Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Buff the Revolver
I feel that the revolver is very weak. I was able to lazily taser a revolver wielding maniac today, disarming him, and I put three reloads into him, with the third killing him. It was a slow and miserable death, with lots of clicking for me, especially given the point blank range. He wasn't even armored either, just a firesuit.

I feel like using such "lethal" ammunition is only lethal for the user, unless you are shooting harmless civilians. A secman simply has to absorb your bullets with his body, taze you, and beat you to death for using such a bad weapon. In such a situation, you'd be better off using stun .38's and tool-boxing your foe. 

Compare the revolver to the energy gun, and it's pretty much a joke. 

I feel that the bleed needs to be increased dramatically, and the direct damage tuned up a bit. I also think it should have a fair chance at knockdown.
I agree with everything except for the request to give the revolver knockdown power as well. It may be underpowered compared to the stun weapons right now but giving it a buff with knockdown on top of it seems a tad OP in my opinion.
Are we talking about the traitor revolver or the detective's .38 here? Or the AP ammo traitor detectives can buy?
Oh, sorry. To clarify, I am referring to the traitor revolver in .357. I brought up stun .38's to show how they basically outclass magnum ammo in most situations.

The detective's revolver is fine for what it is.
I also thought we were talking about the traitor revolver.

EDIT: Seconds before this post Boon made his. Shockingly I learned that we were indeed talking about the traitor revolver.
Consider fighting a nukeops team with buffed revolvers that also stun.
Yeah perhaps the knockdown suggestion was a bit too much, though by a fair knockdown rate, I was thinking like 20%.

I still do think that a bleed and direct damage increase is worth looking into. I'd personally like the bleed to be really scary, ramping up drastically if you take multiples.
If possible, maybe make it so that consecutive hits within like say, a 2 - 3 second timeframe have a chance of knocking people down, mitigated by armor. Not a stun, but a knockdown. Like being shoved over or something.

You probably won't get floored by one bullet, a couple not so much.
I haven't been hit by one in a while, but I recall them hurting a bit while unarmored. Sometimes people are beyond death but it takes a few ticks for them to realize it. -- Looks like firesuits cut gun damage by a third, and vests by a half. That's pretty substantial.

The taser really just outclasses almost everything, which is why you often see antags rolling with a couple.
(06-10-2016, 09:35 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: I haven't been hit by one in a while, but I recall them hurting a bit while unarmored. Sometimes people are beyond death but it takes a few ticks for them to realize it. -- Looks like firesuits cut gun damage by a third, and vests by a half. That's pretty substantial.

The taser really just outclasses almost everything, which is why you often see antags rolling with a couple.

Taser stuns are actually reduced by armor values just like bullet damage is.

The real issue is the slowing effect applied by taser bolts. It bypasses all armor checks and makes it significantly easier to land additional hits after the first one.
(06-10-2016, 10:21 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: The real issue is the slowing effect applied by taser bolts. It bypasses all armor checks and makes it significantly easier to land additional hits after the first one.

For almost a year now I've been extremely vocal on that aspect of the taser and been asking for it to get changed. Cogwerks heard my cries and nerfed it a bit. It's still there but at least it got nerfed. No idea if the new movement made it worse cause I have noted that being exposed to the cold made it impossible to move out of a square and being in crit did the same thing as being exposed to the cold. Now I don't know if either have been fixed cause I have not been able to play lately but what I am saying is it would not surprise me if getting slowed down by tasers or stun rounds are still a bit funky cause of the new system.
does being struck by normal bullets do stamina damage? if being kicked, punched, or mashed by a fire extinguisher tires you out, being shot with bullets probably should too. this is a good option to explore. stamina damage is much more granular and can be tweaked up and down more than an all-or-nothing condition like stun or knockdown
The revolver's real strength is its bleed damage. You can put three or four rounds in a guy and he'll generally die before he can get to medbay, but it is laughably bad against security. Also I think tasers generally are pretty OP, every time I've lost an antag round recently has been to a sec officer with basic gear and a taser or stun-egun.