Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tips N' Tricks & Little things you learned that are game changing.
(07-31-2017, 04:33 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(07-30-2017, 06:11 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: The cyborg costume sold by Geoff Honkington is spaceproof and has no slowdown. Not too expensive either.

This should be in bug reports, but no worries, we can nerf it anyway!

guess we shouldn't mention other fun things oh no lidge
(07-31-2017, 05:01 PM)Sov Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 04:33 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(07-30-2017, 06:11 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: The cyborg costume sold by Geoff Honkington is spaceproof and has no slowdown. Not too expensive either.

This should be in bug reports, but no worries, we can nerf it anyway!

guess we shouldn't mention other fun things oh no lidge

oh no lidge
keep this bumped
An extinguisher full of boiling hot foam (or anything, really) will obliterate anyone you spray it on. Unless they are wearing a hat or anything in their mask slot.

Try spraying a 100+ degree extinguisher on a monkey. Just be sure to cover your face.
I mean... I dunno, most of you probably have known this forever but it was a BIG DEAL to me when I figured out what was going on.

Transferring chems has no action-lag on it if both beakers/containers/whatever are ON YOUR PERSON. Including pockets, etc. This works for syringes, too, if for example you had a Blood IV in a pocket, you can syringe 15 units out VERY QUICKLY to speed synth flesh manufacturing.

____

Botany watering cans are in every way 120 unit beakers.

____

To increase botany crop endurance, you want to infuse a specific chem. This chem can be extracted from a really easy source. The source is both a seed you can plant after hacking botany seed vendors, and ALSO exists naturally on the station every round. It is the reason (I assume) that botany has maintenance access. Think about it.

(08-21-2017, 10:07 AM)Superlagg Wrote: An extinguisher full of boiling hot foam (or anything, really) will obliterate anyone you spray it on. Unless they are wearing a hat or anything in their mask slot.

Try spraying a 100+ degree extinguisher on a monkey. Just be sure to cover your face.

Hmmm, how exactly does that work? Do head/mask items effectively prevent touch effects, or is it just preventing the "inhaled hot stuff" effect?
(08-21-2017, 11:27 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 10:07 AM)Superlagg Wrote: An extinguisher full of boiling hot foam (or anything, really) will obliterate anyone you spray it on. Unless they are wearing a hat or anything in their mask slot.

Hmmm, how exactly does that work?  Do head/mask items effectively prevent touch effects, or is it just preventing the "inhaled hot stuff" effect?

Basically.

You could be completely bathed in boiling hot water, but if you're breathing in air from an air tank, it doesn't affect you.
Somehow.
I just assume that our outsides are very heat resistant, which is why we're pretty okay with being on fire or at near 0K. Our insides are another matter, however. Genetic engineering? Natural evolution? Callouses? We work for Nanotrasen, so anything is possible.

Well, anything but success.
(08-21-2017, 11:53 AM)Technature Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 11:27 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote:

Hmmm, how exactly does that work?  Do head/mask items effectively prevent touch effects, or is it just preventing the "inhaled hot stuff" effect?

Basically.

You could be completely bathed in boiling hot water, but if you're breathing in air from an air tank, it doesn't affect you.
Somehow.

Don't even need the air tank, or really anything that covers the face. A cigarette butt protected me from the boiling foam, as did wearing a toupe.

It's weird.
Ah, I thought this was about hot gas. Yeah, the hot liquid mechanic just checks if you have something in your hat or mask slot:

Code:
proc/chem_helmet_check(mob/living/carbon/human/H)
    if(H.wear_mask)
        boutput(H, "<span style=\"color:red\">Your mask protects you from the hot liquid!</span>")
        return 0
    else if(H.head)
        boutput(H, "<span style=\"color:red\">Your helmet protects you from the hot liquid!</span>")
        return 0
    return 1

