Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make mechanics components require power.
Because being teleported into the ass end of space by three components is shitty and the components not requiring power is dumb.
Doing mechanics traps is a big gamble relying on the crew's tendency to not be very perceptive, and all it takes is someone throwing a wrench into the machine to completely stop everything.

Mechanic components are already pretty fragile and easy to avoid. If a traitor has you stunned and throws you on one, you were dead already. You can walk up and wrench them, hold a multitool and disconnect everything, or just tell the AI to disconnect everything.

Teleporters require you to be standing on them to teleport you. You can't reliably 'hide' them, because anything you put on top will be teleported away. Also the entire fact anyone wearing internals would be completely unharmed.

If this change were added, it would just hinder normal mechanics with something that people would never use because wrenching is so much easier.
Honestly, I'd be more in favour of this argument if there was more to it than 'I fell for a teleporter trap two minutes ago, please nerf'.
long-standing small-scale items such as the hand-tele, porta-sci, porta-brig, etc. have demonstrated the ability to accomplish teleportation/open portals without needing to be hooked up to a power grid. mechanics devices must have similar on-board power sources. the mechanics are privileged to be able to work with similar cutting-edge tech, but its not nearly out of our tech scope.

perhaps some kind of small random failure rate, demanding a mechanic come by and tune up the devices, could be used. over dozens, perhaps hundreds of uses, it wouldnt be surprising for something to overload and need fixing up.
I second anything that makes it less easy for a mechanic to set up a teleport into insta death/space.

Theres 1 thing that leaves me super duper disgruntled and completely unfulfilled and thats running/sprinting down a corridor, minding my own business and hitting a teleporter that hadnt even loaded in, maybe the server load hits and you just hit it without seeing.

Flying off into space or getting teleported right into the gibbed/engine laser.
I don't think requiring power is the way to go about this, and I don't think it's even necessary considering how easy it is to stop mechanic stuff. A single wrench destroys any mechanics trap.

Regarding running into stuff off screen, It's just like accidentally running into a crusher you didn't see, only less deadly
How about if teleporters had a small time delay before activating where they charge up. Something small like two seconds, so it's not instant but you don't wait around forever.

I'm assuming that's the main problem here?
Fun fact: even if mechanical components required power, it wouldn't fix this issue.

Space is considered powered by default For Science!
I like the idea of a timer on the telporter, that way mechanics would need to set up a gravity grower or whatchamacallit. To keep you on the teleporter as it works, that would help distinguish a bad teleporter to a good one, also maybe using a PDA to n the teleporter gives grid coordinates or something.

Just something to make it less trolly.
(07-10-2016, 01:59 PM)TheOnlyRyan Wrote: I like the idea of a timer on the telporter, that way mechanics would need to set up a gravity grower or whatchamacallit. To keep you on the teleporter as it works, that would help distinguish a bad teleporter to a good one, also maybe using a PDA to n the teleporter gives grid coordinates or something.

Just something to make it less trolly.

If they gave you coordinates and maybe atmos readings at the destination on examination that might help, though having multiple destinations might be wonky
Just FYI space is fully powered so this wouldn't solve OP's whine.