Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toxins Research
I was playing some Scientist and messing with gas mixes for Engineering earlier, and I noticed some stuff:

The computer doesn't start with stuff on it. You need to click "Refresh" one time before anything pops up. It's a little thing, but no other computer interface needs you to click to update (engineering power computer, etc).

Also, there's a Gas Sensor inside each chamber that doesn't seem to do anything, at least as far as I can tell. It would be cool if the computer showed timed data tables for each chamber, with the ability to print them out and reset them (for starting a new test). Maybe the could be formatted like:

Time | Temperature | Pressure | Gas Composition
0:00 | 300K | 2000kPa | 60% Plasma 30% Oxygen 10% CO2
etc.

I'm sure there are more things that I just can't think of right now, but here we are. Critiques and general toxins research stuff is welcome.
That is why the gas sensors are in there, they're placeholders at the moment while a gas composition logging program is being written. Eventually you'll be able to start a test recording after filling the either/both chambers with gases, then record composition data as they react or combust or whatever and see how things turned out over time.
Is there currently a way to super cool gas? (Im assuming might be good for the cold engine loop?)

I'm aware of that loop in toxins that goes into space, but i'm not sure how to reliably get it to cool large volumes of gas.

Perhaps the chef's freezer could be adapted for this purpose?
Also it would be nice to be able to filter out certain gases from a tank - I.e put the gas through an oxygen 'filter' and dump it to prevent any fires in a can.
backifran Wrote:Is there currently a way to super cool gas? (Im assuming might be good for the cold engine loop?)

I'm aware of that loop in toxins that goes into space, but i'm not sure how to reliably get it to cool large volumes of gas.

Perhaps the chef's freezer could be adapted for this purpose?

Try putting N2O through the cold loop.
I cannot garauntee that you'd actually have anything inside the canister. Actually, all I can garauntee is that, by simple physics, you'd literally have a warp in time and space inside the canister which would make any number of physicists either roll in their grave or weep openly, and that the analyzer would recognize the warp as N2O. Welcome to ~*Science*~
The engine's cold loop is already stupidly efficient at cooling gas, sometimes too much so. I don't think you will ever need colder gas than the cold loop can supply, or even be able to do it better anywhere else - the engine's cold loop is waaaay better at making gas cold in a hurry than either the toxins chiller, the cryo loop or the meat freezer loop.

In some arrangements, the engine is also better at making stupidly hot gas than the toxins lab too. I've seen certain things get the engine gas up to a million+ kelvin running through the generator, and another thing yielded a goddamn 258 million kelvin gas burn at a certain part of the engine. Toxins researchers wept.
In fairness I think the HellEngine only hit that high due to our continued deadchat support.