Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rebalance Robotic Modules + tools
This following effortpost is just an observation that i've had on borgs which is the most popular modules are the ones that offer the most out of their title, such as medibot, constructionbot, etc. One's that are extremely efficient at their job. So why not go a step further? The following suggestion basically tweaks the modules to be 
A)Super efficient
B)Jack-of-all trades/unique tools
C)Fun to play

~Brobot~
Starting upgrade: Efficiency
Brobot and Standard has now merged to become an ultimate brobot, capable of burning the station down with it's fun. 

~New tools~
Magic pen: When clicked in-hand, switched between pen, crayon or marker. W O W
Unilyzer: A tool that is common with most modules, I feel cybernetic beings should be able to analyze certain things in a whirl, because that's part of their function. When clicked in-hand, switches between health-atmos-chemistry analysis. Burns a minor amount of battery when switching.
Mood Light: The perfect light for a brobot, replacing the flashlight. Click in-hand to turn it on, click yourself to switch colors.

~Full list of tools~
Cell Cables
Fire extinguisher 
Wrench 
Crowbar
Screwdriver
Multitool
PDA
Magic Pen  
Zippo lighter 
Unilyzer
Camera monitor 
Sound synthesizer 
Food synthesizer 
Space beer 
Drinking glass
Probability disc
Probability cube
Cardboard tube 
Mood Light

~Civbot~
Starting upgrade: Repair and Recharge
Now the new standard borg, this module merges the dull janitor and useless botany modules and essentially makes it's tools with a wider range of uses. Imagine the civbot as brobots older, more responsible brother.

~New tools~
Omnitool: The Swiss army knife of tools. Clicking in-hand will switch between screwdriver, wrench, crowbar, wire-cutters and a multitool. Changing between tools burns a minor amount of battery. 
Unilzyer
Internal Oven: Essentially a transportable oven. Click food items to put in oven and click in-hand to open the oven menu. Will automatically dispense the food. Burns some battery in doing so.
Storage tank: Merges the bucket and watering can, this storage tank is just one big empty beaker of 150 units.
Heavy Chainsaw: A more hefty chainsaw, works better at removing plants, but is also more reseliant (i.e: wont break as easy) at tearing meatbag flesh. Wastes a bit of battery in using it.
Large Satchel: Scoops up produce, but also can scoop up scrap, giving it a general purpose.

~Full list of tools~
PDA
Cleaner bottle 
Mop 
Unilyzer
Welder
Fire extinguisher
Omnitool
Plant analyzer 
Internal Oven 
Portable seed fabricator
Storage tank 
Compost bag 
Heavy chainsaw 
Satchel

~Medbot~
Starting upgrade: Health scanner
A powerful module, already with a bunch of handy tools, not much was needed other than a few ideas and tweaks.

~New tools~
Unilyzer
Surgical Lazer: Scalpel and Circular saw in one, clicking in-hand to switch, doing so wastes a bit of battery.
Post-incendiary dermal repair appliance: No more spamming burn patches, this now runs off your battery too.
Tissue reapplication appliance: Ditto.
Deluxe Hypospray x2: To balance out now infinipatches require battery, borgs are now equipped with x2 60 unit hyposprays. Go wild.

~Full list of tools~
Unilyzer
PDA
Multitool
Screwdriver
Fire Extinguisher
Flashlight
Crowbar
Wrench
Defibrillator 
Lazer pen 
Hemostat 
Suture 
Blood pack 
Post-incendary dermal repair biop 
Tissue reapplication stamp 
Syringe x2 
Large Hypospray x2
Dropper 
Epinephrine reserve tank 
Styptic reserve tank 
Silver sulfadiazine reserve tank 
Anti-Toxin reserve tank

~ENGIBOT~
Starting upgrade: Propulsion
Merges construction and engineering, the latter a lackluster version of the former. 

~New items~
Unilyzer
Omnitool
High-capacity fire extinguisher: Says the name on the tin.

~Full list of tools~
PDA
Cell cables
Atmospherics transporter 
High-capacity fire extinguisher 
Omni-tool
Welder
Unilyser
T-ray scanner 
Cable coil 
Device analyzer 
Soldering iron
Rapid construction device 
Floor tiles 
Metal rods 
Metal sheets 
Glass sheets

~Minebot~
Starting upgrade: Meson + Propulsion
Minebot has unique tools that makes it useful outside of mining and extremely useful when mining. Starts with meson as standard.

