We all fucked up with the VOX thing.
Usual Character Name: Noah Buttes when human, variable when AI/borg, typically something like F.A.R.T., Buttesbot, or BIRDWELL.
BYOND Username: Powmonkey
Current Status (Regular, Mentor, HOS, Badmin): HoS, unofficial patch maker

AI Experience (150 word minimum): I've been around for almost five years now, and I've learned a lot through my experiences and through osmosis over that time span. I've got the opening AI routine down to a T. Close the blast shields, beep over the radio, beep over binary chat, set the solars, transfer twenty grand to genetics, and then solve the telescience equations if I feel like it. Once all that's done, I'm pretty much free to respond to any requests, door related or otherwise. Besides the more mundane stuff, I've done pretty much everything you can think of as an AI and then some. The following are some of my escapades.
  • I ran the station as a dungeon master. People were forced to make dice rolls for door openings and other requests. "Roll 1d20 for perception to track the changeling, Captain."
  • I pretended to be a snidely whiplash-esque villain and managed to convince most of the station I was rogue without actually doing anything bad. Towards the end of the round, someone slapped a fake mustache on me for my efforts.
  • I got the repo ion storm law and became boltbeard, the dread pirate of the seven stars. I led my crew of borg buccaneers and plundered the station for its booty.
  • My favorite one was definitely the time when I became the electronic consciousness of Macho Man Randy Savage as part of the memorial celebrations for his passing. I ran wild with the macho madness gimmick and managed to get just about the whole crew on board with shouting his famous catch phrases and wrestling each other. An admin (Shotgunbill maybe? I don't recall exactly who it was) played along with the gimmick and started playing sounds to go along with the macho phrases I was saying. It was really fun and spontaneous since I basically did it on my own initiative.

Sadly, amazing moments like those can't happen every round, so I've also learned how to tolerate the drudgery of an average AI round. You have to learn to make your own fun as an AI.

Why do you want VOX: So I can make more magical moments like the above happen. Also so I can finally get the crew to pay attention to my repeated warnings about the nuclear bomb in genetics.

How would you not run VOX into the ground (50 word minimum): I would only use it when it's appropriate. Roundstart greetings, emergencies, and special events are all good times to use it. VOX quickly loses its luster when it's used to spam "ass day" over and over again. You gotta keep it rare so it stays magical. I would save VOX for those special moments when the clown drives a dozen screaming people into the combustion chamber before blowing them up with a pipebomb. "Attention crew, the clown has turned the combustion chamber into a circus. Its popularity has exploded."

Messages In This Thread
TheNewTeddy AI/VOX Application - by TheNewTeddy - 07-05-2016, 03:26 AM
Musketman12 AI/VOX Application - by Musketman12 - 07-05-2016, 07:20 AM
medsal15's VOX/AI application - by medsal15 - 07-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Noah Buttes/Powmonkey AI VOX Access Application - by Noah Buttes - 07-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Erev for VOX - by Erev - 07-05-2016, 01:21 PM
NateTheSquid for VOX - by NateTheSquid - 07-05-2016, 04:28 PM
RE: medsal15's VOX/AI application - by 69andahalf - 07-06-2016, 02:29 PM
RE: Erev for VOX - by 69andahalf - 07-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Zaccy14 for VOX - by zaccy14 - 07-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Poland spring vox application - by poland spring - 07-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Totheark - VOX Application - by Totheark - 07-14-2016, 07:41 AM
DaberWebir VOX Access - by Dabir - 07-25-2016, 03:04 PM
RE: DaberWebir VOX Access - by Noah Buttes - 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM