Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
A means to stop people fucking up your engine setup
I just came back from a Monster Hunter-induced hiatus, and immediately remembered why playing as an Engineer on Goonstation is an exercise in frustration. Just as I was almost done, some shithead opens Both canisters on the cold loop until they were empty, attached plasma (which I heavily suspect was my HOT LOOP FUEL) to the auxiliary cold port, and proceeds to flip all the valves. This lead to the engine stalling out and dying before it even got do run, since I was too busy stopping a non-engineering-related plasma-fire.

Said asshole then got himself stuck in the plasma storage room and went brain dead, because he doesn't realize that adminhelp is a thing. Argh!

This is a problem I have noticed all the goddamn time. I love setting up the engine without resorting to "kinda easy mode" hellburns, but with engineers being able to just waltz in and fuck over is too easy. The fact that by the rules we cannot beat the shit outta these saboteurs and use their corpses as furnace fuel because of server rules is not only enraging, but may be the reason why nobody ever picks the job anymore. Either we need a simpler engine setup, or a means of locking out people during the setup time.
Have you tried talking to the person in question, explaining what and why? Clear communication is a key part of staying on good terms with your engineering buddies.
This isn't limited to engineers on Cog2. Anyone with a fire extinguisher and maint access can extinguish the combustion chamber.
Problem is, these dorks will just waltz in without saying a word. When you tell them that they are fucking it up, they then try to fix their mistake, only causing more problems.
It's just something that happens. Even with communication there's always the errant new guy feeding random gas into a line because they wanted to see what happened. Since they're usually new it doesn't bother me. I just hop right in and shove even more gas in there explaining what each does. At least until we catch on fire.

To be honest this only happened to me about 5-10 times total in all of my engine setups, and I've set up waaay too many. It's always either a new guy or some jerk who broke in because they wanted to see something explode. The former requires patience; the latter requires a toolbox.