~New items~
Omnitool
Internal reclaimer - Extremely useful, you can now drag and drop shit to this (or perhaps by dragging to yourself) to reclaim ores on the fly.
Crate storage - Similar to the atmos transporter, but with crates. Multitude of uses with this one. The more nefarious, such as stealing meatbags, would have to be balanced out with the resisting/moving about mechanism, doing so busts out of the crate eventually (and such out of the borg)
Power Hammer - *BISH*

~Full list of items~
PDA
Flashlight
Laser drill 
Cargo transporter 
Geological scanner 
Ore scoop 
Heavy mining satchel
Space GPS
Fire extinguisher
Welder
Omnitool 
Internal Reclaimer 
Crate Storage

~Chembot~
Starting upgrade: Spectroscopic goggles-
Not much is needed for the humble chembot, it's a niche role so the only way to make it better would be to help those fulfill that niche.

~New tools~
Unilyzer
Acetone/Ammonia/Phenol/Acid/Oil/Diethylmine reserve tank: Now is supplied with a bunch of primers to make it's job a fair bit easier, but also can resupply chemistry if needs be.

~Full list of items~
Unilyzer
PDA
Screwdriver
Welder
Wrench
Crowbar
Flashlight
Mini-ChemMaster 
Syringe x2
Dropper
Mechanical dropper
Large beaker x3 
Drinking glass 
Fire extinguisher
Acetone Reserve tank
Ammonia Reserve tank
Phenol Reserve tank
Acid Reserve tank
Oil Reserve tank
Diethylmine reserve tank

~Secbot~
Starting upgrade: Recovery upgrade
The new module in town, the secbot is aimed at assisting security, rather than outright being an officer itself. The sprite would not need to be that much different, i'm imagining one with a badge, tie and cig in mouth.

~New tools~
Police radio: Tunes into sec radio, when held. Clicking in-hand will turn on the mic, allowing the borg to be heard.
Autosiren: Click-inhand. WEE WOO
E-cig: Did you know borgs get passive stun resistance from having a cig in their mouth when worn as clothing? The e-cig does this while held. Clicking in-hand will blow smoke.
Forensic scanner
High powered flashlight: Replaces the normally powered one.
Cable ties: Not really useful on your own but works if you're helping an officer. They're weaker than the buddys cable ties, as they can be resisted out of fairly easily.
Wifflebat: The cardboard tubes slightly more useful cousin, does no damage but rolls a chance of disarming the target. 
Ticketing tool: Click inhand to open up a window for ticketing and fining. 
Tape Recorder: Has limited recording space that must be deleted if to re-use when full, use wisely.
Omnitool
Unilyzer

~Full list of tools~
Police Radio
PDA
Autosiren
E-cig
Unilyser
Omnitool
Welder
Forensic scanner
Camera moniter
Zippo Lighter
Cable ties
Wifflebat
High powered flashlight
Fire extinguisher
is there some module tool limit going on that we're trying to skirt around

people hate the idea of dump ass security borgs almost always

merge chembot and medibot

merge civbot and brobot

give medibot a way to actually put organs and limbs in/on people so they can actually function as a surgeon. and a way to put people in cloning scanner.

minebot feels lackluster. give it uh... a way to recharge itself off a pod engine's power supply. now it can live long range explorer/search and rescue borg
There's a practical limit on module tools I reckon because if you've got too many it'll be hard to switch between them in reasonable time.
I think medborg patches already use up electricity per application as it is.

Minebot should get a power hammer to crack open geodes.

I think the secborg should get a bottle of luminol and one of those hand-held inmate status processing devices (Secur-o-tron 5000?). It should also be able to *monologue, but with borg-exclusive monologue strings.

Other than that, this idea is positively glorious and is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

If my coding skills are up to the challenge, I will definitely try to make a patch for all of this.
(06-05-2016, 01:36 PM)Dabir Wrote: There's a practical limit on module tools I reckon because if you've got too many it'll be hard to switch between them in reasonable time.
^ This
Having omni-things allows borgs to have many items on their active item bars, increasing efficiency, with a small tax on battery.

(06-05-2016, 01:27 PM)misto Wrote: merge chembot and medibot

merge civbot and brobot

give medibot a way to actually put organs and limbs in/on people so they can actually function as a surgeon. and a way to put people in cloning scanner.
I feel if we merge the modules any further it'd obscure the roles and make them a bit overpowered.
The medibot thing I feel could be fixed by drag+drop

Quote:I think medborg patches already use up electricity per application as it is.

Minebot should get a power hammer to crack open geodes.

I think the secborg should get a bottle of luminol and one of those hand-held inmate status processing devices (Secur-o-tron 5000?). It should also be able to *monologue, but with borg-exclusive monologue strings.

