Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Skateboards
Recommended Listening: 

[Image: 4MXnTHB.gif][Image: 4MXnTHB.gif][Image: 4MXnTHB.gif][Image: 4MXnTHB.gif][Image: 4MXnTHB.gif][Image: 4MXnTHB.gif][Image: 4MXnTHB.gif][Image: 4MXnTHB.gif][Image: 4MXnTHB.gif]

THE SKATEBOARD is an item that spawns at round start in some out of the way area of the station, randomly appearing in crew quarters, the central warehouse, tucked away in maintenence, or some other place where an enterprising assistant might find it. There might be more than one. It is a bulky object, so it won't fit in a backpack, but it can be carried around.

How does it work?

You can board the skateboard much like a segway, and like a segway, it gives you Pac-man style movement where the only way to stop normally is to dismount. Where it differs from a segway is that if the rider collides with an anchored furniture-type object (such as a table), the rider will perform a trick, which causes their sprite to do a little flip or otherwise spaz out via the atom controls and randomly pulls from a list of nouns and adjectives like so:

$name does a/an $adjective $noun on $object!

Adjectives: sicknasty, sick, sweet, bitchin', darkside, goofy, aggro, gnarly, mondo, backside, blindside, bomb, frontside, juicy, 180, 360, 720, totally sweet, totally sick, 
Nouns: grind, aerial, cabbalerial, eggplant, rollo, flip, heel flip, kick flip, nollie kick flip, aerial, lipslide, mctwist, tailslide, finger flip, butter flip, calf wrap, g-turn, coco-slide, handstand, heli-pop, gazelle, m80, kickback, jaywalk, pogo, pressure flip, streetplant, shove-it, railslide

Once the trick is performed, the skater moves in a random direction away from the object and gains a small amount of speed and a stat called sickness. Sickness is a measure of how objectively cool you are. Skaters with high amounts of sickness gain increasing bonuses such as the ability to ollie over other players, larger and bolder font whenever they do tricks. It would be extremely good if a sickness meter popped up on the screen while you were skating. Wearing a helmet makes your sickness go up slightly slower because helmets are not cool. Sickness naturally increases while cannabis is in your system.

Beefing It

Much like with the segway or clown car, crashing into a wall, getting pushed or stunned, or (if your sickness isn't high enough to ollie over people) colliding with a person will send you and your board flying. Naturally, you take damage from falling, which is greatly aggravated if you have a clown's clumsiness gene or you're not wearing a helmet. The amount of damage you take is higher the more sickness you have. Nanotrasen was recently devastated by the loss of Tony Hawk's genetic line when his eighth-generation clone, the last of his kind, accidentally crashed and was thrown through a reinforced window and into the vacuum of space. Beefing it resets your sickness to zero.

Skateboarding is not a Crime

Skateboards should be flagged as contraband and beepsky and all the robuddies should automatically try to arrest anyone who's riding one. Obviously, security is expected to confiscate any skateboards they find, as it is extremely unsafe to use a skateboard on a fucking space station.

Tr8r Sk8r

The traitor skateboard is faster than normal and functions as a powerful bludgeoning weapon that knocks opponents down. It costs 12 telecrystals and when purchased, spawns a set of floating holographic letters (S K A T E) around the station that, if skated through by the owner of the skateboard, massively raise sickness. Instead of ollieing over people, the traitor skateboard does tricks on them, inflicting massive damage.

edit: [Image: 27iRWzl.gif] Here's a riderless sprite of it being ridden, and also a sprite for when no one's on it.
Sunglasses should boost sickness too.
This is a good idea.
This is the best idea.

How does being a clown interact with skate boarding and sickness?
Yes please. I want to banana peel skate boarders so hard.
With alot of sickness you should be able to ollie over projectiles and dodge thrown objects.

Also unique boards!
I need my rainbow board! And it must be able to fly in space!
Doing a sick trick on it should have an 80% chance of failing resulting in the skateboard flying off and hitting someone and you falling on your head and getting hurt.

The other 20% of the time you should get the YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH played like when the detective puts on sunglasses.

Also rocket boots meets skateboard? YES.
(07-12-2016, 03:07 AM)TheOnlyRyan Wrote: Doing a sick trick on it should have an 80% chance of failing resulting in the skateboard flying off and hitting someone and you falling on your head and getting hurt.

How about using stamina? 100% stamina = 100% chance at succeeding.

More sickness = less stamina use.
(07-12-2016, 03:07 AM)TheOnlyRyan Wrote: Doing a sick trick on it should have an 80% chance of failing resulting in the skateboard flying off and hitting someone and you falling on your head and getting hurt.

The other 20% of the time you should get the YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH played like when the detective puts on sunglasses.

Also rocket boots meets skateboard? YES.

1) No, you crash by hitting people before you're sick enough to ollie over them, by hitting walls, or by rolling over certain objects. Bringing RNG into it would be ridiculous and ensure failure since you'd have to do a ton of tricks to boost your sickness.

2) Fewer annoying memes is better than more annoying memes tbh

3) :O
I feel like tricks should be something you should have to do manually rather than it being automatic, maybe with a tab similar to the wrestling belt, only without cooldowns.

Also you should be able to grind on tables
I can't wait to make ILLEGAL SKATEBOARD MODIFICATIONS to my ILLEGAL SKATEBOARD
My support is in full for this and I especially love the Traitor Sk8r idea, powerups sound hilarious
"h-hey guys why is this floating E her- OH GOD THE SICKNESS"
After the testrun I just had of it, I would definitely love to see this implemented after some fixes are applied.
I wholeheartedly support this entire thread on the condition that bodacious be added to the adjective list.
Hell yes, I want to drop bombalicious sick tricks all over the station.
If this gets in, hide an unreal air somewhere deep in space/telesci to act as the world's single worst skateboard.