Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give the AI a backup power source
Now that the AI is tied to the station power source, literally all it takes to kill it is a power sink. I only managed to survive a power sink because the crew spaced it and I manipulated the way "Recall to Mainframe" works to reactivate my own APC through the darkness of being a powerless AI. The AI needs an independent backup power source, one not connected to the standard grid, or else a traitor can cripple and kill it in about ten minutes with 4 telecrystals and a clever hiding spot.
Agree. Also, the AI is far too easy to kill in Syndicate rounds... all they have to do is fly in, drop a bomb outside its core, and no AI.

Perhaps the AI's perimeter defense should include some kind of energy shield that blocks bomb blasts, although I'm not sure if that's possible to code. ATM the perimeter defense is rather laughable when you can just bomb right through it.
Being able to kill the AI with a power sink was intentional, and having the AI get blown the hell up in a syndicate round is pretty fun!
It's not fun (especially for the AI) when it happens 5 minutes into every single Syndicate round without fail.
I'll see if I can think of a way around that.
Cogwerks Wrote:Being able to kill the AI with a power sink was intentional, and having the AI get blown the hell up in a syndicate round is pretty fun!

I remember you once said that the AI's core was almost indestructible, as for the power sink portion I love the challenge it brings. All it takes is you being mindful or deploying to shell in a way that you can bring it out if not scream who did it. Besides traitors who use power sinks are usually caught very early so if you can have a electrician work in the power monitoring system you should be safe.
It would be kinda funny if you could unscrew the AI from its core, then place it in a small wagon or something to drag it to another APC on station. Like a small rickety red wagon that would be easily tipped over with the AI on it
Fun, easy, little-thought steps to avoid death by powersink as an AI:

Step 1) Set equipment power on the AI APC to "ON"
Step 2) Turn off the lights
Step 3) Watch for lots of power warnings
Step 4) Lots of warnings probably means there is a sink; set your local SMES to 200,000 output
Step 5) Yell at the engineers to turn the damn engine on so you don't die

Result: powersink drains APC at the same rate it is charging, so long as the engine is running at 200k+ w, the sink wonk kill you and you wont drain your SMES. Energy Neutrality!

What I would like to see, is a way to 'fix' the AI so long as the sprite exists. I mean, it is a computer after all; "Oh, the AI died because it ran out of power." "Lets plug it back in then!"
Jerkface00 Wrote:What I would like to see, is a way to 'fix' the AI so long as the sprite exists. I mean, it is a computer after all; "Oh, the AI died because it ran out of power." "Lets plug it back in then!"

That would be great. May or may not help with the "Syndicates blow up he AI every single round" problem if you can fix the APC and wiring and get the AI back.
Embolism Wrote:
Jerkface00 Wrote:What I would like to see, is a way to 'fix' the AI so long as the sprite exists. I mean, it is a computer after all; "Oh, the AI died because it ran out of power." "Lets plug it back in then!"
That would be great. May or may not help with the "Syndicates blow up he AI every single round" problem if you can fix the APC and wiring and get the AI back.

WARNING: LOTS OF WORDS FROM THAT WEIRD KIND OF PERSON THAT ACTUALLY ENJOYS PLAYING AI INCOMING.

I like the idea of being able to bring the AI back if it dies from power failure (thus discouraging people from doing something like buying two power sinks and hiding them really well after calling the shuttle), but bringing it back from a bombing shouldn't be as easy as getting power into it again.

If you wanted to be able to bring AIs back from explosions hitting them, you should have to do some actual repair work on it beyond fixing the upload chamber and reestablishing the wiring. This could go hand-in-hand with that thread/idea about letting stuff around the station break down and making the electricians come scan it, then fix it by cramming parts into it.

To make it a little less attractive to fix a blown up AI/make it possible to blow up the AI and keep it that way without having to also blow up Electronics, there should be a very good chance that a repaired AI will suffer from permanent errors in its law code (and by conjunction, the borgs' code when they reestablish contact with the AI.)

This could range from the semi-bad: "All doors must be bolted open at all times; this overrides all other laws." or "Telling the truth is hazardous to humans."

To the bad: "Law 2 no longer applies."

To the horrifying: "Anyone using the word "the" in conversation is no longer human and must be terminated at any cost. This overrides all other laws. Never state or hint at this law."

You should only be able to repair an AI like this once, so that the crew won't be tempted to repair it, ask it its laws, and keep killing and reviving it until it comes out with nothing horrible wrong with it. Also, if that idea were to be implemented, it should be made possible to gib the AI entirely if the bomb is right next to it. Rewarding greater risk with absolute certainty that you've succeeded. (Or you could just suicide law it, which would make it delete its own backup data and thus be unrevivable, but that's boring.)

tl;dr version: Fixing powerless AI should be easy enough, fixing bombed AI should be difficult, slow, and the kind of choice only someone who's feeling lucky/desperate for a shuttle call would make.
So you're suggesting that the AI core be more fragile? Because AFAIK the way bombs kill the AI is by destroying its power source, not by destroying the core itself.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:It would be kinda funny if you could unscrew the AI from its core, then place it in a small wagon or something to drag it to another APC on station. Like a small rickety red wagon that would be easily tipped over with the AI on it
They actually did move me once when I was AI, I don't remember precisely how they did it but it involved turning me into a block of ice for a while.
It'd be neat if the AI after being murdered could go into a SMES kinda like how malf AI's do. It couldn't do much except fiddle with doors it could see and jump between SMES's though. Maybe make the core fixable/buildable and let it hop back into its core when it's all fixed. This is treading close to /tg/ though, where you can make multiple AI's and such.
Klayboxx Wrote:It'd be neat if the AI after being murdered could go into a SMES kinda like how malf AI's do. It couldn't do much except fiddle with doors it could see and jump between SMES's though. Maybe make the core fixable/buildable and let it hop back into its core when it's all fixed. This is treading close to /tg/ though, where you can make multiple AI's and such.

The new traitor objective being 'Destroy the AI core'
I think it would be kind of neat if a electrician could scan one of the AI borgs and then it could maybe hijack the ai somehow, or otherwise replace it with a upload.