Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rebalance Robotic Modules + tools
How about just making materials an all-or-nothing thing, instead of fussing around with custom material limbs and such? Add a 'material processor/plating' function to the cyborg docking station and allow people to stick material bars inside it. Then when you have a fully completed borg, you just stick X gold/telecrystal/etc. bars into the station, shove the borg in, press the 'plate' button and out pops a gold/telecrystal/etc. borg. I'm no coder, but that seems a lot simpler than messing with specific material limbs.

Also I'd rather people work with fleshing out the current material system rather than waiting for further updates because materials is pretty much perpetually in a state of half-completion and will almost certainly never progress past this state.
i just really want golden cyborgs

or pizza cyborgs

or even golden pizza cyborgs
I mean hell isn't it already possible to make a 'gold borg' because a borg is a singular entity you can apply a material datum to
That's a relatively simple process with admin magic, at least

Anyway yeah I would really just prefer the borg tweaks and additions get added without worrying about materials, because materials always gets these huge injections of work and then suddenly tapers off at about 10 usable items to build and also we still don't know the instrument recipes!!
I wonder if salvaging the separate parts of this would still trigger the curse.
(02-24-2017, 07:14 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I wonder if salvaging the separate parts of this would still trigger the curse.

Try, for science
Probably best to remove the materials angle and work that in as a other patch encompassing materials as a whole.

I'm always on board to contribute if anything needs doing. Let me know
Give cyborgs tools and make them Cool, Good, Useful
Brobocop and his cheese sandwich grenade MUST SEE THE LIGHT

But don't bother with the materials stuff as I said, just do the tools
The tools are like 80-90% done iirc? Like you implemented huge swathes of them Noah

EDIT: Hey remember when we were talking about the most neglected role on the station and we picked HoP over Cyborg??
The HoP has the id implants now so technically he's even in better straits in terms of updates than borgs are
Borgs should be sacrificing hands and freedom for a good set of tools and tougher body. Currently, the only thing they get is a stronger body, and even that's not really true for a roundstart borg.

Most of the current borg modules can be outperformed by any human doing the same job, the biggest example being medical. I'd say the biggest priority for borgs is making it so the modules don't suck arse, followed by making the interface less clunky to navigate.

A borg should be as good as, if not better, as a human at performing their chosen role. I'd argue they should be better, given all the other limitations that borgs have.
(02-24-2017, 02:08 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: Borgs should be sacrificing hands and freedom for a good set of tools and tougher body. Currently, the only thing they get is a stronger body, and even that's not really true for a roundstart borg.

Most of the current borg modules can be outperformed by any human doing the same job, the biggest example being medical. I'd say the biggest priority for borgs is making it so the modules don't suck arse, followed by making the interface less clunky to navigate.

A borg should be as good as, if not better, as a human at performing their chosen role. I'd argue they should be better, given all the other limitations that borgs have.

All the above is the exact motivations for me creating this thread.
random suggestion, let borgs swap bodies with an active shell at docking stations
(02-24-2017, 02:21 PM)Sundance Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 02:08 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: Borgs should be sacrificing hands and freedom for a good set of tools and tougher body. Currently, the only thing they get is a stronger body, and even that's not really true for a roundstart borg.

All the above is the exact motivations for me creating this thread.

yeah exactly
there's little reason to play a borg atm, make the modules not poop, then make the interface better
the issue is, as said, a borg is usually OUTCLASSED by their respective jobs, and they aren't jack of all trades either because they're locked into a role once they pick it, sometimes a worse one than a human

tl;dr: I think the community has had a while to look at and wholeheartedly support the module changes
Just merge those, don't fuck with materials, and DON'T add anything to the map because you can't map easily Noah and borg workbenches aren't a thing presumably this way!! dang!!!!

edit: also yeah roundstart borgs are light borgs, so basically ATM they're almost 100% worse than humans except in mayyyybe construction? and then drones outclass them THERE

edit2: besides noah, you said you were almost done in like october, you were saving the materials & mapping last which means a lot of it must be still usable code? (also because borgs have barely been changed at all since then anyway)

EDIT 3 I PROMISE THIS IS THE LAST ONE: hydroponics janitor civilian cook borgs are a+ in my book
borgs are supposed to be a little less beneficial than humans in function but more in everything else
they don't need air, they can't melt or be frozen and its much easier to heal them.

although!!!! I do agree with roundstart borgs needing a slight buff!
(02-24-2017, 09:29 AM)Sundance Wrote: Probably best to remove the materials angle and work that in as a other patch encompassing materials as a whole.

I'm always on board to contribute if anything needs doing. Let me know

to be honest if materials is not incorporated in the beginning it will never be incorporated
(02-24-2017, 10:43 PM)somepotato Wrote: although!!!! I do agree with roundstart borgs needing a slight buff!

Make them standard borgs with 10k cells.
somepotato Wrote:borgs are supposed to be a little less beneficial than humans in function but more in everything else
they don't need air, they can't melt or be frozen and its much easier to heal them.

although!!!! I do agree with roundstart borgs needing a slight buff! 

I'm not entirely sure I see where you're coming from.
This patch addresses the modules and nothing else really. The modules needed streamlining, to reduce bloat and to make borgs more adept at their restricted job, while amalgamating useless modules that are literally never chosen.

Nothing changes really other than this. Yes they can withstand elements that humans can't. But they also lack hands so they cannot adapt like humans. This is the crux of the change: if you can't adapt, then make them adept. 

zewaka Wrote:to be honest if materials is not incorporated in the beginning it will never be incorporated

A delicate game of "would you rather"