Code:
                        if(total_temperature > H.base_body_temp + (H.temp_tolerance * 4) && !H.is_heat_resistant())
                            if (chem_helmet_check(H))
                                boutput(H, "<span style=\"color:red\">You are scalded by the hot chemicals!</span>")
                                H.TakeDamage("head", 0, round(log(total_temperature / 50) * 10), 0, DAMAGE_BURN) // lol this caused brute damage
                                H.emote("scream")
                                H.bodytemperature += min(max((total_temperature - T0C) - 20, 5),500)
                        else if(total_temperature < H.base_body_temp - (H.temp_tolerance * 4) && !H.is_cold_resistant())
                            if (chem_helmet_check(H))
                                boutput(H, "<span style=\"color:red\">You are frostbitten by the freezing cold chemicals!</span>")
                                H.TakeDamage("head", 0, round(log(T0C - total_temperature / 50) * 10), 0, DAMAGE_BURN)
                                H.emote("scream")
H.bodytemperature -= min(max(T0C - total_temperature - 20, 5), 500)
acid foam is a beautiful thing though. one time i was a vampire and some nerd splashed acid on people wearing masks or hats, then holy water foamed the escape shuttle. it sent me into crit instantly. id been having a perfect vampire round.

little salty

edit: i said acid foam but this dude didnt use it. acid foam is good as a traitor, especially if you can quickly pull off two waves of it, cause it melts hats and masks, but if they don't have one, messes up their face and causes tox
(08-22-2017, 12:48 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: acid foam is a beautiful thing though. one time i was a vampire and some nerd splashed acid on people wearing masks or hats, then holy water foamed the escape shuttle. it sent me into crit instantly. id been having a perfect vampire round.

little salty

edit: i said acid foam but this dude didnt use it. acid foam is good as a traitor, especially if you can quickly pull off two waves of it, cause it melts hats and masks, but if they don't have one, messes up their face and causes tox

Just acid in general. I'd say it's one of the easier chems to kill someone with. Reacting a fuel tank full of it's reagents will instakill any unprotected person on that tile. It can unprotect people in preparation for the instakilling or life extinguishing. It makes golems that teleport you straight to crit and disintegrate anyone nearby.

It's wonderful!
(08-22-2017, 12:48 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: acid foam is a beautiful thing though. one time i was a vampire and some nerd splashed acid on people wearing masks or hats, then holy water foamed the escape shuttle. it sent me into crit instantly. id been having a perfect vampire round.

little salty

Don't worry, foam (and smoke) is now bugged and will never work properly again, so that's one vampire worry taken care of.
(08-22-2017, 09:13 PM)Roomba Wrote: Don't worry, foam (and smoke) is now bugged and will never work properly again, so that's one vampire worry taken care of.

way to be negative dude
(08-23-2017, 03:43 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 09:13 PM)Roomba Wrote: Don't worry, foam (and smoke) is now bugged and will never work properly again, so that's one vampire worry taken care of.

way to be negative dude

way to be vague about progress on the issue
(08-23-2017, 09:58 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 03:43 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:

way to be negative dude

way to be vague about progress on the issue

Okay. I'll write this instead of working on a paper that is due tomorrow morning, or actually trying to solve this issue instead.

On Sunday night, I spent 3 or so hours of my personal time (that I really should've spent studying) attempting to debug the issue.
I tried multiple ways of solving the program and identifying the problem, such as going through all the commits within the past two years that touched files that might have affected this. For a few of these commits, I attempted reverting, to no avail.

However, I did identify the problem. It's caused by the location of the beaker that the reagents are reacting in. If it's on the ground, it works fine. However, if it is held/"inside" another object, the mixture only effects the source tile that the beaker is on.

This lead me to an idea. I thought that the get_turf() proc was not being used properly on the smoke. I thought this because of issues in the past where other objects would check their "location" which could be a human's backpack and not a floor.

Because that failed, I then thought that an external procedure call would be causing the issue. I thought this because within the past few years, the get_turf() proc was changed from an old variant to a faster new variant that was confirmed to work by LummoxJR. However, attempting to revert that change failed to produce any noticeable results in the smoke's behavior.

My current suspicions is still that an external procedure call or a reference to an external function is causing the issue, because none of the smoke code has been touched since this issue started occurring. My current idea to help solve the issue is logging the smoke_size and changing variables on the fly to nail down exactly where it's failing in it's spreading out, iterating through all the turfs in range that would be affected.

Picard Ughh

edit: bug fixed and paper done. it's midnight though.