Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Remove the majority of headsets, replace them with PDAs
Detomatrixes (Detomatrices?) overload the battery, right? What about instead of destroying the PDA, d-mats blow up the battery and not the whole PDA, leaving it intact but needing another battery. It would still fry the ID, maybe leaving behind a scorched ID that's useless until you bring it to the HoP to wipe off all the soot and/or finish the job he started.

So it isn't a straight up turbonerf, maybe have d-mats set the target on fire too?
(08-02-2016, 08:17 AM)Roomba Wrote: This might be more of a player culture issue than anything else, but if headsets were tied to PDAs then anyone buying 5/6 detomatixes off the bat would pretty much end the round five minutes in because replacing a whole station's worth of PDAs/headsets and and IDs that were caught in the blasts would be tedious as heck and it's not very much fun going a round being unable to communicate with anyone not in your field of view, considering how large the station is. It really would be easier to just call the shuttle if something like that happened.
Dang, I don't use detomaxes but I just realized they're only one TC. Maybe those ought to be more expensive?

But headsets available from manufacturers or cartyparty vending machines isn't a bad idea. We keep talking about how money is worthless and there's too many items lying around.

Oh also, in regards to ear slots, I'd love to see more things for them since I feel like since headsets are so important it's a neglected item slot. 

Things like stethoscopes for medical examinations and cracking safes. Headphones and walkmans to listen to little looping songs. Universal translators to decipher Martian/monkey/Swedish text. Brain eating worms that crawl into that slot on adventure zones and can getcha if you're not paying attention.
(08-02-2016, 02:24 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Detomatrixes (Detomatrices?) overload the battery, right? What about instead of destroying the PDA, d-mats blow up the battery and not the whole PDA, leaving it intact but needing another battery. It would still fry the ID, maybe leaving behind a scorched ID that's useless until you bring it to the HoP to wipe off all the soot and/or finish the job he started.

So it isn't a straight up turbonerf, maybe have d-mats set the target on fire too?

I think an alternate PDA thing where a virus infects the PDA and messes with the cart software and user settings could be fun. Like randomly citing or giving people fines or changing their alert message to things that sound like unlock codes.
can't you spoof deomatix packets making the consequences even worse if some dude sends a deomatix packet to every pda? (not entirely sure as to how spoofing deomatix works so if you can't do what i'm saying you can ignore me)
(08-02-2016, 03:49 PM)Triacontakai Wrote: can't you spoof deomatix packets making the consequences even worse if some dude sends a deomatix packet to every pda? (not entirely sure as to how spoofing deomatix works so if you can't do what i'm saying you can ignore me)

Theoretically yes, but it would be very slow and you'd need to manually input the targeting information. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to explain how to do this.
Some dude once wrote a DWAINE script to send a detomatix packet to PDAs 10-15 times before the PDA disappeared, then sent it to the entire station, instagibbing everyone who had PDA messaging on in one move.
(08-03-2016, 02:08 AM)Roomba Wrote: Some dude once wrote a DWAINE script to send a detomatix packet to PDAs 10-15 times before the PDA disappeared, then sent it to the entire station, instagibbing everyone who had PDA  messaging on in one move.

Pretty sure that was due to PDAs not blowing up at the time due to a recent ID in PDA change. It didn't work when I did the same thing later.

... and yeah, spoofing and mass-sending the detomax packets used to be super easy. Not sure about now. The ID in PDA bit was the last time I tried.

About the actual idea I'm not so sure. I don't really get why we would want or need it. What was the specific goal again? Item consolidation? Making PDAs more useful? Making detomax more useful?
A lot of the ideas for more stuff in ear slots are pretty cool, but are limited by the fact that earpieces are kinda essential to know what's going on. Maybe keep earpieces, but have the PDA function as an earpiece when worn in the Id slot, so the earpieces could be swapped out for other stuff?
(08-03-2016, 04:48 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: A lot of the ideas for more stuff in ear slots are pretty cool, but are limited by the fact that earpieces are kinda essential to know what's going on. Maybe keep earpieces, but have the PDA function as an earpiece when worn in the Id slot, so the earpieces could be swapped out for other stuff?

That's how I pictured it, rather than needing an earpiece. That the PDA would be functionally the same. Though maybe with an earpiece the chance of someone overhearing the other end of a conversation on private channels is reduced. 

Item consolidation was the goal. If anything though, just having calls and group chats on the PDA should be the main take away idea here.