Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rampages
I have zero problems with rampages. I might get salty when I'm in the middle of a project, but traitors should have freedom to kill, or antagonize; anyway they want. The only way a rampage could be a huge problem is when the player is intentionally trying to depopulate the server and never call the shuttle.
(I know nothing about the ban that sparked this so don't think I'm implying anything)

I think we're confusing "rampages" with "systematically singling out and stun/killing crew members silently until everyone is dead"

One the most entertaining rampages I've watched took absolutely no thought or planning. A plain (probably new) medical doctor ordered a shotgun and just started walking into open places full of people and absolutely destroying anyone they saw. It was very effective because "What the hell, who buys shotguns?". When security moved in it became a full on firefight. It was fun to watch and to take part in because it was something people could take part in. I think this is why blob, wraith, wizard, and nuke are fun as well.

Now when someone just waits until they see someone alone then pulls out their csaber/pen/taser/whatever and is guaranteed to kill them its both boring to watch and boring to have happen to. If the person being murdered manages to cry out for help, most of the crew is already dead from the antag already and/or too apathetic to do anything, which is a problem.
I guess Rampage = could be neat, Silent Murderbone Hatred = way less neat
(06-25-2016, 07:47 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I guess Rampage = could be neat, Silent Murderbone Hatred = way less neat

The one question I have over this, do people like a rampage where the antag is more vocal over the radio, taunting the crew, or just talking to the people they kill? It just seems like if you start trying to talk to someone they're just gonna take the advantage and murder your face anyways. At least when you start to goad the crew over the radio more people feel involved in the hunt.
I would definitely like a hammy rampager gloating in their moments of invulnerability/disorientation of the crew. I mean, I went on a rampage and gloated, but it was a rampage of hacking every single door to be stuck open with an emag. Gloating to your victim before you kill them can be cool, but also that message doesn't get to anybody (until maybe they talk about it to the other ghosts).
You're better off gloating over the radio, as it's extremely risky talking directly to your victims, due to the whole "need to stop to type" thing. The exception is if you're in a more definite safe spot. (Say, separated by a window.) I personally love shit-talking the crew over the radio as an antag, especially since enough shit talking will actually make people aware of you as being a "bad man" and cause them to actually do something when they see you.
WARNING RANT INCOMING!

So it's come to my attention that players are yelling at others for rampaging. It's time to stop forcing your playstyle onto others it's toxic and ruining the game for people. Instead of whining about it and hoping the admins take away the freedom of choice antags have. How about you people start fighting back? Play Security? Most admins still say to people "IF you want rampages to stop then be the one to stop them." Calling people shit for how they choose to play their rare antag rounds hurts everyone and really it makes me want to rampage more just to piss off these people more.

If you seriously hate rampages to the point where you have to impose your playstyle onto others then go to the RP server where in most cases rampages are a ban-able offense.

I've seen this toxic behavior since I started playing back in 09 and at first we made fun of them but now it's annoying and just sad. Everything has a counter in this game even rampages stop being lazy and learn how to fight back in this game. Like I said before in this thread

"You say there is no creativity in rampages well hardly anyone tries to fight back or use creativity to stop the traitor. They Just let it happen and that's just as bad if you ask me."

The people who just let it happen and just whine about it and attack other players in deadchat/OOC over it are equally bad if not worse.

I'm at the point where I think if you constantly whine about rampages you should be punished for it cause it's been going on FOR YEARS and again it's just toxic. It's seriously hard to have fun with your antag rounds cause you have to worry about the approval of your playstyle from other players or be harassed for days in OOC over one round. Although I don't care about how people feel about my playstyle I know it gets to some players. It's time this stopped. Learn the combat of this game it's not as hard as you think it is and you would know this if you started playing in the barebones days that was 2009. Your shitty attitude is seriously dragging other players down and is turning some people away from our community.

The Freedom of Choice that every player has on this station is what makes Goonstation what it is and some of you people calling for rampages to be banned.....Well your asking to remove and gut what makes Goonstation what it is and that's the freedom to play how you want to play. Telling others how to play this game when they are within the rules is shit and at this point metagaming in my opinion. Enough is enough.

