Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI Camera change:
Make it subtly visible that the AI (or anyone with a camera monitor) is using a specific camera. Turn that bottom Greenish pixel on the end of the camera a soft red.
While I want to say no, this would turn out exactly as it does with the pixel that indicates that the disposal has stuff in it: The vast majority of people wouldn't notice, but a small, few crafty people would and could take advantage of it.

That, or people would just know to check for the pixel before they go on a camera cutting spree.
This would make it too obvious what the AI is up to
(06-02-2016, 03:39 PM)frod Wrote: Make it subtly visible that the AI (or anyone with a camera monitor) is using a specific camera. Turn that bottom Greenish pixel on the end of the camera a soft red.

You mean the on/off llight that already turns red when you cut the connection with wircutters?
In addition, how about a low chance for a subtle message to be played as well, also if someone is using a camera monitor.

The camera slowly swivels and points at you.
How about giving the option for the AI to *wink out of the camera they are currently viewing through?
Anyone can view the cams, right? So long as *any*one viewing a cam results in something, I *might* be persuaded to support it.
(06-02-2016, 03:54 PM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: Anyone can view the cams, right? So long as *any*one viewing a cam results in something, I *might* be persuaded to support it.

Yep. there's a bunch of camera monitors around.
Scenario 1:

AI: *skimming through cameras*

Paranoid jerk: "AI STOP WATCHING ME LAW 2!"

AI: "Ugh, fine." *skims over genetics by accident a couple of minutes later*

Paranoid jerk: "AI ROGUE KILLSWITCH HE!"

The AI is promptly unable to get anything done for the rest of the round due to the random assistant hordes beelining for the door, realising the AI isn't rogue, then uploading random meme laws anyway because they're in there.

Scenario 2:

Telescientist: *skimming through cameras*

Paranoid jerk: "AI STOP WATCHING ME LAW 2!"

AI: "What? I'm not!"

Paranoid jerk: "AI ROGUE KILLSWITCH HE!"

See Scenario 1.

Basically, even as someone who enjoys playing AI more often than not, the job is a soul-crushing slog where literally any proactive action is frowned upon by the crew (and several admins on more than one occasion). Being able to look at things without people catching on is the one thing the AI has going for it, please don't take that away from it. There doesn't need to be any more reasons for the AI to be solely the domain of players who forgot to take it off unwanted and promptly go braindead.

Yes, the cameras would display the light whenever anyone is looking through them, but on most rounds the only person who would bother is the AI, and even on the rare occasions when it isn't the AI would still be blamed anyway, and when people go on a camera-cutting rampage in response the AI is the one that's hit hardest because without the cameras it's effectively blinded, it has no way of restoring them on its own, and even the most well-meaning crewmembers rarely restore cameras for them.

And yes, the only people who would notice are the most observant crewmembers. This is also the subset of crew most likely to load up on insulated gloves and a full toolbox, then run around cutting cameras on the barest of pretexts because a round isn't fun unless they're messing up someone else's.
(06-02-2016, 03:50 PM)Arborinus Wrote: In addition, how about a low chance for a subtle message to be played as well, also if someone is using a camera monitor.

The camera slowly swivels and points at you.

this would be cool for when somebody examines u thru a camera, rather than someone just looking around the room thru one
A pretty solid no from me. We already have wirecutters. If you're doing something you shouldn't then snip a camera or two. No need to make AI an even MORE undesirable a position.

People wanting this probably thinks this allows them to be more sneaky, but not really. An AI spends most of it's time looking for interesting things to watch. With no delay between camera switching you'll still be caught in the act.

What you probably don't realize is how often an AI is already watching you while you're doing bad things, but just isn't reporting it. Most AI's aren't going to report every little murder you do, but if it can be seen that they're watching, they might just have to.

Ironically, this would probably result in even less privacy in your actions.
I also dislike this idea as a frequent AI player. If you want the AI to stop watching you, cut the camera or just order it to look at something else.
(06-02-2016, 11:57 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: A pretty solid no from me. We already have wirecutters. If you're doing something you shouldn't then snip a camera or two. No need to make AI an even MORE undesirable a position.

People wanting this probably thinks this allows them to be more sneaky, but not really. An AI spends most of it's time looking for interesting things to watch. With no delay between camera switching you'll still be caught in the act.

What you probably don't realize is how often an AI is already watching you while you're doing bad things, but just isn't reporting it. Most AI's aren't going to report every little murder you do, but if it can be seen that they're watching, they might just have to.

Ironically, this would probably result in even less privacy in your actions.

Yeah, when I play AI I always choose the name PANOPTICON, and spend most of my time watching suspicious people without reporting them until they've actually started killing people.

Sometimes I like to PDA message people doing something shady just to give em a spook.
(06-03-2016, 01:48 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Sometimes I like to PDA message people doing something shady just to give em a spook.
I used to do this, but then stopped because a traitor uploading a suicide law calling me a fun-hating supercop AI for PDA messaging them with "I saw you ordering illegal contraband. While I am not planning to report you, please be more subtle in the future."
(06-03-2016, 01:48 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Sometimes I like to PDA message people doing something shady just to give em a spook.
I find that early in the round a PDA message to sec is often a nice and subtle way of dealing with contraband. Half the time sec will have the PDA's turned off or just not react leaving the traitor to have fun with the round and keeping would-be vigilantes out of the loop. If they decide to scream for bolting the traitor down and reporting their position it's out of your hands as AI.

On topic: What I could see is maybe when the AI has been following someone for a certain amount of time (say 1 minute) that they then get the subtle message about the cameras seeming to follow them. If so this message should also be added to any paranoia effects from diseases and the like.

Apart from that I don't see much point, getting caught by the AI because you don't hide is your own fault. The AI going supercop because of a single traitor item or normal department going-ons is also stupid. Maybe the AI could use some clearer general code of conduct on the wiki page.