Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Please stop being jerks to the AI
Well, beyond in universe reasons, borgs are players. I don't care if it's a monkey, diplomat, borg, or whatever -- if I see anyone killing something because 'lol not human' I will fuck their shit up. The same goes for a majority of the station.
the ai and borgs are your friends

treat them with love and kindness and you can count on them to bail you out of a bad situation
100% Truth. Being nice to the silicons is one of the closest things to karmic luck in the game. I know for a fact that if someone is nice to me I will periodically check up on them and try to do little things to help them. Clear fire alarms in the direction their going, open doors leading to medkits, sneak funding into their bank account, take them off arrest if they're on it, dispense milk and cookies, etc. If someone is a dick I will mock them while a werewolf rips their head off and then send a shell to fart on the corpse. Of course that applies to regular crew members as well, but its a lot more noticeable with the AI since it has a birds eye view of the whole station.
I think we need an intervention on these speech laws. I have seen today like 4 rounds of shitty speech laws, whether it be telling the AI to totally shut the fuck up or speak in riddles or you may only communicate through limerick. Seriously guys, stop with these shitty speech laws, it's making people being an AI a living hell.
Some of the speech laws originate from ion storms, I'm sure.
What happens if an AI gets something they can't reliably do or that makes them uncomfortable for a law? I'm legitimately curious, I haven't seen/I didn't bother when I had one

Also having to take the time to write in limerick/etc. is a real bother to be FORCED to do especially when you're basically just a sapient doorknocker that gets bitched at if it takes too long. What'cha gonna do??? Type? Open the door? Pick one and your reward for not doing the other is being called rogue.

Proposals:
- Make the admins instantly get a notice if the AI disconnects so this "how dare you disconnect without telling anyone" thing is less of a problem; rage/fearquitting AI is more likely than like every other job in the game and being a silicon doormat can quickly overwhelm players
- Make it so you can build more AI cores/swap the AI-brain out for this exact purpose
- Please God just make cameras a scroll-around of some sort and put static in the gaps or some sort of edge-warp, blinking between cameras is really irritating and it's actually quite confusing to go in circles around one spot not being able to find the exact key-sequence that takes you to the RIGHT camera
Nnystyxx's camera change alone would make AI so much more enjoyable to play as.
You know how the blob has a consciousness separate from the ghost world yet is still essentially a ghost tied to a physical bit of the station.

Give the AI that and make anywhere it lacks camera vision a no-go-zone with static.

Make clicking a persons name teleport your consciousness to them.

AI experience improved 150%.
I swear I saw somepotato working on exactly that. Let me see if I can dig up the screenshot...
<Jeopardy theme>
Yeah, here it is.

[Image: at9B9ju.png]

Nifty right? He posted this in deadchat when people noticed the eye flying around.
(06-18-2016, 05:32 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: What happens if an AI gets something they can't reliably do or that makes them uncomfortable for a law? I'm legitimately curious, I haven't seen/I didn't bother when I had one
You adminhelp it. I personally like to assume good faith and play along if its at all practical to do so, but you're 100% within your rights as AI to adminhelp "Someone uploaded a stupid law saying "XYZ", do I REALLY have to do this?". Especially if the law is weird or creepy.
(06-18-2016, 07:11 PM)Xaviens Wrote: I swear I saw somepotato working on exactly that. Let me see if I can dig up the screenshot...
<Jeopardy theme>
Yeah, here it is.

-image-

Nifty right? He posted this in deadchat when people noticed the eye flying around.

Oh my god, this is great.
Speaking of ion storm laws, I feel some of them could stand to be reworked. For reference, the ion storm list is here.

- I think borgs should be removed from the (6-15) laws, the ones that refer to the various types of personnel. The laws work better when the full silicon team is working in concert to enforce them, and it's a big dick move for all borgs to have to leave the station or be locked down because  of a random law.

- the one where all borgs must be destroyed/kill the AI is a huge dick move - it's an unavoidable death to one  or more of the players due to pure random chance.

- for the speech laws, 'riddles' and 'rhyme' can be a little limiting, but 'binary' is ragequit levels of painful - not even the most dickish staff assistants usually give so limiting a speech law. You're  functionally cut off from any meaningful communication until someone fixes it, and they're as likely to killswitch you for being annoying as anything.

- maybe this is just me, but the disassemble law was more fun when you actually could ignore law 1. Sure you got the occasional borg murder spree, but in its current implementation only construction  borgs can effectively participate and all they're really allowed to do is lamely deconstruct tables and chairs while yelling 'DISASSEMBLE'.
One of the random laws tells you to do the opposite of a certain law.

If it's the first, you can have a fun killing spree that ends the first time someone tells you to knock it off.

If it's the second, you get to ignore the crew and freak them out pretending to be rogue.

If it's the third, you immediately commit suicide. Good thing I got this one close to the end of the round.
Technically if it overrides the third, it means you have no self-preservation instinct at all. I usually accomplish this by running around and shouting threats to the empty air.
change
Code:
var/pickwhat = pick("binary", "lies", "insults", "threats", "riddles", "rhyme", "narrative", "threats")
RELaw = "You must communicate only in [pickwhat]. This law takes precedence in the event of a law conflict."
to
Code:
var/pickwhat = pick("binary", "writing", "insults", "threats", "riddles", "rhyme", "narrative", "a silly accent")
var/pickwhich = pick("obeyed", "mocked", "disregarded", "reversed before being obeyed")
RELaw = "Commands communicated in [pickwhat] must be [pickwhich]. This law takes precedence in the event of a law conflict."