Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey look another "Nerf Fireball" thread
Fireball needs a nerf so freaking badly. It's pretty much a default spell at this point cause everyone uses it. So as it stand fireball blows off some limbs, sets you on fire, stuns/knocks you out and has a short cooldown. It's just too good of a spell and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is sick of seeing wizard after wizard rounds of nothing but fireballs. I remember months ago when coders said that they would nerf it but I guess that never came cause they had to much to do outside of the game.  

I think it's time for yet another discussion on this spell and hopefully one that gets some results.
Honestly, I feel like fireball should be just outright removed.

It's difficult to balance properly, and it's just straight up unfun.
I feel removing the explosion from it should be enough. Stunning someone and setting them on fire would be enough to rack up some damage
(05-23-2016, 03:52 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Honestly, I feel like fireball should be just outright removed.

It's difficult to balance properly, and it's just straight up unfun.
(05-23-2016, 03:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I feel removing the explosion from it should be enough. Stunning someone and setting them on fire would be enough to rack up some damage
What if you kept the explosion but removed the fire?
I feel like current wizard is almost balanced around fireball. It's chosen by everyone because it's the only spell that really easily does damage. All the others need the magic missile to preface or some other item to help.

And only a matter of time before this thread turns into Revamp Wiz Thread V.12
Fireball is the only spell you need. There shouldn't really be a spell like that if it can be helped.

Not sure it should be removed though. We'll just bitch about something else. Nothing else is as bad, but combos like Empower and SoC or Golems and chemnerds can be nasty.
Honestly I would just prefer wizard got reworked, but that's a lot of time and effort. Maybe removing the explosion would work for now.
Just remove the limb loss and post death gib from fireball. Leave gibbing to shocking touch to give it purpose. Make Bull's Rush cause limb loss and bleeding.
(05-23-2016, 04:22 PM)Mageziya Wrote: I feel like current wizard is almost balanced around fireball.

And only a matter of time before this thread turns into Revamp Wiz Thread V.12

It REALLY does and it kills me. Hell I'd take a gimmick/friendly wizard any day cause I am so sick of fireball spam. I'm also fine with that as well but I'd hope it stays towards the fireball topic. Wizard is the gamemode with the most issues currently and fireball is the biggest issue it has right now.

(05-23-2016, 04:39 PM)zewaka Wrote: Honestly I would just prefer wizard got reworked, but that's a lot of time and effort. Maybe removing the explosion would work for now.

Coders in IRC today stated that many have tried and failed to rewrite wizard. I personally think if Nuke Ops can get reworked then any gamemode can. In my opinion reworks start off which balancing which everyone is begging for when it comes to wizard.
(05-23-2016, 04:44 PM)Erev Wrote: Just remove the limb loss and post death gib from fireball. Leave gibbing to shocking touch to give it purpose. Make Bull's Rush cause limb loss and bleeding.

Shocking touch doesn't gib anymore, to my knowledge.
(05-23-2016, 04:39 PM)zewaka Wrote: Honestly I would just prefer wizard got reworked, but that's a lot of time and effort. Maybe removing the explosion would work for now.

You and me both.

If we absolutely have to keep fireball around for now, remove the explosion. Keep the fire and the stun, but remove the explosion.

The most infuriating part about fireball is the ease with which it lets wizards permanently remove people from the round.

Look, back when I used to play a tryhard wizard, I never took shocking grasp because it didn't do anything fireball didn't already do better.

Keep the blatantly offensive explosive use to syndicates and scientists.
Dumb wizard idea: Remove selected spells. Instead, you get Phase Shift, Clairvoyance, Magic Missile and 2 random spells to start your round with. Every time you complete an objective (other than "Stay Alive"), you lose your old random spells and get a new selection of random spells equal to one more the previous number. Doing all three objectives tops you out at 5 spells, randomly selected.
(05-23-2016, 06:38 PM)Grek Wrote: Dumb wizard idea: Remove selected spells. Instead, you get Phase Shift, Clairvoyance, Magic Missile and 2 random spells to start your round with. Every time you complete an objective (other than "Stay Alive"), you lose your old random spells and get a new selection of random spells equal to one more the previous number. Doing all three objectives tops you out at 5 spells, randomly selected.

that sounds hilarious and fun.

I like it.
I particularly like this idea because it encourages planning ("How do I kill Jay Wolff with just Spell Shield and Rathen's Secret?") and on your feet thinking ("I killed Jay Wolff, but Sec is here and now I have Warp, Doppleganger and Animate Dead. How do I escape?")
It has been nerfed by Somepotato. Also, "made SIGNIFICANTLY more reliable, now it won't get stuck in a wall."