Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making round start borgs have standard shells.
I feel like the light shells for round start borgs is a discouraging factor to not play as a borg and it makes them overall far much weaker, and if cloning doesn't ever get messed up, round start borgs may be the only borgs of the round for roboticist objectives and with them so weak they are vulnerable to being destroyed with a few fire extinguisher hits. Antags can pretty easily mess up round start borgs with their weaponry almost instantly and very early on into the round and not many people care to get the borg's head and re-make the borg so it's a bit disabling and most of the time knocks a player completely out of the round.

Maybe making the round start borgs not have light shells but instead the standard shells would be a bit better for solving this issue, otherwise it seems a bit unfair to give players that wish to spawn as round start borgs no choice and forcing them into a really weak shell.
Typically, I solve this in-game by asking the roboticist to make a better shell for me and pop my brain into it.
light shells are fine and in my opinion superior due to their speed and slightly smaller sprite. whoevers been balancing robotics made it so light shells move at warp speed but are made out of wet tissue paper while regular borgs are tough but so goddamn slow. and heavy borgs are so laughably bad i won't mention those
(12-28-2017, 07:43 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: light shells are fine and in my opinion superior due to their speed and slightly smaller sprite. whoevers been balancing robotics made it so light shells move at warp speed but are made out of wet tissue paper while regular borgs are tough but so goddamn slow. and heavy borgs are so laughably bad i won't mention those

yeah there should be a speed shift
(12-28-2017, 07:41 PM)Mordent Wrote: Typically, I solve this in-game by asking the roboticist to make a better shell for me and pop my brain into it.

You know, I think this thread gives me a whole new idea about how borg frames work

What if there was a prefabricated frame that was the default for borgs. It was weak, but all you would need to do to construct a functioning borg was build that and insert a brain

Then all the limbs and other pieces just snapped right onto it, providing additional armor and functionally. Remove parts by aiming on the doll and using a wrench. Screwdriver takes out pieces like modules and brains.

You could create more borg arm/leg/head/chest variations and make limb swapping as meaningful as module changing

Overall not too dissimilar to how borgs already function, but it saves a couple of steps in construction and deconstruction, and avoids the popup menu involved in robot construction
yeah personally i stick with a light borg all shift. if asked, i always pick light. standard and heavy are so damn slow in comparison. why be tough when you can outrun all injury
(12-28-2017, 10:37 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: yeah personally i stick with a light borg all shift. if asked, i always pick light. standard and heavy are so damn slow in comparison. why be tough when you can outrun all injury
Why not give the borg shells more purpose.

For instance keeping in mind that heavy shells are heavier, being hit by a heavy borg who swings a fire extinguisher or mining pick at you should hurt more.

Plus it should be much easier for them to do heavy mechanical tasks. Give a mining borg a heavy shell and they can now plow right through asteroids because they have more power when they swing a pickaxe or whatever.

Heavy borgs are bulldozers and light borgs are scooters.
(12-28-2017, 10:37 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: yeah personally i stick with a light borg all shift. if asked, i always pick light. standard and heavy are so damn slow in comparison. why be tough when you can outrun all injury

It's the same issue that's existed with armor for a while now. You're better off just sprinting around in a jumpsuit evading and outrunning everything.