Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Console Deconstruction
Some relevant context: I play almost exclusively on LLJK1, so can see how this may be seen as an issue on the much more chaotic LLJK2, hence the post to get some feedback.

Some computer consoles cannot be deconstructed once placed, whereas some can. I'm not sure if the list of those that can and those that can't was a conscious choice, but would like to propose the following:
  • Consoles that can currently be easily reverted to the last stage of constructing a console frame (i.e. disconnected monitor) continue as-is.
  • Consoles that cannot currently be easily reverted to the last stage of constructing a console frame are listed and reviewed. Some are made easily revertable (as above), all others are given an initial two stages (which can be undone by applying in reverse order) requiring:
    • application of a tool (e.g. screwdriver) to open an access panel
    • appropriate level of ID(s) (relevant department head(s)) to unlock the device for "maintenance mode"
    • application of a screwdriver to disconnect the monitor (as per normal consoles), and other relevant steps
My reasoning for this is primarily motivated by something that could be fixed in another way, namely putting a genetics circuitboard into the tech storage on the NSS Destiny map (I've not actually looked if this has been done on Cogmap2).

I've recently taken to applying a small explosion to genetics early in the round if I'm the only one operating in the area to cause the console to become broken (allowing me at the circuitboard which I can then scan with the mechanic's device analyser to create more of) before fixing all of the damage.

I'd view placing a genetics circuitboard in there more of a workaround than a "fix", however; the proposed changes above offer much greater flexibility overall.

My concerns are as follows:
  • Allows traitors etc. to relatively easily disable key consoles (esp. cloning console, AI upload) in a non-explosive (i.e. not immediately obvious) fashion.
  • Allows high-ranked traitors to subvert the AI in a very hard-to-reverse way (i.e. upload subverting law, then deconstruct the AI upload console and destroying/hiding the circuitboards).
To mitigate this somewhat, I would suggest that any console that is deconstructed in this way creates an automatic PDA broadcast on the relevant department channel to let others know what's going on (including the name of the unlocking person unless the console is also emagged), or that those consoles which are deemed important require the IDs of (arbitrarily) 2 separate department heads to unlock for deconstruction. This doesn't stop the above, but gives an incentive to not do it.

I'm totally open to other suggestions, as well as insight onto which consoles should could fall into each category.

I should add that "it might take quite a bit of work" isn't really a downside to the above - I'm willing to work on the relevant changes myself - but am very interested in finding out whether it should be done at all and what precautions are taken to stop it being abused.

Thanks!
sounds alright mostly.

pda broadcasts about tampering/equipment status are ok (should also go to ais and borgs), but i dont like the notion that they will directly squeal someones name in that broadcast unless emagged
(07-22-2016, 09:10 AM)misto Wrote: sounds alright mostly.

pda broadcasts about tampering/equipment status are ok (should also go to ais and borgs), but i dont like the notion that they will directly squeal someones name in that broadcast unless emagged

The squealing thing was mostly a "stop people disassembling all the consoles" notion. I suppose stating what's being disassembled would give security plenty to work on.
The only consoles I know of that can't be disassembled without first breaking the glass are the genetics console and the cloning console. The reason these two can't be disassembled seems to merely be coding oversight.

The AI upload CAN be disassembled.

Compare:
genetics disassembly code

cloning disassembly code

AI upload disassembly code

The cloning console and the genetics console don't have any code to handle disassembly if the console ISN'T broken.

The AI upload and all other computers I could find have code for both broken and unbroken consoles. My guess is that someone just forgot to update the code for the genetics and cloning consoles.
To be completely fair, all things on the station including fire alarms, air alarms, consoles and ATM's should be deconstructible and constructible.
(07-22-2016, 10:18 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: The only consoles I know of that can't be disassembled without first breaking the glass are the genetics console and the cloning console. The reason these two can't be disassembled seems to merely be coding oversight.

The AI upload CAN be disassembled.

Yep, the genetics and the cloning ones are definitely the two I was mainly worried about; I agree that they look like coding oversights.

Happy to make the simple change to let you disassemble them, but I think it should be quite a bit trickier for someone to disassemble the cloning console (that thing would be a pretty serious traitor target, otherwise), hence me looking for ideas for more secure consoles.
TVs like in bar are screwy because there's no way to put them back on tables since they both revert to sec monitors, and are impossible to move onto a table in the first place if someone removes the table.