turret settings remotely.
-Control Guardbuddies.
-Make a fancy computer.
-Spoof door and locker access.
-Spoof PDA messages.
-Look like a total edgelord while doing it.

(Note that everything on this list aside from the two Detomatix programs are things someone could get ahold of during the round normally. You're basically buying a detomatix and then paying 3TC to get the rest of your hacking gear assembled immediately.)
I would absolutely be delighted if there were a Hacking Kit, maybe it'd encourage people to learn the packets/etc.