Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Security Update
Exclamation 
After some chat upstairs I have decided that it's necessary to clarify a few things. Too many people are afraid to play security for fear of getting banned, so I've updated the security officer and space law wiki pages. Please do brig people for dumping hellchems in the hallway, smoking weed, or breaking into AI upload. Actions need consequences, it's part of what makes the game fun.

I can't speak for every admin, but I personally am going to promise that I probably won't ban you for security stuff if I see that you're acting in good faith, and in all cases I'm going to favor a jobban rather than a ban from the game entirely. Sec is a tough job but it's one that is really important to the game. It's security's role to make antagonists actually have to think about what they're doing, and lately I've seen a ton of people rampaging without meeting any real resistance, or walking around openly wielding traitor gear. That's not really fun for the crew or the antags, so let's step it up a little.

Anyway if you've got any feedback or you think I'm a comdom feel free to mention it here.
I would change the sentence for Trespassing to "None-Low"
These guidelines make it sound like Security is virtually never supposed to kill antags. Even if they're rampaging, the best you get is that it "may" justify killing them. Maybe we can remove the kid gloves if people are murdering each other?
"Corporate Treason is a blanket charge including corporate espionage, mutiny, mass murder, attempted destruction of large parts of the station et cetera. It is the single most serious charge that may be brought against a suspect and must only be used when said suspect is a confirmed traitor, a syndicate operative, or a member of a hostile organization such as the wizard federation. In these cases, security officers must risk their lives to detain or subdue the suspect by any means necessary, which may include the use of lethal force if authorized by a head or necessitated by the excigencies of the situation."
I do find it funny that a known murderer of two dozen 'might' constitute an execution when we used to chuck people out of airlocks for making the floors too wet. Times change, meng.

Summary Execution
Space Law is not the same thing as server rules. These are the NT-recommended guidelines. There's nothing stopping you or any other player from killing a defenseless antag on sight.

Make crime real.
(07-11-2016, 11:03 PM)MollyMillions Wrote: There's nothing stopping you or any other player from killing a defenseless antag on sight.

Except collateral damage. Although that doesn't seem to stop the vast majority of shitty vigilantes.

Also: brig times for assault-related charges seem ridiculously low.
I can't see myself following these sentencing guidelines. There's no crime that would make me sentence someone to less than 3:00 of brig time. Anything less important than that just isn't worth the effort of properly brigging someone and can be handled with a search and a scolding. If I see someone misusing it, I'm confiscating it and sticking it in a locker somewhere. Searches are standard issue with all arrests, not just ones pertaining to stolen goods. And I'm not going to take someone all the way to the brig for a search on Cog2. If you're cooperative, we can go to a security checkpoint. If you're being a dick, we can go to the nearest chair. But either way, we're not walking half way across the station just so I can empty your pockets.
(07-12-2016, 02:11 AM)Grek Wrote: I can't see myself following these sentencing guidelines. There's no crime that would make me sentence someone to less than 3:00 of brig time. Anything less important than that just isn't worth the effort of properly brigging someone and can be handled with a search and a scolding. If I see someone misusing it, I'm confiscating it and sticking it in a locker somewhere. Searches are standard issue with all arrests, not just ones pertaining to stolen goods. And I'm not going to take someone all the way to the brig for a search on Cog2. If you're cooperative, we can go to a security checkpoint. If you're being a dick, we can go to the nearest chair. But either way, we're not walking half way across the station just so I can empty your pockets.

Using security checkpoints is absolutely OK and you can search people or not per your own discretion on each and every arrest. If you don't see fit to brig a guy for less than 3 minutes, don't. Maybe don't read everything 100% literally when it explicitly states that it's meant to be a loose guideline? Why do SS13 players act like this.
Like Molly said these are guidelines to give new Security players a idea on how to handle things till they learn the gist of the job.
I'm not saying your a bad admin or that they're not guidelines or anything. I'm just giving feedback: I'll probably only use the bottom half of these suggestions, personally.
Despite my sour tone (sorry about that!) I took your suggestions to heart and edited the page a little to address your criticism. One thing about the short sentences is that they're meant to account for the fact that the arrest and processing itself can take a healthy chunk of time.
As a frequent sec player, I approve. It needs ironing out, but it looks good for now.
A lot of peeps get the idea in their head that when they hear "space law" they think of baystation or /tg/ and spazz out.
Or at least they used to. They don't actually attempt to remove their head outta their ass and realize that The Law is whatever is written and can be edited to be stricter or otherwise by the community at hand.

With this, I can actually name the crimes people are being charged with, and people aren't going to say "hey that's unfair" because I can clearly outline why it's not. I can also yell "DERELICTION OF DUTY" and "OBSTRUCTION" when beating up the captain.

Security for a long time has been missing some semblance of brains behind the wheels. Arresting someone and throwing them in the brig is only half the fun. The conversation that you get between you and the crimer is the other half, and having law would be something that would cause even more contention, which is good.
Example: "It was merely a harmless prank"
"You released a chembomb in chemistry that spiked everyone with LSD and melted off their faces"
"What am I being charged with officer?"
"Well.. Possesion, Gross Negligence, and one count of Second Degree Murder of the clown, whom will be pressing charges after he is cloned"
"I contest the point of Gross Negligence, my bomb was entirely intentional!"
"Then you are being charged with Sabotage"
"N--nooo"
Can we get a hardcover copy of space law somewhere in the brig?

I want to literally throw the book at criminals.