Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SS13 remake - Space Station 14-1.
(01-17-2017, 10:06 AM)Cirrial Wrote: That is what we in the programming circle call a "remake".

oh okay i feel like an idiot now

also i think one of the reasons SS13 has'int been successfully remade is because they've been going about it in the wrong way. because put it simply ss13 is to complex to be multiplayer only it's hard enough to learn the mechanics on your own and even harder when some asshole is bombing the place. so it would be easier for the players if it had a single player mode where they could learn the mechanics on there own time at there own pace. Which is why if an ss13 remake wants to be successful making it would have to make a single player mode first then a multi player mode. despite the fact that it would be harder to code that way.
a single player SS13 would ruin everything; leaning how to play and fighting with the awkward cumbersome controls while being forced to sit out and wait till you can respawn is pretty well the whole point of the game. A single player SS13 would be played for a few hours until you learned everything, and then never played again.
SS13's charm lies in it's shittiness. It gets away with being shitty because it doesn't try to hide it's shittery.

It's basically the game equivalent of Donald Trump.
(01-17-2017, 02:28 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: SS13's charm lies in it's shittiness. It gets away with being shitty because it doesn't try to hide it's shittery.

then it is clear what we must do we must resurrect the corpse of ed wood and get jim sherman the guy who directed rocky picture horror show maybe the people who made goat simulator. And teach them how to make video games with any luck we will have our ss13 remake.
(01-17-2017, 03:55 PM)BBEG Wrote:
(01-17-2017, 02:28 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: SS13's charm lies in it's shittiness. It gets away with being shitty because it doesn't try to hide it's shittery.

then it is clear what we must do we must resurrect the corpse of ed wood and get jim sherman the guy who directed rocky picture horror show maybe the people who made goat simulator. And teach them how to make video games with any luck we will have our ss13 remake.

goat simulator has similar origins to ss13.  Just instead of putting more and more poo on top of an atmospherics simulator in BYOND, they put in a mess of random mechanics and programming exercises onto unreal.  Think urban sprawl compared to the ss13 hive city
Why not make a replica of SS13 so big and complex, that it has to be shitty to even function properly? This way there'd be so much to learn constantly, so much to do, and with the appeal of 2D spessmen breaking the laws of physics with a chair, handcuffs, cryostylane, and teleporters.
(01-17-2017, 11:00 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: a single player SS13 would ruin everything; leaning how to play and fighting with the awkward cumbersome controls while being forced to sit out and wait till you can respawn is pretty well the whole point of the game. A single player SS13 would be played for a few hours until you learned everything, and then never played again.

I figured a single player ss13 would be more like system shock 2
(01-18-2017, 06:58 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Why not make a replica of SS13 so big and complex, that it has to be shitty to even function properly? This way there'd be so much to learn constantly, so much to do, and with the appeal of 2D spessmen breaking the laws of physics with a chair, handcuffs, cryostylane, and teleporters.

so a SS13 mod for Dwarffortress?
(01-18-2017, 10:40 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote:
(01-17-2017, 11:00 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: a single player SS13 would ruin everything; leaning how to play and fighting with the awkward cumbersome controls while being forced to sit out and wait till you can respawn is pretty well the whole point of the game. A single player SS13 would be played for a few hours until you learned everything, and then never played again.

I figured a single player ss13 would be more like system shock 2

YES! but a bit more rouge likeish in that you have the option for perma death and with base building elements kinda like adventure mode from minecraft. also the poteintial remake should definately be built to be mod friendly
My idea of an ss13 remake would be: the same top-down sim, but with better UI and processing. Except in this case, atmos would take a back seat. I'd still like to have semi-complex atmos simulation for fire and MAYBE pressure simulation, but the main focus would be creating a base to which other systems can be added with little interdependence.
So, simply creating a base where all the item trees, basic functions and procedures, graphics, and all that are in place, but all the game mechanics can be glued onto an open source version?
(06-19-2016, 04:04 PM)ErikHanson Wrote: SS13 in 3D would never work, there is no way a single entity, or a small studio would be able to 'port over' all the features a mature SS13 codebase would have, even survival games like Rust and DayZ are super clunky.

I think you mean "immature."  Seriously, how do you push down and fart on people in 3d?
I still think that you could make a passable 3D SS13 with Garry's Mod.
(01-24-2017, 07:05 PM)Superlagg Wrote: I still think that you could make a passable 3D SS13 with Garry's Mod.

Thaaats not feasible in the slightest, sorry.
(01-24-2017, 08:39 PM)somepotato Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 07:05 PM)Superlagg Wrote: I still think that you could make a passable 3D SS13 with Garry's Mod.

Thaaats not feasible in the slightest, sorry.

Given enough time and imagination, anything's possible.

It'd still be shit though.
source: me attempting such a thing
i have two personal remake projects, one of which is in 3D though.
*cough* I didn't join just to advertise my project though *cough*