Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drunk surgery is half broken
By half, you can saw off your arm but you cannot attach a robotic arm. 

How2replicate:
Drink an entire box of cap booze-o-mat
Remove arm
Place robotic arm aiming for the missing arm on help intent.
Instead of attaching arm, you smack yourself with it.

Have tried with:
Light cyborg + Heavy cyborg
Have not tried legs/threads.

Kind of lame seen as it gave a roboticist shit to do when bored (i.e: Do surgery on himself)
Have you tried the laying down and standing back up on a proper surgical table trick? That's what I've done for years and its always worked fine, even without any booze at all.
Thats not drunk surgery grek. That's an exploit that has never been fixed.
Actually, it's a confirmed feature.

http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=2628
What
(06-19-2016, 08:48 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Actually, it's a confirmed feature.

What seems approving of the crowd back then does not make something a feature and should probably be reviewed.

The entire drunk surgery seemed to be the half-way house to this, instead of working around the code via shitty antics, you'd have to get yourself absolutely blitzed, which was actually fairly balanced because you'd be vomiting and dropping your shit and getting alcohol poisoning to boot. It was balanced.
Now it's gone you have to rely on shitty antics again.
Inebriated or not, it is the calling of the idle medical doctor to donate their own brain to science!!
Wait. You can do drunk surgery without laying on the floor and popping up first? Well shit.

[Image: 200_s.gif]
(06-19-2016, 01:39 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Wait. You can do drunk surgery without laying on the floor and popping up first? Well shit.

Always fun to walk into the bar and cut off all your limbs or debrain yourself!
(06-19-2016, 10:22 AM)Sundance Wrote: What
(06-19-2016, 08:48 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Actually, it's a confirmed feature.

What seems approving of the crowd back then does not make something a feature and should probably be reviewed.

The entire drunk surgery seemed to be the half-way house to this, instead of working around the code via shitty antics, you'd have to get yourself absolutely blitzed, which was actually fairly balanced because you'd be vomiting and dropping your shit and getting alcohol poisoning to boot. It was balanced.
Now it's gone you have to rely on shitty antics again.

I always thought that the two methods of self-surgery were meant to have different pros and cons so as to provide different forms of situational utility.

Getting drunk and doing surgery on yourself doesn't require an operation table and can be done in the field, so it's suitable for life or death shrapnel/headspider removal.

Table based self-surgery takes a lot longer, but is safer due to the absence of alcohol poisoning. It's more of a "There's no roboticists and I really need a new leg" kind of thing.

I say we keep both.
Perhaps it could be balanced by making self surgery cost stamina or something. If you want to cut your own arm off and replace it with yeti arms, you need to get incredibly high on painkillers or morphine first, which happen to be conveniently located in the medi vendor but are kind of addictive after long term use.

as is, Morphine is rarely used for anything actually medical, and letting people try to figure out the perfect dose to do self surgery without falling asleep while drunk would be funny.

I mean I'm pretty sure you can get meth from one of the pop machines. Shouldn't be that hard to get someone high then remove their own brain. Only downfall is meth addiction.
Quote: Table based self-surgery takes a lot longer, but is safer due to the absence of alcohol poisoning. It's more of a "There's no roboticists and I really need a new leg" kind of thing.
On the contrary, table based self-surgery takes far shorter than alcohol based self surgery.
I've seen it done in under a minute.
While alcohol based surgery on the other-hand takes a lot of time, you gotta get the booze, then you gotta operate on yourself, make sure you're topped up with meds and then fix the alcohol poisoning afterwards.
I make alcohol based surgery sound a lot of effort, and it IS, if you're trying to replace all your limbs with robot ones. But it's not actually bad at all if you're already missing an arm and just need to attach your one that's been flung off.
It's just not balanced, and I feel goonstation of all places reveres balance above all.
What WOULD be balanced would be the following:
A) Have alcohol based self surgery working.
B) Remove table based self surgery because it's a shitty work around.
C) Offer alternatives to people with missing limbs. Crutches that when held outright remove the speed decrease from limb loss (2 legs missing require 2 crutches for full restoration). More x-item arms, and have x-item arms require no surgery (if you have a missing the limb in the first place). Just place and suture.
On the contrary, I find alcohol surgery to be much faster since you don't have to wait for the delay between lying down and standing up.

Alcohol poisoning can also be easily cleared up with antihol.

Really, the main advantage of the table based on is that, given enough time, you can always do it. You're not always able to acquire alcohol. Especially if the bartender is dead or has a penchant for poisoning his drinks.

If we're going to revisit surgery, let's wait until robotics gets revised first. The roboticists are already bored enough as it is. Let's not take away any other fun things for them to do until we have some stuff to replace those things with.
i will punch whoever removes non-drunk tablesurgery in the face.
(06-21-2016, 07:48 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: i will punch whoever removes non-drunk tablesurgery in the face.

Y'know this argument may of been viable last thread this was brought up, but I'd like to think we've progressed beyond the point of "hey don't touch that quirk that everyone seems to be using, lest I punch you in the face"

The whole point of the surgery table is just that: To facilitate doctors operating on you. A little quirk in code which allows you to circumvent this whole thing has become commonplace and tbh it's never sat right with me. We're taking away work from MD's, a lot whom are willing. So it makes missing limbs (which y'know is quite a big fucking thing to happen to you) trivial.

People who are against this whole idea need to know I'm not against self surgery. I just feel like with the self surgery via table exploit is very very VERY cheap, and a lot of cool idea's and scenarios fall to the wayside when you can literally fix your limbs like ay presto.

That said I do agree with ya buttes.
I think attaching a roboprosthesis should be valid with drunk surgery. It's not like that would be harder than slapping on an arm with a stapler.

As to the methods, I think we should keep both. I find table surgery easier and more accessible (ironically), while drunk surgery is mobile and invariably cooler. If self-table surgery got axed, then we'd need something as convenient.

I seem to have bad luck with the people I interact with in medical. Roboticists zones in on their 'project', geneticists being geneticists, and Mdocs injecting me with styptic. I get my ass saved 95% of the time by a jazz enthusiast, a veteran security officer, or a medborg. Bless those medborgs when they aren't tryin' to kill ya, am I right?