Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
SS13 on UE4
Just a quick question on what people would think about an attempt being made on recreating SS13 on Unreal Engine 4. Please leave responses below and give any suggestions or help that I could use. If enough people seem to be interested then I will most likely start soon.
I'd love to see it happen, but good luck.
(06-15-2016, 08:37 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I'd love to see it happen, but good luck.

Its basically the fact that, I'd give it a good go, but I would see no point if there wasn't much support behind it or want for it.
Almost any game engine would be immensely superior to byond.

There's a ton of support for the idea, it's just that we're all jaded after so many failed attempts to remake it.
(06-15-2016, 08:44 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Almost any game engine would be immensely superior to byond.

There's a ton of support for the idea, it's just that we're all jaded after so many failed attempts to remake it.

Yeah, I've seen, as long as it would take I would stick at it however! So maybe one day, soon.
SS13 in 3D would never work, there is no way a single entity, or a small studio would be able to 'port over' all the features a mature SS13 codebase would have, even survival games like Rust and DayZ are super clunky.
I would love for this to happen, but I don't personally believe it is possible unless a lot of money and work hours went into it. A while it would be awesome to have a first person shooting component to combat, I think it would be very difficult to translate the game's wacky mechanics into the first person realm. For instance, the right hand left hand manipulation would be removed for standard "push e to pick up" things. This would seem like a great benefit to appealing to a wider playerbase, but I almost feel that it would kill off some of the "feel" of ss13. Half of being "robust" is being able to efficiently navigate the hell that is the UI, whereas in a first person setting, being robust would literally translate to pushing ADADAD to strafe spam while shooting, like in any other game. Yes, people do this in the current version, but I swear in FPS games, this stuff gains much more weight in determining the outcome. Coming from Planetside 2, this would be hilarious, but I'm not sure it would be good for the game.

Another huge aspect of first person shooters are headshot multipliers. Do you guys really want to get headshot and die nearly instantly? Because that will happen! The alternative (no multiplier) is even worse: a bunch of human spaceman tanks running around screaming.

Plus just think of how awkward it would be to try to do the Jay Wolff bowling ball trash compactor thing in first person. Looking backwards to grab the damn thing all the time. I don't know.

I almost think the game needs to be isometric in nature. I still support the hell out of this and hope you give it a shot, but I think an improved isometric version would not only be more attainable, but better.
(06-15-2016, 11:13 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: SS13 in 3D would never work, there is no way a single entity, or a small studio would be able to 'port over' all the features a mature SS13 codebase would have, even survival games like Rust and DayZ are super clunky.

Doesn't UE4 offer 2D support?
(06-15-2016, 11:32 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 11:13 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: SS13 in 3D would never work, there is no way a single entity, or a small studio would be able to 'port over' all the features a mature SS13 codebase would have, even survival games like Rust and DayZ are super clunky.

Doesn't UE4 offer 2D support?

Yes it does.

(06-15-2016, 11:31 AM)Boon Yoon Wrote: I would love for this to happen, but I don't personally believe it is possible unless a lot of money and work hours went into it. A while it would be awesome to have a first person shooting component to combat, I think it would be very difficult to translate the game's wacky mechanics into the first person realm. For instance, the right hand left hand manipulation would be removed for standard "push e to pick up" things. This would seem like a great benefit to appealing to a wider playerbase, but I almost feel that it would kill off some of the "feel" of ss13. Half of being "robust" is being able to efficiently navigate the hell that is the UI, whereas in a first person setting, being robust would literally translate to pushing ADADAD to strafe spam while shooting, like in any other game. Yes, people do this in the current version, but I swear in FPS games, this stuff gains much more weight in determining the outcome. Coming from Planetside 2, this would be hilarious, but I'm not sure it would be good for the game.

Another huge aspect of first person shooters are headshot multipliers. Do you guys really want to get headshot and die nearly instantly? Because that will happen! The alternative (no multiplier) is even worse: a bunch of human spaceman tanks running around screaming.

Plus just think of how awkward it would be to try to do the Jay Wolff bowling ball trash compactor thing in first person. Looking backwards to grab the damn thing all the time. I don't know.

I almost think the game needs to be isometric in nature. I still support the hell out of this and hope you give it a shot, but I think an improved isometric version would not only be more attainable, but better.
Thanks for the feedback, I was actually thinking of it being in third person not first, and potentially keeping the hand system and how holding stuff works instead of the "traditional FPS" system. I'll inform you if I ever get anywhere!
Yeah, I'd rather see attempts at capturing the social interactions and job role-playing than a 100 percent recreation in first person.

I think people really get stuck on the idea of having it take place in space, too. Why not an underground super science facility ala Half-life? Or how about a cyberpunk future tech expo?
I'm pretty sure the most realistic thing as far as ss13 remakes go is just porting the game from byond to a language that doesn't make coders drop to their knees and commit their preferential form of suicide at the mere mention of it's name.

I'm pretty sure I could make an effective scare-coder out of a stick with a note that said "Atmos system revamp" attached to it.
I still have hope for SS14 to slowly grow, since someone just added serverside lua scripting in april.

The problem with SS13 is that the scale of the game is years worth of development condensed into a free spaceman game and you're never going to get that level of development without someone devoting themselves for years to building a playable prototype that other people can work on.

SS13 was originally an atmos sim IIRC.

I kinda think a spiritual successor centered around a submarine (one already exists), or like a frontier settlement ala Jamestown could work.

I mean this game is essentially a multiplayer version of dwarf fortress in space. I kinda wanna see people scream for a doctor because somebody got smallpox or dysentery, and rather than pods, a multiplayer version of oregon trail.
The best hope for SS13 getting a remake that I've seen is Tech Compliant. It's not a direct remake, which is a very good thing.

The subreddit is the only place they seem to be posting stuff right now.

On a side note, I don't know what engine they're using for the game. It's either Unity or Unreal.
(06-15-2016, 07:33 PM)Mageziya Wrote: The best hope for SS13 getting a remake that I've seen is Tech Compliant. It's not a direct remake, which is a very good thing.

A good part about that one is the game is entirely self funded, apparently the creator comes from money or something similar.