Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Security Officer 202?
I just recently got back into playing on the new map, but it's worth pointing out that there will be rounds where you're either the only security member on board or one of a very small number of security officers on board.  In this case, don't be afraid to deputize crew members you judge as being trustworthy with firearms, and try to communicate with people from other departments.  How much this will work is, naturally, up to the whims of the crew at large, but finding even one additional pair of eyes and ears that can keep tabs on another part of the station can help immensely.
I know that as a Security Officer, I'm pretty much always willing to hand out thermals, body brmor, sunglasses, secHUDs, flashes and forensics scanners to literally anyone who asks. I wouldn't hand out a taser or a stun baton, though. They're too nasty to deal with if they get into the hands of criminals (or vigilantes).
Are the secHUDs working out okay? Useful or usually irrelevant?
They're awesome as it's really hard to tell at a glance who's who and from what I've seen it encourages security to use the records a lot more, and by causality beepsky and securitrons are used a lot more too.

..Now if only the records themselves weren't such a bloated mess, then we'd be onto a winning thing.

Quick edit: If there was a way that falling through the chute would automatically put them on parole that'd be p. sweet. That way secoffs can tell at a glance who's been in the slammer before.
(08-08-2016, 07:35 AM)Grayshift Wrote: Are the secHUDs working out okay? Useful or usually irrelevant?

I like them a lot. There's occasional false positives, in that pissing on the ground will tag you for arrest even if beepsky didn't see it, but I dunno if officers wasting their time with that is an intended feature.

Sundance Wrote:..Now if only the records themselves weren't such a bloated mess, then we'd be onto a winning thing.

Agreed. One thing I'd love to see with the Sec records is the inclusion of the job title of the person, with it auto updating when their ID is re-titled at the HoP's console.
(08-08-2016, 09:07 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(08-08-2016, 07:35 AM)Grayshift Wrote: Quoted words
stuff and things.

Sundance Wrote:.words words words.

Words.

Ditto.
(08-08-2016, 07:35 AM)Grayshift Wrote: Are the secHUDs working out okay? Useful or usually irrelevant?
Super useful. Even as an antagonist. Security officers seem to be arresting people set to arrest on sight, which is great if you're Security trying to get a fleeing perp caught and also great if you're trying to frame people. I love it.

Amazingly useful, great for spotting contraband and making sec records much more used.
One thing I've been doing lately as sec is to carry sheet metal and first aid - because you start with armor and are likely to have prioritised intervals, you're often the person on the scene of some horrible event who is still standing and has all of their limbs. Nothing makes the station go to shit faster than breaches going unfixed and no one helping the injured and dead.
Metal sheets can also be used to make lockers in a pinch. Lockers, of course, being one of the best things to have in a projectile fight.

and yeah the sechud is really nice. I never play sec but the couple times I've found a pair they've alerted me to people who wanted to kill and/or eat me. Really nice since I often play without my glasses and can't see things like the 5 pixels which indicate somebody has drawn a gun on me.
I actually really like metal foam for when I can get it. Not only does it handle hull breaches well, its good for blocking off fires and escape routes.
Does it help to give security more access? I've only been doling out all access to the HoS and trustworthy people and trustworthy security. Usually, I'm puttering around as HoP or doctor if not in botany or mining. I'm kind of awful in a fight due to being new and on a dying laptop keyboard, but I can at least haul someone off to heal them or help them get around.

Edit: Granted, I usually get the stuffing beaten out of me after denying all access. But hey. I kept at least one traitor from it.
Access-wise, Security is in a very good place already. The only rooms I ever really need to get let into are the bar/kitchen. The barman seems to get shot/poisoned depressingly often. But one room that would actually be very fun to have access to as security would be the bridge teleporter. On Cog2 Security starts out with a box of tracking implants. If you implant one of these into every officer, you can have a rapid response team sitting at the teleporter. Throw a flashbang through (appearing at the calling officer's feet) and then have two more security phase in with weapons already drawn.
(08-14-2016, 11:33 PM)Grek Wrote: Access-wise, Security is in a very good place already. The only rooms I ever really need to get let into are the bar/kitchen. The barman seems to get shot/poisoned depressingly often. But one room that would actually be very fun to have access to as security would be the bridge teleporter. On Cog2 Security starts out with a box of tracking implants. If you implant one of these into every officer, you can have a rapid response team sitting at the teleporter. Throw a flashbang through (appearing at the calling officer's feet) and then have two more security phase in with weapons already drawn.

Yeah, I gave them access to the teleporter and everything. I figure they'd get more use out of it than me.
(08-14-2016, 11:33 PM)Grek Wrote: Access-wise, Security is in a very good place already. The only rooms I ever really need to get let into are the bar/kitchen. The barman seems to get shot/poisoned depressingly often. But one room that would actually be very fun to have access to as security would be the bridge teleporter. On Cog2 Security starts out with a box of tracking implants. If you implant one of these into every officer, you can have a rapid response team sitting at the teleporter. Throw a flashbang through (appearing at the calling officer's feet) and then have two more security phase in with weapons already drawn.

This is a great idea! I'd love to get arrested and beaten up horribly in this manner.