Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thermals
Thermals should put a red/yellow blobby filter over people and borgs in the same way that ghost drones see humans with a static filter over them. They should also make people display as "unknown" so you can't just run around with thermals on all the time like it was no big deal. 

Thermals and cloaks aren't the top-tier items they used to be, but it would still be neat and make it so thermals were a choice with more of a consequence than "don't get flashed."
Thermals are already mega useless compared to sunglasses, now that they can't see people through walls. If anything I think thermals should be buffed because no one other than the detective actually wears them unless there are confirmed reports of a cloaker.
It would be nice if they upped the brightness so you can see better in the dark. Barring that, have the red/yellow blobby thing be really bright in all light
(07-01-2016, 04:08 AM)Musketman12 Wrote: Thermals are already mega useless compared to sunglasses, now that they can't see people through walls. If anything I think thermals should be buffed because no one other than the detective actually wears them unless there are confirmed reports of a cloaker.

I tend to keep thermals inside my box for when I need them as Sec. I agree that them getting nerfed sucked but you also have to admit being able to see though walls was OP as hell. The nerf was needed the only thing I hate about the nerf was nothing else was added to them or replaced what they could do before. There have been ton of ideas for what they should be able to do now and there are countless threads detailing these ideas as well. Its just lame. I think if you are going to nerf something or flat out remove a feature from a item then you should think of something to replace the old feature/add on to it.
Doing the blobby red thing/removing your ability to see peoples gear but allowing you to still look through walls would be cool. You could tell if someone was in the AI upload for instance, but you'd still have to go in there to confirm a breakin or figure out who it was.
(07-01-2016, 12:58 PM)MollyMillions Wrote: Doing the blobby red thing/removing your ability to see peoples gear but allowing you to still look through walls would be cool. You could tell if someone was in the AI upload for instance, but you'd still have to go in there to confirm a breakin or figure out who it was.

Only if the inability to see gear only applies if you don't have a line of sight to the target.
That wouldn't change much, as it's still pretty easy to tell is a changeling/vampire is eating by having two figures present in maintenance on the same tile with one laying down. (Well, its the only time you'd find people like that on goon)

It'd maybe work if people who were laying down were invisible, but at that point you question the usefulness of being able to see through walls if you're not going to prod at every person who stands still in maintenance. (Which at that point crosses the boundary of shit behavior.)

There's also the problem of Byond being unable to truly hide people's names, so while you can't see who everyone is, you can still know who everyone is.

Seeing people through walls is just a broken mechanic that's hard to balance if it's easily available every single round. (I say "easily available" because there is an X-Ray vision mutation.)

That said though, thermals need help. I currently consider wearing them worse than wearing nothing right now. You get no benefit from wearing them (Cloakers are rare as hell and the AI/borgs can see them.), and you only get the detriment of being more vulnerable to flashes. I don't even know if the flash-drawback is still a thing or not anymore, because no one wears thermals, and the people who do tend to be sec during extremely specific and rare circumstances, so I've never seen a person with thermals get flashed.
The thing is that if you get a thermal eye and the thermals worked like this, you would see everyone as a yellow orange blob and you would not be able to remove the thermals, making them pretty much completely useless.
I like the idea of an overlay.
Thermals aren't particularly useful, but perhaps they shouldn't be. Right now there aren't any guaranteed on the station, and and even if the detective and the HoS are present, avoiding them on the huge Cog2 map is not a real issue. If, instead, they are more or less standard equipment for Security personnel, they could be used to properly fight cloakers.
However, if they aren't 'mostly useless', then that ease-of-access would be a huge buff for the guards.
(07-02-2016, 05:17 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: I like the idea of an overlay.
Thermals aren't particularly useful, but perhaps they shouldn't be. Right now there aren't any guaranteed on the station, and and even if the detective and the HoS are present, avoiding them on the huge Cog2 map is not a real issue. If, instead, they are more or less standard equipment for Security personnel, they could be used to properly fight cloakers.
However, if they aren't 'mostly useless', then that ease-of-access would be a huge buff for the guards.

There is a pair of thermals in sec equipment, by the lockers.
I think seeing people that are cloaked is the only thing they do right now. Considering how susceptible to flashes they make you, I wish they had a good reason to want to carry them around and wear them.

I'm against them being able to see through walls. That was always a bad feature, imo.

Personally I think letting you see really well in the dark would be nice, especially if people really stood out.

Someone also once suggested they should act as forensic scanners from a distance and also have some kind of Sec Hud, which I think makes a lot of sense, considering Detective and HoS get them by default.
I like the darksight and forensics ideas. Those're some neat shit, and being able to see better than 90% of the crew in the dark would be a pretty useful trait for anybody, plus the ability to make Sec more good at their job in a way that isn't inherently tied to beatings.
Thermals actually already give you darksight, it's just near useless with the new lighting code.
do blobs produce heat? can thermals see blobs?

maybe thermals could see wraiths too, but as a blue/black abscence of heat rather than a source of it, since hauntings traditionally produce cold spots
(07-01-2016, 03:45 PM)Triacontakai Wrote: The thing is that if you get a thermal eye and the thermals worked like this, you would see everyone as a yellow orange blob and you would not be able to remove the thermals, making them pretty much completely useless.

Make a welder-hat like toggle button