Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chief Engineer's Dashboard
I was thinking that since we now have a map the Chief Engineer could have a special one in his office. This map would be different than the other one in that it would work like the computer which displays damage to the station that we used to have (back on donut station) except that it would be a visual display. Each room of the map would start off coloured green, but if minor damage was sustained it would turn yellow, and if major damage is taken the room would turn red. I think that this should be pretty easy to do since we have a map and also the old damage detecting computer, and it seems like a neat idea to me.

What do the rest of you think?
That's a pretty cool idea.
For a moment I was thinking this would be pretty redundant with the General Alert computer, but the alert computer is full of very vague reference points-- Aft Hallway, Starboard Maintenance, etc.-- that visualizing those alerts would be handy.
That sounds sweet, it'd be pretty cool to be a CE directing the crew on how to best the fix the station from his office
One other cool thing could be a simplified version on his PDA; rather than a full report, it gives name-based info on very simple things; APC is charging, room doesn't have lethal air, and that's about it.
This is an amazing idea.
I'm all for giving the CE something to do once stuff starts exploding that isn't the same as the grunt work all the other engineers have to do.
This should also be in the bridge so the captain knows what's wrong with his station. But I have a deep feeling that this will end up like the medical records computer.
mozi Wrote:For a moment I was thinking this would be pretty redundant with the General Alert computer, but the alert computer is full of very vague reference points-- Aft Hallway, Starboard Maintenance, etc.-- that visualizing those alerts would be handy.

The General Alert Computer doesn't even tell you what the alert is about. If it did that, and sat somewhere in engineering in addition to the two little hideyholes in Maintenance, they'd be vaguely useful. As it is, the AI gets better information - if it's alive - and the wiki already tells it to disregard most of the alerts because it's usually nothing to worry about.

Not that a visual map is a bad idea. It's great.
bladex454 Wrote:This should also be in the bridge so the captain knows what's wrong with his station. But I have a deep feeling that this will end up like the medical records computer.
The captain shouldn't get it because he's not going to be doing the repairs, that's the Chief Engineer's job. The captain's job is mainly to make sure people aren't being shitty and kind of oversee. He isn't even really security.
This is a great idea what happened to it
(06-16-2023, 07:12 AM)Thebutler Wrote: This is a great idea what happened to it

How long did you have to search to find this XD. 

Either way, seems like a shame this idea proposed in 2013 never came to light. Oh well
(06-16-2023, 07:12 AM)Thebutler Wrote: This is a great idea what happened to it

Same thing that happens to every good idea. Nobody programmed it.

I also think it's a good idea, but wouldn't immediately know how to even implement something like that. Never even used a map, have no idea how they function or what the code is like.