Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[FEATURE] Non-useless spears
This patch makes spears actually do damage!

WOW!

WOAH!

It's actually not much more complicated than that.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...s?expand=1
Does it make people bleed? If not, it should.
(07-17-2016, 07:48 PM)medsal15 Wrote: Does it make people bleed? If not, it should.

Yes
I hope they stick in people when thrown!

And maybe pin them to walls!!
(07-17-2016, 09:23 PM)Grifflez Wrote: I hope they stick in people when thrown!

And maybe pin them to walls!!

Nope.

They're just like much much weaker hunting spears that scale based upon the materials you use to make them.

Make a good enough spear and you have a pretty good throwing and stabbing weapon!

Not butcher knife good, but on par with or better than a dagger if you put enough effort into it.
Do the materials make a big difference then?

I know you can make a spear out of some pretty unusual things including stun batons and crowbars.
C-saber tipped erebite shaft spears.

Though if the spears were to function differently because certain things are used as the tip, I'd rather thrown-weapons functioning as melee attacks was put in.
(07-18-2016, 01:06 AM)Grifflez Wrote: C-saber tipped erebite shaft spears.

Though if the spears were to function differently because certain things are used as the tip, I'd rather thrown-weapons functioning as melee attacks was put in.

That's a feature already, and it's called pies.

(07-17-2016, 10:37 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Do the materials make a big difference then?

I know you can make a spear out of some pretty unusual things including stun batons and crowbars.

The spear basically takes the core item (rods, crowbar, baton, etc.) and adds its force and throwforce to the head item (shard, scissors, razor).

Attacking someone with the spear instead calls an attack from the buffed head item, so you can still use a scalpel spear to do surgery for instance.

Throwing the spear weakens anyone who's hit by an amount equal to the throwforce of the buffed head/7 rounded down, up to a maximum of 10. It also inflicts bleeding damage equal to the same amount, only without the max of 10.

Materials can make a big difference because they can affect the force and throwforce of the items in question.
Plasma shard spears should be seriously robust then...

I've solo'd a mean old space drone using one plasma shard in a spacesuit and near bled out but still won. The last time I tried drone melee before that I bled out from that stupid buzzsaw those things have. A plasma spear could seriously even the odds.
Gem shard spears, if you can get a tier 1 gem like a sapphire or ruby, would correspondingly WRECK FACE
I love this so much, I made a spear a few days ago and was so disappointed when it did almost literally no damage and didn't cause bleed. I'm glad that the improvised weapon concept is getting some work, because now people will maybe do mining sometimes
I just pushed a small update that made the throw_speed and throw_range of crafted spears match that of hunting spears.

Also implements stamina.

Code:
        head.stamina_damage += core.stamina_damage
        head.stamina_cost += core.stamina_cost
        head.stamina_crit_chance += core.stamina_crit_chance
See all above: Words
Yes please
Just built my first spear earlier and was immensely disappointed. This patcch absolutely needs to be implemented. One another note i noticed you can use stun batons to make spears. would it be balanced to add code that applied a weakened version of the stun batons stun or one that detracts stamina based on the value of the head items conduciveness?
(09-04-2016, 02:36 PM)New525 Wrote: Just built my first spear earlier and was immensely disappointed. This patcch absolutely needs to be implemented. One another note i noticed you can use stun batons to make spears. would it be balanced to add code that applied a weakened version of the stun batons stun or one that detracts stamina based on the value of the head items conduciveness?

If someone else wants to add this in when/if this patch is implemented, I'd have no problem with it.

I mean, stun baton pies are already a thing, so why not?