Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disarming Mechanics & Targeted Disarms
There has been a bit of talk in the SA thread about how with the large amount of staff asssitants Sec is regularly getting swarmed. I've been thinking about the disarm mechanic and how being able to push someone down is a little overpowered sometimes. I was kicking around a few ideas of how it can be changed to still be useful but takes a bit more skill, or add some danger to the person who attempts the disarm.

First off I feel if you want to remove something from somebody's hand it has to be specifically and correctly targeted. The Left or right arm must be targeted, takes a bit more thinking to remove the stun baton from a bumbling guard's hand but it can still be done, just look to see which hand he's holding it in rather than just coming in hot and chest-disarming him and hoping for the best.

The chest-disarm pushes people down right now and disarms both hands. If you have a laser gun, are a wizard, or something similar this can be a death sentence. I propose instead of pushing someone down they get tackled, which results in both the person who disarms and the person who were targeted fall to the ground on the same tile, and it is a 50/50 chance when both get up at the same time to grab whatever item was dropped. Perhaps add a mechanic to whoever has lower health takes slightly longer to get up, or maybe to be tackled at all the person who tackles you must be higher health than you, otherwise it fails every time.

Another way of nerfing the chest-disarm could be to make a failed attempt at pushing someone down throws up a red-text message informing of the attempted disarm, yet upon failure the person who attempted it falls to the ground instead, by slipping, stumbling, missing, etc.

And just for fun, you could disarm other things with targeted disarms:

Targeting the eyes could do an eye-poke (think like the three stooges) which gives the victim a very brief one or two second drunk-vision overlay. Wearing glasses negates this.

Or perhaps instead of the eye poke you could disarm someone's glasses right off their face. I'd restrict this to 'fun' glasses types, making things like Thermals or Menson Scanners impervious to it, but a monocle or sunglasses are fair game.

A mouth-disarm will remove a mask, which would not apply if someone has their internals set up, or maybe again just restrict it to fun masks like a george melons mask, or a traitor 'stache, yet a gas mask is impervious to it. Alternatively if they aren't wearing a mask at all a mouth-disarm could disrupt their speech somehow (throat judo-chop?) for a couple seconds.

A head-disarm to remove a fun-type hat, but useful things like sec helmets, space helmets, welding masks would be impervious. On the other hand though I can imagine assistants swarming the captain or HoS for their mostly useless hats so this may not be that great of an idea.

Not really sure if much use could come from groin or leg disarms, I don't think anybody should be able to quickly remove a belt-item or stuff out of your pockets, or be able to rip someone's shoes off on the fly.
no no no no NO NONO NO NO

Look disarms are currently the only thing stopping people being invincible death machines the second they pick up a baton or a laser. It doesn't need to be more complicated; if you start nerfing and over-complicating the only consistant way to level a playing field with a guy who has an advantage, then what's the point in fighting at all?
I do like the idea of actually targetting the hand you want to disarm, even if just to give the target intent more of a purpose.
If security oficers are too fucking retarded to fend off some assistants when they have, a stun baton, tasers, flashes, handcuffs, flashbangs, and a brig, then they deserve to be thrown out into a hallway naked and with nothing.

The only thing I suggest is add a floor flusher to the brig, and for goodness sake just adminhelp and report the people starting a shitty assistant revolution.
Weavel Wrote:no no no no NO NONO NO NO

Look disarms are currently the only thing stopping people being invincible death machines the second they pick up a baton or a laser. It doesn't need to be more complicated; if you start nerfing and over-complicating the only consistant way to level a playing field with a guy who has an advantage, then what's the point in fighting at all?

Aren't antagonist roles supposed to not be level, given how they're outnumbered 15-to-1?

I'd hardly call a push-down contest any kind of fighting, which is what fighting is on Gibbed. Change the mechanic to where one-on-one you don't have such a deadly ace in the hole, yet if you bring more than one crew the traitor is still most assuredly screwed. Sadly many people aren't so social and incapable of organizing I suppose.

