Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Allow People to re-enter the arrivals shuttle
I can't count the number of times i've walked off the shuttle one way to find a gaping deadly maw and had to run back through the arrivals shuttle to the other side to get in a pod or fetch a crowbar.
Agreed. If this is to prevent spawn-killing then this is a lame way to go about it. Please don't add invisible walls to my space station.
Likewise. When I'm on that side of the station, or need a fire extinguisher/gas mask/crowbar/first aid kit, I used to go get one off the Arrivals shuttle. Now I can't.
You can now re-enter it 60s after leaving it, or given one chance to be on it if you're not a latejoiner. The latter might change, not necessarily a fan of people going and taking things that latejoiners might need to get out.
TBH I understand the intent behind this, but it just seems to me like it breaks immersion to be told you're not allowed to walk back into the arrivals shuttle.

A boarding area that lets you enter the shuttle and then ride the shuttle to the station would make more sense, plus you could have some shuttle ride banter. Especially since Destiny already has a similar idea with the teleporters.

If you want to protect late joiners, why not port the destiny teleporters into cogmap 2. (or a minute long ride into the station from an arrivals area could be pretty dope, one of the higher RP stations has something like this I think)

Not being able to enter part of the station after you leave it kinda sucks IMO.

I suppose the only problem with a shuttle ride would be that someone's bound to go brain dead on it, meaning they'd need to be teleported off the arrivals shuttle to prevent camping, which as luck has it was already doable with the merchant shuttles.
so you cant get onto the arrivals shuttle itself to harm late joiners, no big deal. just make the arrivals hallways/maint just outside it into your killzone and camp it and youve got an identical effect.

if you spawned them or teleported them into the various bedrooms/break rooms/hobo camps around the station at least antags would have to put a little more effort into blowing up all the various spots
There are so many ways to make the arrivals shuttle uninhabitable without actually entering it that I feel like an actual code-based solution is infeasible. Maybe we should just discourage arrivals shuttle aggression through policy.
(05-27-2016, 08:05 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: There are so many ways to make the arrivals shuttle uninhabitable without actually entering it that I feel like an actual code-based solution is infeasible. Maybe we should just discourage arrivals shuttle aggression through policy.

I'm pretty sure that this is already covered under the "Don't piss off the admins" and "Don't grief" rules IMO fucking the arrivals shuttle and general arrivals area up as an antagonist is a shitty thing to do, especially spawnkilling new arrivals and the such.

The current system works, as there is no reason you would ever need to be on the arrivals shuttle after you arrive, you can re-enter once after arriving if you need to run back in for a crowbar or whatever.

Just my 2 cents.
I personally think the Destiny teleport pads were a good way to handle people arriving, but I don't particularly care that much.
(05-27-2016, 08:24 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: I'm pretty sure that this is already covered under the "Don't piss off the admins" and "Don't grief" rules IMO fucking the arrivals shuttle and general arrivals area up as an antagonist is a shitty thing to do, especially spawnkilling new arrivals and the such.

Yeah, it's already sort of a thing, but it's currently unwritten. Not everyone is aware of it currently. Maybe a formal rule isn't necessary, but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the word out.

(05-27-2016, 08:24 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: The current system works, as there is no reason you would ever need to be on the arrivals shuttle after you arrive, you can re-enter once after arriving if you need to run back in for a crowbar or whatever.

There's medkits on there too.
It's right next to a small security security booth, so it provides a convenient place for officers to heal up after engaging a perp.

I can also see a head of personnel setting up a dumb customs desk inside the shuttle.

Really, what it boils down to is that I feel like this protection system, while effective to a certain extent, is less effective than a relatively simple awareness policy and more intrusive to boot.
I can only recall one instance of all my time playing were someone dicked over late arrivals and that was on mushroom when it was this tiny wing where someone fire-walled it off, but that was outside the shuttle, not inside. He was grilled out of it. There was another time where a ling was grilled out for eating braindeads on the arrivals shuttle, on cogmap 1 but it never really came to anything drastic.

My point in general is there actually ever a problem with people doing bad shit to people the second they arrive anyway, recently? I'm not saying this is kneejerky, i'm curious was this even needed in the first place.
(05-27-2016, 08:24 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: The current system works, as there is no reason you would ever need to be on the arrivals shuttle after you arrive

I mean, the shuttle provides an escape route if you were to be caught in one of the hallways leading to it's doors. I've seen plenty of chases pass through the area before.

I think if the shuttle is officially a no go zone after arriving, maybe the area it's at should be redesigned to further isolate it so there really is no reason to go back there.

Like, give it a long empty hallway, and make the doors connecting the hallway to the station the point of no return
(05-27-2016, 12:05 PM)Sundance Wrote: My point in general is there actually ever a problem with people doing bad shit to people the second they arrive anyway, recently? I'm not saying this is kneejerky, i'm curious was this even needed in the first place.

I have had the displeasure before of joining a round where a blob had spawned himself on the arrivals shuttle.
And of being eaten by a changeling who was camping out in the arrivals shuttle.
And being burned alive in it with all the doors shocked and bolted.

That being said, my most recent shuttle near death/round-ender was actually directly caused by this invisible wall stuff, I spawned as a security officer and all the doors had depowered for various reasons. Cue no crowbar, no way back on the shuttle to get one, trapped forever in an airlock with a staff assistant in a similar bind untill someone came to help. We'd be stuck forever if nobody gave a damn or were all dead or busy.
Just having sanctuary applied to the flagged would be fine. Unless there's coding problems with it.. Leaving the shuttle for a bit would cause you to lose the flag and the protection that comes from entering a sanctuary.

I actually thought that's how arrivals sanctuary worked anyways.

If we're protecting latejoiners, can we delete the firelocks near the shuttle the shuttle? Or get a magical wall locker that never runs out of crowbars? Or a way to open firelocks/depowered doors without a crowbar? That's 90% of my problems with arrivals.
(05-27-2016, 12:05 PM)Sundance Wrote: I can only recall one instance of all my time playing were someone dicked over late arrivals and that was on mushroom when it was this tiny wing where someone fire-walled it off, but that was outside the shuttle, not inside. He was grilled out of it. There was another time where a ling was grilled out for eating braindeads on the arrivals shuttle, on cogmap 1 but it never really came to anything drastic.

My point in general is there actually ever a problem with people doing bad shit to people the second they arrive anyway, recently? I'm not saying this is kneejerky, i'm curious was this even needed in the first place.

i occasionally latejoined to find one or two lingsucked unknowns on the shuttle, and blobs will occasionally block up the arrivals hallways if not blob their way into the shuttle itself