Also I am requesting Admin's opinions on this as well. It's been going on for years off and on and I want to see it addressed in some way.
i feel like you could have typed all that without falling back on the toxic buzzword
(07-11-2016, 07:09 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i feel like you could have typed all that without falling back on the toxic buzzword

Nothing else came to mind sorry. Thanks for absolutely adding nothing to the conversation though! Also I hope none of you disregard what I said cause of "buzzwords" cause that's a dumb reason to disregard anything.
(07-11-2016, 07:18 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(07-11-2016, 07:09 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i feel like you could have typed all that without falling back on the toxic buzzword

Nothing else came to mind sorry. Thanks for absolutely adding nothing to the conversation though! Also I hope none of you disregard what I said cause of "buzzwords" cause that's a dumb reason to disregard anything.

what a good passive aggressive reply. i'm not disregarding it because of that but because of how silly your argument is. you say people  shouldn't force their idea of how to play the game on people which boils down to people screaming "stop doing what i don't like!" 

.....and then you go on to do the same thing and say that people who complain about it should be punished. "stop doing what i don't like!"   Frog Gonk
Stop being abusive to other players because of how they play. It creates a toxic environment that benefits no one and actively makes the game worse. If you don't like people rampaging, then sign up for security and arrest them. That's why we have security.
"The people who just let it happen and just whine about it and attack other players in deadchat/OOC over it are equally bad if not worse."

" It's seriously hard to have fun with your antag rounds cause you have to worry about the approval of your playstyle from other players or be harassed for days in OOC over one round."

This is bad. I don't think you should be yelled at or be harassed by other players cause you did something they don't like. It's also a good thing punishment here can vary from just a simply stop that or to a full on ban. Personally in my most extreme case I had a guy complain about me for Months saying nothing but untrue shit or ranting whenever he saw me or messing with me in the game. I would just deal with him myself but he did get yelled at for it. But it was always nice knowing someone was actively looking for me on this game cause I rampaged one round. Yes you should admin help it. What I am trying to say is that I feel more intervention should be involved now.

Also I want to apologize to you for the passive aggressive insult. That in itself added nothing to this discussion and made things needlessly heated. I feel very strongly about this topic and though that's no excuse I wanted to throw that it in anyways.
The main problem I have with rampages have mostly to do with the fact that everyone is so susceptible to stuns, and the response to stuns being boiled down to 'Get stamina regen chems' or 'don't get hit'.

Now I can get stamina regen chems pretty easily, and I can load up on them all through the round, but it's boring as hell. I spent several rounds just loading up on coffee and the like, but it wasn't fun. And I didn't really even need the chems most of the time anyway - Rarely if ever was I stunned. But if I want to stand a good chance against tasers or any other stun weapon, I need it. All it takes is for me to be low on coffee, and get hit with one shotgun shell, or one taser bolt from a taser or an energy gun, and that's probably going to be it. Chances are, once someone is stunned in view of an enemy, they're going to die. And once on the ground, there's nothing you can do about it. You just click furiously and hope the stun runs out before you get put into crit. I've since given up on regen chems.

So, the only other option I really have now is to just hit him first.

And sure, I could get my own taser and fight back against the antags by breaking into Security (And probably getting the Admin's ire), but it feels cheap to just hit a guy with a taser a couple times so I can beat the shit out of him and probably deal enough damage to put him into crit. But I do it anyway because melee against ranged stun is suicide, and any other ranged weapon for non-antags are few and far between assuming Sec isn't broken into.

That's me anyway. Stuns make rampages too easy to play and too easy to play against.
I'll actually counter on that (anti-salt attitude); a big draw to many people who rampage is the sheer amount of salt it generates. If somebody is seeking community approval via antag exploits then rampaging is never going to be the best. There are a few individuals we (dead people) all gather around and applaud for kicking so much ass on a rampage, but that's like 5%. The rest of the rampagers get salt or being ignored in favor of the mechanic shooting monkeys into the PTL.

The road goes both ways. So long as nothing goes cross-round let the salty people be salty. It's more fun that way.
Yeah I agree I hate how chems and Stun weapons are so OP now. I understand why Chems are but for Stun weapons it's nuts. I play nothing but Security so I use them on people more then they do to me and I can see how OP they are. Might have contributed to this issue.

This link here is a Thread where I talked about OP tasers in the past if anyone wants to read it.
http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=5302