Other than that, this idea is positively glorious and is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

If my coding skills are up to the challenge, I will definitely try to make a patch for all of this.
Hmm I had a feeling I was missing something on with power usage. If that's the case then all that would be needed to be done would be to increase the electricity to a noticeable drain.
And yes to all of that other stuff.
As far as the coding goes, I would imagine it'd be easy enough to code the omni-tools, but stuff like the transportable oven/reclaimer would be a bit on the needing-alot-of-testing side of things.
i like all of these

maybe turn the secborg into a detective borg that can just help solve crimes instead
The Secborg lacks a means of printing out reams of tickets? AN OUTRAGE I TELL YOU Cripes
Other suggestions for a secborg
-tape recorder for taking statements and evidence gathering
-camera for mugshots and evidence gathering
-security camera monitor

Plus their pda should work like a sec pda
(06-05-2016, 01:36 PM)Dabir Wrote: There's a practical limit on module tools I reckon because if you've got too many it'll be hard to switch between them in reasonable time.

perhaps there could be a better system for switching between preferred tools rapidly, such as a nice big tool menu that pops up in a few lines along the bottom, just above the rest of the ui, rather than the current small side-menu that must be scrolled thru with the arrow buttons
(06-07-2016, 09:25 AM)misto Wrote: perhaps there could be a better system for switching between preferred tools rapidly, such as a nice big tool menu that pops up in a few lines along the bottom, just above the rest of the ui, rather than the current small side-menu that must be scrolled thru with the arrow buttons

There actually is a good system for swapping tools currently, if you click a tool in your module inventory while having a filled tool slot selected, you'll now automatically swap the two items.
(06-07-2016, 09:28 AM)Grifflez Wrote:
(06-07-2016, 09:25 AM)misto Wrote: perhaps there could be a better system for switching between preferred tools rapidly, such as a nice big tool menu that pops up in a few lines along the bottom, just above the rest of the ui, rather than the current small side-menu that must be scrolled thru with the arrow buttons

There actually is a good system for swapping tools currently, if you click a tool in your module inventory while having a filled tool slot selected, you'll now automatically swap the two items.
yes i kno. it's scrolling up and down the backpack-sized inventory menu hunting for the right tool that really takes up any amount of time

also why is the medibot equipped with styptic and silver sulf reserve tanks when those medicines are not meant to be injected

it would be a lot nicer if they just had 2 hyposprays full of infinite epinephrine and infinite antitox rather than needing to select the reserves and a hypo and fill it every time
(06-07-2016, 10:41 AM)misto Wrote: also why is the medibot equipped with styptic and silver sulf reserve tanks when those medicines are not meant to be injected

to splash on people
(06-07-2016, 10:41 AM)misto Wrote: it would be a lot nicer if they just had 2 hyposprays full of infinite epinephrine and infinite antitox rather than needing to select the reserves and a hypo and fill it every time

I think that'd be a tad overpowered.

Epinephrine overdoses are crippling.

Hyposprays are instant too, so rogue mediborgs would now have a weapon that's actually more effective at disabling people than old style custom patches (and a lot less fun, to boot.)
Secborg should have a fedora.
Otherwise I like all of the suggestions. And yes I think the borg should be able to print out stupid tickets and citations, because it would make silly AI laws even more silly.

JOE SCHMO HAS BEEN CITED FOR WEARING SHOES IN A NO SHOE ZONE.
(06-07-2016, 10:41 AM)misto Wrote: perhaps there could be a better system for switching between preferred tools rapidly, such as a nice big tool menu that pops up in a few lines along the bottom, just above the rest of the ui, rather than the current small side-menu that must be scrolled thru with the arrow buttons

The whole idea of having multiple tools is to literally not need to search for them in the borg bagpack, while giving tax on battery. If you're looking for a better system, there's one. The reason I want borgs to rely on battery is because there's literally only 2-3 things that REALLY drains battery, some of the upgrades such as speed/propulsion + the RCD. Personally material code with regards batteries could have a look at, seen as many "fuel" sources don't actually create a functional battery (nooooaah)

Also I've added to the OP based on feedback:
+Power hammer to mining borg
+Ticketing machine to sec borg. I feel it needs a ticketing machine as if a borg's PDA is targeted, unlike security it has no way of getting another.
+Tape recorder to sec borg.

(06-06-2016, 02:49 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Other suggestions for a secborg
-tape recorder for taking statements and evidence gathering
-camera for mugshots and evidence gathering
-security camera monitor

Plus their pda should work like a sec pda

Added those (camera moniter was already there though). No on the camera though, as there'd be no functional way of replacing film that I can't see being balanced properly that either will end in a borg not using it at all, or littering the station with 5000 pictures.