Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Security Officer 202?
(10-23-2017, 10:07 PM)Hikurac Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 08:34 AM)Flourish Wrote: If you see me on and want a sec partner, you should definitely let me know, and we can play together.

Lol, after that Scooby Doo chase we had in robotics, I think I know better than to do that.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Can you explain why you "know better than to do that"?
(10-24-2017, 09:38 AM)Flourish Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 08:34 AM)Flourish Wrote: If you see me on and want a sec partner, you should definitely let me know, and we can play together.

Lol, after that Scooby Doo chase we had in robotics, I think I know better than to do that.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Can you explain why you "know better than to do that"?

Don't you play as Roco? I was Otto, the sec officer, during a round when you were deputized and later tried to kill me in robotics.
(10-25-2017, 09:37 AM)Hikurac Wrote: Don't you play as Roco? I was Otto, the sec officer, during a round when you were deputized and later tried to kill me in robotics.

Yes, I do play as Roco Berry. But we all knew I was a traitor by the end of that round, so I'm not sure what you're saying. That I'll be a traitor every time someone asks to play sec with me (if someone ever does)?
(10-25-2017, 09:37 AM)Hikurac Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 09:38 AM)Flourish Wrote:

Don't you play as Roco? I was Otto, the sec officer, during a round when you were deputized and later tried to kill me in robotics.

Deputizing people into security always has a risk.  Don't be angry if someone you promoted turns out to be a bad guy.
(10-25-2017, 10:30 AM)Flourish Wrote:
(10-25-2017, 09:37 AM)Hikurac Wrote: Don't you play as Roco? I was Otto, the sec officer, during a round when you were deputized and later tried to kill me in robotics.

Yes, I do play as Roco Berry. But we all knew I was a traitor by the end of that round, so I'm not sure what you're saying. That I'll be a traitor every time someone asks to play sec with me (if someone ever does)?

I know, it was a joke lol.
Hello.. is there a place that has video recordings of security guards.. like situations that might be helpful if a person wanted to study it..

Or something of similar nature..

Usually failures..

Or a place to put such recordings if any may turn up..
This was a good thread, necro is useful
You could check youtube to see if anyone played Goonstation Sec.

Never know.
A couple rather sizable collection of tips that I didn't see in this thread already:

TASERS:
  • Taser shots do not hit people who are prone unless you shoot them point-blank. Don't shoot at people who are horizontal from a distance with your taser! This includes people that you just stunned with said taser.
  • To shoot someone point blank, use harm intent. Grab will hold the gun up to them and help/disarm will smack them with the gun. This only applies if you're clicking on someone who is directly next to you, if they're far away intent doesn't matter.
  • Security officers and the HoS spawn with a little box in their bag labeled the "security starter kit". This box has a power cell that has 200PUs, which is double your taser capacity. If you swap this into your taser at round start you'll have 12 shots instead of 6, and you can keep the old cell for a reload.
BATONS AND FLASHES:
  • Flashes are way safer to use than batons if the person you need to stun with them isn't wearing something that makes them immune and has basically the same payout for much less risk. Dropping a flash doesn't really matter but your baton could be used to kill you. Never use a baton when a flash will do.
  • If your stunbaton is on and you click someone with harm intent YOU WILL STUN YOURSELF. This is well known but a really big deal, especially easy to mess up when you hit someone with a few point-blank taser shots and then forget to switch from harm to whatever before you baton them.
  • Try not to have your baton out in a position that could get it disarmed. The best time to go for a baton is when the person you want stunned is tased already and you want to seal the proverbial stun deal so you can handcuff them.
OTHER MISCELLANEOUS STUFF:
  • Flashbangs don't really stun but they give you very confused movement and don't have to be aimed directly at people like a taser or a baton. If you throw them in a smart way they can be basically unavoidable and give you a rather significant advantage in the fight afterwards. They're a good way to soften someone up before you try and stun them with a taser or flash or whatever.
  • Barriers reflect all projectiles (including fireballs and RPG shots but not including magic missiles and acid spit) and now don't break when they do so. This can be used to really good effect if someone is just spraying bullets at you and either doesn't know the barrier is there or doesn't know what it does. It's a bit clunky to get out though so you're generally not gonna wanna pull it out while you're fighting a dude, rather have it ready before you start getting shot at.
  • You can use the forensic scanner in-hand to open a little popup that you can copy/paste fingerprints or blood...prints into to see who they belong to. If you use it on fresh blood, a little arrow will pop up on the screen of the forensic scanner that points to whoever's blood it was, but this will go away if you move. It's good to bring one of these along with you, they always come in handy.
  • If you want to get other players to play sec with you because it's more fun to play sec as a team, try asking people to in OOC. "Hey I'm gonna play sec you all should play sec with me" does a lot to get other players to want to be sec because they know they won't be solosec.
  • Security officers and the HoS are immune to chairflips, handcuff people really quickly and have a slight passive stun resist. 
  • Always be respectful to the player you just caught. If the traitor you just arrested gets hauled to sec and dragged around for 40 minutes just for you to throw their naked body out of an airlock they're probably just gonna kill themselves next time they get caught by sec. If you intend to kill them for whatever reason be kind of quick with it and ensure they get borged or at least throw them in robotic's direction. If you don't need to kill them then five minutes in the brig isn't so bad. There's a phone they can use to call up people and talk about how hard prison life is, and a bunch of other junk to mess with. They may even be able to use this time to device a plan for when they get out. The brig is a good way to incentivize not getting caught without just murdering every antag you get your hands on and punishing nonantags who are being jerks or whatever.
  • Permabrigging on the other hand is really silly and if you want someone out of the round you should just get them borged. Hold a trial or do some goofy RP with them instead of just throwing them in solitary where they can do nothing for 20 minutes. Also people will probably be really rude to you if you permabrig someone which is just another reason to avoid that entire can of worms entirely and just not do it.
  • This one was said before but don't get angry or upset when you're playing! You're supposed to enjoy this game and have fun. Everyone dies in this game quite often, it's part of the charm of Space Station 13. There are always going to be good rounds and bad rounds.
  • Eating donuts heals double for security.
Feedback on anything here that is wrong or dumb is appreciated.  queen greater domestic space-bee
So if you are saying there may not be a location to see security recordings.. maybe one could be started? Should I think of starting one??

