Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Security Officer 202?
On the subject of summary executions, I generally decide based on the competence level of the antag.

One example of a dangerously competent antag would be if a traitor has managed to subvert the AI to his will, steal the captain's ID, killed several people, and is using chemistry. This would maybe merit an immediate killing rather than risking a robust breakout on the way to the brig, with the antag going on to kill and maim more.

You gotta remember though, a sec officer is supposed to protect ALL the people on the station, which includes those whom are trying to kill you. There's a good reason why all their default weapons are non lethal.

If you're dealing with a fire-proof, stun proof crimer you do have a few options to deal with them. If they're buffing themself up with chemicals, grab an auto injector of calomel from Medbay, which should flush their system of chems. If it's a geneticist, fill a hypospray fulla mutadone pills, set it to inject all, and hit them with it.
Okay it makes sense that i can't exile litterbugs to the ice moon, is there anywhere else that i can banish annoying jerks? What about deporting people to the Soviet station, or the diner, or the clown's room? Can i make people walk the plank, like give them a space suit and a jetpack and tell them to go ruin someone else's station? Or is that more HoP shenanigans?
(08-22-2016, 08:16 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Okay it makes sense that i can't exile litterbugs to the ice moon, is there anywhere else that i can banish annoying jerks? What about deporting people to the Soviet station, or the diner, or the clown's room? Can i make people walk the plank, like give them a space suit and a jetpack and tell them to go ruin someone else's station? Or is that more HoP shenanigans?

There's always the electropacks. Strap one on them, send them to work in some department, and give the remote to someone else there to be their new job coach.

Better yet, give the prisoner a few options and ask them which one they like the best
(08-22-2016, 08:53 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: There's always the electropacks. Strap one on them, send them to work in some department, and give the remote to someone else there to be their new job coach.

Better yet, give the prisoner a few options and ask them which one they like the best

Make the traitor the clown's apprentice. That is an acceptable punishment.
(08-22-2016, 01:31 PM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 11:45 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: At this point, you're not acting on what happened or is happening, but what could happen. 
By all means take the precautions that you need to to protect the station and yourself, but don't punish people for things they haven't done yet. It's one thing to kill someone in the heat of a firefight, but if you've got the situation under your control then kill them you're doing wrong imo.
True, but that's hardly all going into a single Miranda Recital.
But yes, Grek is on point on the right way to talk to the public.

I'm reminded of a story in one of the SA threads about the days of yore. Back in the day security would begin the round by demanding that everyone turn their PDAs in so that nobody could order traitor items. People eventually got around this by hiding their PDAs in the opening minutes of the round and retrieving them later, and sec responded by permabrigging anyone with their PDA on them at the five minute mark. This escalated until admins realized this wasn't very much fun.

If you see absolutely nothing wrong with the above scenario, security might not be for you.
I've said that good officers are meta, but just in a sense that they are ready for anything and know stuff like 'That staff assistant who is dragging the drooling captain into maint is probably a changeling' or 'Letting people stand next to me when we're alone probably isn't a good idea'. Being actual thought police, however, is bad.

On using stun packs, I find them ineffective due to the fact that everyone can take them off and generally do.

Actually, the fact that cuffs don't have keys has always irked be, but only from a logical standpoint -- it's required for gameplay, I know. Still kinda wish they were zipties or something instead.

If somebody is being a really annoying jerk you could just feed them squeeze and or something laced with addictive drugs. They might have wished for death instead, though.
Electropacks really should have locks or something on them.
Even then, people would just get acid and melt them off.
Personally, I'd like to see some way to tie electropacks to some kind of proximity sensor so you can put people under house arrest. Plop a little device down that delivers a shock signal if they get more than 20 or so tiles away from it.

One improvement I'd like to see with electropacks, treat them like bags and give them storage capacity, with the caveat that it'll shock you if you try to store contraband items inside it.
(08-23-2016, 11:05 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Personally, I'd like to see some way to tie electropacks to some kind of proximity sensor so you can put people under house arrest. Plop a little device down that delivers a shock signal if they get more than 20 or so tiles away from it.

One improvement I'd like to see with electropacks, treat them like bags and give them storage capacity, with the caveat that it'll shock you if you try to store contraband items inside it.

That would actually be a really cool concession, rather than giving every prisoner an assistant fannypack. I like this idea. Contraband and/or perhaps certain dangerous items/added contraband once that gets changed.
(08-23-2016, 04:52 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Make the traitor the clown's apprentice. That is an acceptable punishment.

This is one of the ways I deal with Traitors. I also tell the crew the new clown is a traitor and they can do whatever they want with it. I save this punishment for Traitors that have murdered.

If you can't think of a punishment for a traitor ask your fellow officers. I use to do this all the time and get them to vote on a punishment having them interact on the Traitor's fate was always a blast.
(08-23-2016, 03:03 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 04:52 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Make the traitor the clown's apprentice. That is an acceptable punishment.

This is one of the ways I deal with Traitors. I also tell the crew the new clown is a traitor and they can do whatever they want with it. I save this punishment for Traitors that have murdered.

If you can't think of a punishment for a traitor ask your fellow officers. I use to do this all the time and get them to vote on a punishment having them interact on the Traitor's fate was always a blast.

I've noticed on LLJK1 that when the crew is asked to vote on what a traitor/griffers punishment should be, de-limbing always ends up being thrown around as a popular option
Recently I've been taking people's suggestions and then letting the person in trouble pick what they want to happen. You would be very surprised at how often people are willing to play crusher poke twice rather than serve a 4 minute brig sentence.
Yeah, but trial by Crusher is hilarious.
What exactly is the use of flashbangs? I've read they're good for breaking up fights, but I've never been able to use them usefully.

Also, how'd you set a custom Miranda verb? Sounds really useful.