Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rebalance Robotic Modules + tools
Heck, with a system like that, it might be a good idea to combine med/chem, bro/civ, and mining/engineering modules at the basic level, then give 1 free upgrade with the module selection to take them down the desired path.
Addendum to noah's post: Scrapping modules and starting from scratch is literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Wanna go find the last thread to do with cyborg research? You cant. It's been pruned. What's that say about it, or us?

I've been here long enough to know that when we start from scratch without a general consensus, the general path it takes is
A) The entire thing gets fucked and becomes feature barren.
B) The community gets annoyed.
C) The coder gets frustrated that the community is annoyed, repeat ad infinitum.

That branching idea that you had frank, I suggested the exact same thing during that thread. It got shot down.
In-fact I think the branching idea is still a solid idea, but nobody's gonna touch it until we finalize the current module system and borgs as a whole. 
This is the process I'd like to see: 
Shit is featureless --> Add features --> Rework bit by bit with added features
rather than
Shit is featureless --> Scrap entirely and start over --> Add features. 

The latter has been proven to not work.
(06-09-2016, 03:40 PM)Sundance Wrote: Addendum to noah's post: Scrapping modules and starting from scratch is literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Wanna go find the last thread to do with cyborg research? You cant. It's been pruned. What's that say about it, or us?

I've been here long enough to know that when we start from scratch without a general consensus, the general path it takes is
A) The entire thing gets fucked and becomes feature barren.
B) The community gets annoyed.
C) The coder gets frustrated that the community is annoyed, repeat ad infinitum.

For an example, see materials.

(06-09-2016, 03:40 PM)Sundance Wrote: This is the process I'd like to see: 
Shit is featureless --> Add features --> Rework bit by bit with added features
rather than
Shit is featureless --> Scrap entirely and start over --> Add features. 

The latter has been proven to not work.

This is pretty much true.

The only exceptions (maybe) that come to mind are replacing the singularity with a thermo-electric generator and cogwerk's chem rewrite.
I've already finished the brobot moodlight.
Wasn't hydroponics rewritten to an extent? Or was that just changing the pots to accept chemicals.

Also Mechanics was reworked because making tools was a pain in the butt, and it is so much better now. Before you had to scan a tool, build a circuit board with parts that were annoyingly tiny, and then use that doodad (soldering iron) to make a box if you are competent enough to follow the entire process the first time, otherwise you had to figure out what you did wrong, remove all the stuff you did wrong, and then try again.

Old mechanics sucked.

Plus thanks to the soldering iron now being a part of the general manufacturer, I discovered it's an useful electrified grill breaking tool because it works pretty much as well as a glass shard and also serves a dual purpose if you have mechanics access.
(06-10-2016, 11:55 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: Wasn't hydroponics rewritten to an extent? Or was that just changing the pots to accept chemicals.

Also Mechanics was reworked because making tools was a pain in the butt, and it is so much better now. Before you had to scan a tool, build a circuit board with parts that were annoyingly tiny, and then use that doodad (soldering iron) to make a box if you are competent enough to follow the entire process the first time, otherwise you had to figure out what you did wrong, remove all the stuff you did wrong, and then try again.

Old mechanics sucked.

Plus thanks to the soldering iron now being a part of the general manufacturer, I discovered it's an useful electrified grill breaking tool because it works pretty much as well as a glass shard and also serves a dual purpose if you have mechanics access.

I'm not sure about hydroponics.

Maybe?

Old mechanics sucked yes, but the change to the replication aspect wasn't a complete overhaul. It streamlined the build process by removing an unnecessary pain in the ass.
hey, yknow what would be really cool for med borgs? if they received health implant alerts and morgue chute alerts. and it would be even better if they had an implanter to stick health implants into people. then they could take more initiative in monitoring the health of persons of interest/importance and responding to health alerts.

borgs of any type should probably receive alerts relevant to their department, really. the minebot could be plugged into the qm alerts and double as a qm too if no human ones are on duty, for example. could be renamed resourcebot :3 because both mining and qm are great places to get resources.
It's Saturday, so expect updates later today!
the secbot might benefit from a syringe, beaker and welder for ling blood test purposes. or a bottle of vodka instead of the welder, since ling blood makes bloody scary.

also i dont know if you saw my idea to let some bots intended for outside work like the minebot, maybe construction bot, recharge their battery off of the engine power of a pod rather than having to stroll all the way to a recharge station but i think its a kool idea. it might demand that some of the pod systems be shut off in order for there to be leftover power if you like.
Give the sec bot a zippo lighter instead of a welder, as it can accomplish the same thing without the extreme scope of what welders are capable of, and also thematically fits.
Unilyzer has been coded.

Finished the civ bot's satchel thing.
finished the civ bot's chainsaw and reagent holder.
finished the deluxe hyposprays.

that's all for today.
Working on the omnitool now.
I was writing a borg module awhile back that let people ride on the back of em, should finish that.