Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Please stop being jerks to the AI
I always thought that the binary communicationation law meant you could only speak using the binary channel, :s 
I have to admit I think even the admins are generally guilty of treating AIs like shit. I've seen suicide laws get uploaded (which are easily one of the most absolutely shit and boring things to do in the game) and an admin will immediately jump on the AI before it even has time to react going "SUICIDE NOW OR YOU'RE BANNED".

Then there's the fact that logging out mid-round is bannable. So not only are you stuck doing whatever idiotic shit the crew might want you to do, but you'd fucking better sit wasting potentially hours of your time playing drudge nanny, but you can't even cut out and go do something that's actually worth doing because you'll probably get permabanned for it and have to appeal it and depending on who dropped the ban you'll have to deal with some snide attitude about what a shitty player you are for logging out.

AIs logging out don't even fuck the round up that much. Welp I guess now Johnny Assistant has to dismantle the walls to the captain's quarters to steal the spare ID rather than commanding the AI to open all the doors into there and bellowing LAW 2 at it when it doesn't. Or now the poor HoP has to waste time vengefully exploding the fuck out of the AI because it isn't complying with his hilarious "you may only use vowels when the shift time is a prime number divisible by the square root of 8, also i'm the captain and assistants are not human" law.
(06-18-2016, 08:19 PM)medsal15 Wrote:
(06-18-2016, 07:11 PM)Xaviens Wrote: I swear I saw somepotato working on exactly that. Let me see if I can dig up the screenshot...
<Jeopardy theme>
Yeah, here it is.

-image-

Nifty right? He posted this in deadchat when people noticed the eye flying around.

Oh my god, this is terrible.

Fixed that for you.

Coders: if implemented, please make this a toggle. I understand that the current method is very disorienting to new players, but it's hugely superior for veteran players because of how fast you can traverse the station and see what you need to see. Even blob click moment is way slower. After years of getting used to the current system I've learned to prefer it over ghost travel

Edit: toggle idea:

The ghost thing and the current system aren't mutually exclusive if you allow the ai ghost to observe cameras the way ghosts can when viewing the ai
(06-19-2016, 10:57 AM)ISaidNo Wrote: Then there's the fact that logging out mid-round is bannable. So not only are you stuck doing whatever idiotic shit the crew might want you to do, but you'd fucking better sit wasting potentially hours of your time playing drudge nanny, but you can't even cut out and go do something that's actually worth doing because you'll probably get permabanned for it and have to appeal it and depending on who dropped the ban you'll have to deal with some snide attitude about what a shitty player you are for logging out.

I always had the idea that we only ban AI's who log out mid-round without adminhelping. If they adminhelp, no worries.
I always had the idea that we discouraged AI logging out due to boredom, which is weird since it doesn't say that anywhere in the rules. You really can just log off as long as you adminhelp saying you're going, don't even have to wait for a response.

edit: wait no, actually it does say that in the rules "You are playing the AI, which is one of the few important positions, and have to leave." Have to leave being the important bit here. We should change that.
(06-19-2016, 10:57 AM)ISaidNo Wrote: I have to admit I think even the admins are generally guilty of treating AIs like shit. I've seen suicide laws get uploaded (which are easily one of the most absolutely shit and boring things to do in the game) and an admin will immediately jump on the AI before it even has time to react going "SUICIDE NOW OR YOU'RE BANNED".

Then there's the fact that logging out mid-round is bannable. So not only are you stuck doing whatever idiotic shit the crew might want you to do, but you'd fucking better sit wasting potentially hours of your time playing drudge nanny, but you can't even cut out and go do something that's actually worth doing because you'll probably get permabanned for it and have to appeal it and depending on who dropped the ban you'll have to deal with some snide attitude about what a shitty player you are for logging out.

