Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rampages
Three things this game has always been about.

1. Paranoia
2. Fun
3. Being a asshole (it's why we have miscreant roles)

Sure Rampages happen too often yeah. But that's on the players not the game. You want Rampages to stop? Then join Security and be the one to stop them. It's no coincidence that we have little people playing security and a raise of Rampages.

Also I 100% think RP rules should stay out of the main server. Nothing good comes from restricting antag roles. I've said from time and time again that one of the reasons Goonstation is so great for me is that I can do what I want with my rare antag roles. Which not that many other servers let players do. That is a good thing. Again everything has a counter in this game including rampages and Stun weapons. For example Epinephrine gives you stun reduction. The more you know.
Well, I've heard of incompetent sec and silicon getting jobbanned, but the jobbanned tend to be criminally dumb in their execution of said jobs.

With regards to how the server is, well, it's Goon. It's more of a make your own fun sandbox than a rule-driven coop where everyone is forced to be on the same page. It will never be that. Unless we want to lose the majority of our playerbase, that is.
If anything this thread shows the majority are fine with Rampages but are not fine with how no one tries to fight back.
Once saw a Medic get a job-ban, because he cut up and force-borged a somebody who asked for threads. And released N2O all over surgery.
And I am Maining Sec (on main server) to be that guy that stops the rampages and it's good to know people have my back on that.
But I get salty when I take a break from that and get hacked apart the moment I leave my work-zone. And then I need a break from taking a break.
(07-15-2016, 06:39 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: Once saw a Medic get a job-ban, because he cut up and force-borged a somebody who asked for threads. And released N2O all over surgery.

That's not being incompetent at your job and being banned. That's being shit for breaking the rules and getting banned for it.

(07-15-2016, 06:39 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: And I am Maining Sec (on main server) to be that guy that stops the rampages and it's good to know people have my back on that.
But I get salty when I take a break from that and get hacked apart the moment I leave my work-zone. And then I need a break from taking a break.

That's awesome man I heard there has been more people playing Security lately and I am excited to hear it.
Since this thread's creation, I have noticed a more active security and assistant vigilante force against antags.
Honestly i think this could be easily remedied by treating ss13 as a game again, it's been veering extremely far into "attempted simulator" for a while now, because everyone started utterly hating "play-to-win" players, so people decided on an unofficial grace period, which became official, which probably started people not wanting to get in the antagonist's way because "it's their round to do whatever why would i be a fun-hating shithead and end that". Now everyone just goes off doing science or making food or running around doing fuck knows what instead of playing the game like it's a game, which is because people started getting in shit because someone didn't like how antagonists didn't get a chance to cause any mayhem. Add more game-y stuff imo.

but that's just my opinion.
(07-17-2016, 01:34 PM)thehman03 Wrote: Now everyone just goes off doing science or making food or running around doing fuck knows what instead of playing the game like it's a game

Are things like this not "playing the game like it's a game"?
(07-17-2016, 02:19 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
(07-17-2016, 01:34 PM)thehman03 Wrote: Now everyone just goes off doing science or making food or running around doing fuck knows what instead of playing the game like it's a game

Are things like this not "playing the game like it's a game"?

For real. For me, what makes a for a good round and a fun game isn't about being robust and killing all the antags. I'd play something else for that. 

It's about the social interactions and emergent story from round to round.
(07-17-2016, 01:34 PM)thehman03 Wrote: Add more game-y stuff imo.

Like a VR laser tag arena?
Yeah, that's my point, there needs to be some reward for actually winning the game that would still interest the non-aggressive people, a credits bonus or a list of recipes to try out or something to get people actually wanting to do something about the guy running around killing people. As of right now people like to play the game to just goof off until they get an antagonist, and then there's a chance you get a "Friendly wizard/traitor/vampire smile" because nobody wants to intrude on anything at all because people are scared of getting banned or being ostracized from the community for it, and if that happens they won't ever get the chance to become an admin because that's basically just a timelocked reward at this point. i could go on for hours.
(07-18-2016, 02:55 AM)thehman03 Wrote: Yeah, that's my point, there needs to be some reward for actually winning the game that would still interest the non-aggressive people, a credits bonus or a list of recipes to try out or something to get people actually wanting to do something about the guy running around killing people. As of right now people like to play the game to just goof off until they get an antagonist, and then there's a chance you get a "Friendly wizard/traitor/vampire smile" because nobody wants to intrude on anything at all because people are scared of getting banned or being ostracized from the community for it, and if that happens they won't ever get the chance to become an admin because that's basically just a timelocked reward at this point. i could go on for hours.

Actually there's a lot that goes into selecting admins, and not everyone's going to be getting it. It's by far not a timelocked reward.

that clearly means I'm better than you!!! :agesilaus:

On topic, rampages are people's prerogative, and if they wanna do it, fine. Crew should definitely ramp up their stop rampage game though.
If adminship was a time locked reward, hipbee would be definitely be a goatfart by now.
(07-18-2016, 02:55 AM)thehman03 Wrote: ...become an admin because that's basically just a timelocked reward at this point.
Reward is a funny way to say hell.  :downsgun:
(07-18-2016, 02:55 AM)thehman03 Wrote: ... some reward for actually winning the game that would still interest the non-aggressive people, a credits bonus or a list of recipes to try out ...
While I like the basic idea of rewards for 'good conduct', I'm not enough a psychology geek to know what behaviour would result from 'rewards for (traitor) objectives'.

I am one of those people who likes the figuring-it-out of Goonstation, and feel 'the homicidal maniacs just get in the way of that'. So I'd appreciate something that would keep traitors focussed on killing a few people skilfully, while not trying to destroy everything else on the station.

But the rewards could have the opposite effect: causing gimmicky traitors to stop playing and get serious about stuff like 'hijack shuttle, escape alone' and lay waste to the escape section, while the usual 'I kill 4 fun' maniacs suddenly get rewarded for destroying Medbay because they also accidentally took out the cloner and robotics.

And I can't even grasp what would result from try-hard janitors trying to break into the Medical Bay so they can keep it spotless, while the whole station disintegrates around them.