Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PERF] Garbage Collection tweaks.
I've asked Wire to send me some recent profiling logs of LLJK #2 to see if i would be able to kill some of the recent lagspikes, this patch intends to implement some features that would help me cut down on the amount of time /Del would take up, as it's Total CPU was 383.687 during a recent round on LLJK #2. byond happened

The earlier version of this patch can be found HERE as the current version has been updated after some feedback and questions from DrSingh.

Q: DELETE_QUEUE_DEBUG tells me 'This is expensive. don't turn it on on the server unless you want things to be bad and slow'
A: This isn't actually the case, this patch adds a small fix that removes one of those slowdowns, and list additions aren't THAT slow.

Q: <drsingh> making stuff get garbage collected isn't going to reduce the amount of cpu use by del
A: Unless I'm being wrong here, calling /del less often will result in less time spent on looking up references, and then again having some logs couldn't hurt because the profiling logs tell us /del is being awfully expensive.

Q: Is it a good idea to merge this?
A: Yes, merging this and sending me the resulting logs would allow me to update and fix up some of the current issues related to pooling and garbage collection, which would result in some-what less lag.

Q: Is it safe to merge this?
A: Yes, just make sure you update _build_config.dm and enable #define DELETE_QUEUE_DEBUG

Q Where can i find the code?
A H E R E
we did some stuff with this yeah ask singh