Do you not find it cheap that some random naked person could just as easily one-click screw over a traitor almost as effectively as a security guard with a stun baton? If anything holding a weapon with the current mechanic is a total disadvantage because a push-down briefly incapacitates somebody and gives you the weapon they were holding, if your quick enough you can use it against them before they even get up.
Willfrey Wrote:Do you not find it cheap that some random naked person could just as easily one-click screw over a traitor almost as effectively as a security guard with a stun baton? If anything holding a weapon with the current mechanic is a total disadvantage because a push-down briefly incapacitates somebody and gives you the weapon they were holding, if your quick enough you can use it against them before they even get up.

If a heavily armed traitor cannot subdue a naked guy, then they really deserve to die a very embarassing death
Maybe it could be cool if someone could do targeted disarms, e.g disarm someone's leg to trip or leg sweep them, Disarm a hand to remove an item, keep the chess selected to nudge them, or very rarely push them down.
Disarms can really turn the tide in a fight. I laughed my ass off when a cluwne took my bball and used a chaos dunk. It is great when unexpected.
Weavel Wrote:no no no no NO NONO NO NO

FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:
Willfrey Wrote:Do you not find it cheap that some random naked person could just as easily one-click screw over a traitor almost as effectively as a security guard with a stun baton? If anything holding a weapon with the current mechanic is a total disadvantage because a push-down briefly incapacitates somebody and gives you the weapon they were holding, if your quick enough you can use it against them before they even get up.

If a heavily armed traitor cannot subdue a naked guy, then they really deserve to die a very embarassing death

Point taken, I suppose I've always felt a bit cheap using disarm myself (especially on wizards).
I blame lag a lot for the problem that occur in battles, like people dodging shots that should hit them, or people grabbing items they did not really grab because you were already clicking on it.
the tackle idea is a bit drastic, but it be a nice slight change to dynamics-- a single dude trying to tackle a guy with a laser probably won't accomplish much, but if there's at least 1 other person helping the vigilante then the person who gets knocked down is toast. so folks who work together could take down a maniac.
what if disarming could put people into tie-ups?

Pubbie Mcgriff fires a laser through the hall!

Robust McMaen, "Don't worry guys, me and Macho maen will save you!"

Macho Maen, "Yeah!"

Robust McMaen enters a tie-up with Pubbie Mcgriff!

At this point, neither pubbie nor robust are able to use either hands or move. However, if Macho Maen decides to leave in favor of eating Discount Dans, Pubbie (being the original person with the laser) gets the gun back while Robust ends up stunned for a few seconds.

On the other hand, if Macho Maen decides to help out, he could go and try to knock out Pubbie while he's tied up with Robust, allowing for a team victory over the griffer!
enforcer9 Wrote:what if disarming could put people into tie-ups?

Pubbie Mcgriff fires a laser through the hall!

Robust McMaen, "Don't worry guys, me and Macho maen will save you!"

Macho Maen, "Yeah!"

Robust McMaen enters a tie-up with Pubbie Mcgriff!

At this point, neither pubbie nor robust are able to use either hands or move. However, if Macho Maen decides to leave in favor of eating Discount Dans, Pubbie (being the original person with the laser) gets the gun back while Robust ends up stunned for a few seconds.

On the other hand, if Macho Maen decides to help out, he could go and try to knock out Pubbie while he's tied up with Robust, allowing for a team victory over the griffer!

So like, aside from disarming and pushing down, there's a chance you could struggle with the person holding the gun?
I like this idea alot.

So an Assistant can get a security officer into a tie up while a bunch of other assistant surround him and murder him while he cant move or fight back?

No!!!!
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:

So an Assistant can get a security officer into a tie up while a bunch of other assistant surround him and murder him while he cant move or fight back?

No!!!!
Doesn't seem much worse than a gang of assistants shoving an officer down repeatedly.