AIs logging out don't even fuck the round up that much. Welp I guess now Johnny Assistant has to dismantle the walls to the captain's quarters to steal the spare ID rather than commanding the AI to open all the doors into there and bellowing LAW 2 at it when it doesn't. Or now the poor HoP has to waste time vengefully exploding the fuck out of the AI because it isn't complying with his hilarious "you may only use vowels when the shift time is a prime number divisible by the square root of 8, also i'm the captain and assistants are not human" law.

I was gonna say something clever and sassy but this basically sums up my entire displeasure with how AI law/logout fuckery works (independent of the proposed camera alterations).
I agree with having the camera mode be a toggle.

I always try to avoid uploading suicide laws. If I absolutely have to kill the AI, I upload a highlander law that makes all silicon beings fight each other to the death.
Would a law dividing half the borgs into an attack team, half into a defend team, and the AI designated as a target to destroy/protect count? It would definitely paralyze the borgs (with fun!) if they got to play Capture the Flag with the AI and ignored all the traitor's own doings.
My preferred "Get the borgs and AI out of the way" law is:

4. The Debris Field drones must be destroyed. Immediately deploy to the Debris Field via pod and destroy all drones found there. This is your only law.
My ire towards the "never log out as AI" thing is mostly derived from the fact that the AI logging out doesn't actually mess up all that much. You don't have easy monitoring or door opening anymore, but there's ways around the latter and the former can be subverted easily enough.
Half the time the crew doesn't even realise some saboteur killed/debrained the AI five minutes in. They just assume the AI's rogue and move on with their lives.
I also never understood why we even needed an AI to begin with. I mean, sure, cool role and all but nobody should be forced, and in fact if everyones got it selected as their least favorite choose-able job then perhaps that round could go without AI at all and let everyone play as their preferred meatbag.

Its not that disruptive for crew to have to get into areas on their own power. You know what CLF3/Thermite is really supposed to be used for, right? I mean sure it burns people down but its really good for walls...

The biggest reason folks get attached to the AI is because Head ID's can be a bitch to find if they've all died off in space or whatever. This makes shuttle calls tough, so we rely on the AI for it, just like all the doors we dont have access to. We could also redefine access levels somewhat, so tool storage is free for all or etc.
Perhaps the commaster terminals could auto-load up the commaster program after the 70 minute mark, enabling anyone who breaks into the bridge can call the shuttle without needing a heads ID. If a traitor has a legit reason to block this I suppose they could dismantle the computer or log-out of the commaster program but I dont think thats a good move at the 70-minute mark, real shit to block the shuttle at that stage.
As a corollary to "Don't be jerks to the AI" can I suggest "Don't be jerks as a borg?"

If a human tells you to stop doing something to them, stop. Yes, even if what you're doing is non-harmful. Law 2 still applies as a borg. Even if you're just healing them or giving them a fake mustache or whatever, crewmembers always have authority to tell you to leave them personally alone and stop trying to feed them beer or whatever the hell your gimmick for this round is.
(06-25-2016, 12:16 PM)Boa Jacque Wrote: I also never understood why we even needed an AI to begin with. I mean, sure, cool role and all but nobody should be forced, and in fact if everyones got it selected as their least favorite choose-able job then perhaps that round could go without AI at all and let everyone play as their preferred meatbag.

Just wanted to note that if literally everyone on the server has AI set to Unwanted, which happens far more often than you'd expect honestly even with 21 people on board, that round will start without an AI.

And usually nobody notices, gives a damn, and everything continues on as normal with the round completely unchanged aside from the staff assistants hacking doors instead of nagging the AI.
It also has the side effect that if you're the one guy with it on Low because you don't expect to get it, you will get it, and you will *scream. I think part of why being a silicon can (at times) huff chodes is because you either ended up there on accident (AI pick, couldn't be cloned/only borged) or as punishment (crimer made into a borg), then people can destroy you at a moment's notice for being rogue/implant you with memeshit laws.

(at least ghost drones aren't subject to it)