Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FEATURE] Safety airlocks.
We are receiving several complaints from Chief Maintenance Officer Bowen that some residents have been using the airlock doors to crush soda cans. DynaMars Corporation wishes to remind residents that those airlock doors are all that stands in the way of certain death. Anyone caught crushing soda cans or any other item in the airlock doors will be punished severely.
  • Airlocks will no longer close when there are humans, or dense objects blocking the safety lasers.
  • Airlocks now contain a wire that can be cut to disable the safeties and crush people.

Patch: HERE

Quote:<+Erik> Q: should airlocks that have a safety wire cut crush spaceman that are inside them when closing?
<Dions> YES ERIK
<Dions> ADD CRUSHING AIRLOCKS
<Dions> PLEASE
<@SpyGuy> Erik: Yes.
If the airlock is shocked and the safety wire is cut, it should shock whoever it closes on. Also, it should crush cans.
(06-24-2016, 05:39 PM)Grek Wrote: If the airlock is shocked and the safety wire is cut, it should shock whoever it closes on.

This would be possible, but the current door_parent and airlock code is such as mess that I'd rather finish my parallax patch first before rewriting the entire airlock, wire and door systems. I merely did this change between the two patches as it was an interesting idea that could easily be implemented without making too much changes.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Is this for all doors, or just the red external airlocks? A current method of not dying horribly is standing in doorways until the situation decides which side you should choose.
(06-24-2016, 05:44 PM)Mageziya Wrote: I'm not sure how I feel about this. Is this for all doors, or just the red external airlocks? A current method of not dying horribly is standing in doorways until the situation decides which side you should choose.

You can no longer stand on top of doors, and have them close on you, unless the airlock has it's safeties disabled.
yes please implement this, perfect for nefarious traitor murder time. i have nothing more useful to add
Concern: Rogue borgs/AI repeatedly catching people in airlock squares, since they can force them open/close with a click still presumably. Remove the stuns or weakenings or whatever that will force people to stay in the airlock square after the initial crush. Going through a doorway shouldn't be more deadly than the airbridges.
(06-24-2016, 06:27 PM)Grayshift Wrote: Concern: Rogue borgs/AI repeatedly catching people in airlock squares, since they can force them open/close with a click still presumably. Remove the stuns or weakenings or whatever that will force people to stay in the airlock square after the initial crush. Going through a doorway shouldn't be more deadly than the airbridges.

The AI and Cyborgs are unable to change the safety settings remotely, the airlocks must be manually hacked.
(06-24-2016, 06:44 PM)ErikHanson Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 06:27 PM)Grayshift Wrote: Concern: Rogue borgs/AI repeatedly catching people in airlock squares, since they can force them open/close with a click still presumably. Remove the stuns or weakenings or whatever that will force people to stay in the airlock square after the initial crush. Going through a doorway shouldn't be more deadly than the airbridges.

The AI and Cyborgs are unable to change the safety settings remotely, the airlocks must be manually hacked.

Which is relatively trivial for any cyborg or ai shell since they all have screwdrivers and multitools.
I could make the airlocks push the guy out, but I'd rather not.
I think the stun needs to be reduced to 1 - 2. The reason for this is that I picture people / borgs massacring everyone by stunning them, then repeatedly chewing them up inside a door while they can do nothing.
EDIT: Why am I asking you to do this? I can just tweak it myself. Shobon... (deflated)

I imagine some other tweaks might be necessary down the line when we see how it plays, but this is the big concern for me at the moment. All in all I rate this patch Half the duck, all the sass. / CAT DRUGS
This is a stupid and violent thought but is it possible to use the hacked doors as guillotines?
(06-25-2016, 04:32 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: This is a stupid and violent thought but is it possible to use the hacked doors as guillotines?

The patch itself has been merged and is live on the server, I'm planning to refactor the airlock, and wire code at some point in the distant future to allow for things like that based on engine power, and maybe some other variables.. who knows.
Concern : standing in the airlock and closing it has been the norm of evading mobs tailing your butt, and is the only way of preventing space wind from pulling you back into a breached room when slowed due to injury/cold.
(06-25-2016, 05:52 AM)Zafhset Wrote: Concern : standing in the airlock and closing it has been the norm of evading mobs tailing your butt, and is the only way of preventing space wind from pulling you back into a breached room when slowed due to injury/cold.

This is my concern, as well. Mobs are going to be -really- annoying with this patch.