This guy's got good tips.

When reading those tips, I thought about a time where some troublemakers were arrested and handcuffed to some chairs, and one guy was complaining about it and calling us names, and at the end of the round I let them go and the guy took off his handcuffs and pulled out a gun and shot me dead. So.. Perhaps a way to have avoided that was to search the guy while he was handcuffed to the chair before thinking of letting him go. Or something like that..
Yeah, ALWAYS search people you have. I tend to leave things that are obviously stealth items (no one really carries a pen around if it's not a sleeper, let's be honest) because otherwise it just feels like unnecessary fun ruining.

Unless he tries to stab me with it.

Then I stab him back.

Fun fact:Prisoners serve their brig time much more obediently when they've been jammed with a sleepy pen.
(02-19-2019, 06:07 PM)Bob Wrote: So if you are saying there may not be a location to see security recordings.. maybe one could be started? Should I think of starting one??

Zewaka made a few. Link here. PlumpHelmetPunk and BlackPantsLegion are other youtube people you could try. You should totally make your own though!
You know I never knew about this part; Security officers and the HoS are immune to chairflips, handcuff people really quickly and have a slight passive stun resist.
Thanks for that Flab.
Also I second watching PlumpHelmetPunk videos on sec. Hell I recommend watching ALL of Plumps SS13 videos. They are fucking great.
One of the peeps in my HoS app thread asked me to do a sec writeup, but I'm really not sure what to say that hasn't already been said in this thread, so instead I'm just gonna toss out a few questions.

What are people's feelings on floor flasher placements? I've seen them placed at sec entrances a lot, which can come in handy when people are running in like butts, but can also be a righteous pain in the ass for the Det/anyone else who has legit access but not sunglasses.

How do y'all feel about changing out of the red jumpsuit? This is one I've gone back and forth on, I used to try to stay in uniform whenever possible, but lately I've tended to use the alternate wardrobe in sec a lot more often.

When do you folks bust out the orange jumpsuit/shackles? Like, they're clearly there to be used, but they're always kinda cumbersome to get a person suited out with.

What are people's general sentence lengths for various crimes?

Ending with a random thought, dang the burst mode on the taser is good when combined with the extended battery officers start with in their kits.
To that I say, pretending to be a NT peacekeeper in the Space Bucks blue uniform is loads of fun for RP