Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Station Concept
I've come up with a concept for a new station. It may very well be terrible, but I figured I'd see what people thought of it.

Essentially, what I'm thinking is taking the concept of Outpost Zeta and going way, way overboard with it. Every department has it's own station, connected via a central hub station which has shuttles for every department and also contains Arrivals, Escape and the Head of Personnel's office. Each station has a small public area which everyone has access to, a power room for either furnaces or solars that is accessible by Engineering, and a small Security Office. There would be an Engineering station(with a cross z-level shuttle to Mining), a Research Station, a Medical Station, a Command Station, a Cargo Station, an AI station(containing both the Core and Upload) and a Public Station(For Hydroponics, Bar, Kitchen, Chapel and Assistant stuff, along with Storage areas like EVA and Warehouse). Security would not get its own station, but would have small offices with single cells on every station. Everyone would have access to a small part of each station, and Engineering would have access to power rooms on every station. There would be no shuttles between department stations. To get to another station via shuttle, you would have to pass through the Hub station. Each station would also have its own Pod Hangar, and with the amount of Pod travel that would likely occur with this set up mechanics might even become a job in their own right. They'd fall under Engineering, I suppose, although if Pods were fleshed out more(which they would have to be if anyone even considered this idea) then maybe having a Garage station would be interesting.

This whole concept comes basically from me thinking that there are a number of things which are underutilized because it's easy to just walk to wherever you need to go. The QM cargo router thing doesn't get a whole lot of use because QMs hardly ever actually buy anything for the crew and when they do it's way easier for the crew to just walk there and pick it up. Pods are really fucking cool but it's still easier just to grab a jetpack and use that instead of getting a pod, so part of the concept of this comes from trying to think of a way to make it so that people needed to travel through space enough that not everyone who needed to go through space could have their own suit and jetpack. Power is never a real concern because there's a single central Engine, so as long as it's working everything's fine.

It wouldn't be a station, exactly. More of a network of stations that all kind of rely on the Hub and Engineering stations to keep working. It'd give Engineers a bigger job, since they'd be going around to all the different stations to set up and monitor their engines. Security would have it rough, but that's a positive thing, to me. Pretty much every officer would have his own station to police, and backup would not come fast, if at all. Security, as it is, is kind of a huge obstacle for antagonists, seeing as it consists of several people who are each armed with a weapon capable of ending the antag's run in a single hit and will swarm when threatened. Having Sec be an isolated role who has power but no backup might make it a little less likely to attract dickheads, too, but I wouldn't count on it. Having no Head of Security might be a good idea in this concept, as well. HoS and Detective could kind of be rolled together, as with the station as spread out as it would be both of their jobs would essentially boil down to being Security Officers with no set station to police.

Less station, more space is what I'm thinking, I guess.
My biggest concern would be that the public area of the station would get 0 usage, because nobody would go out of their way to get there.
True. Might be a good idea to roll the Public area into the Hub area, so people would have to pass by it when they were going somewhere important.
Also, I see the HoS' job in such a station being more along the lines of it's original intent. Instead of being a supercop with death guns, he should be the Head of Security. The guy who makes sure shit stays right.
I was just thinking that, with Security being decentralized, the Detective and HoS would essentially have exactly the same job, and if I had to pick one to cut I'd cut HoS.
Dauntasa Wrote:I was just thinking that, with Security being decentralized, the Detective and HoS would essentially have exactly the same job, and if I had to pick one to cut I'd cut HoS.
Honestly, their jobs aren't alike at all. The detective's job is to do the evidence collecting and examining so security can go bust 'em. The HoS makes sure security isn't shit, stepping to the front lines if he needs to in order to get the job done.
It's an intriguing idea, even if it makes no sense practically. But we just had a new station, I don't see this idea happening anytime soon. One problem is that many departments would have to experience some degree of decentralisation for them to make sense, and at some point you must wonder if the departmental stations might as well be completely separate stations...
This makes no sense, whats the point of security if they cannot do jackshit? They'll just get mobbed and spaced by the departments every shift before the other officers get there ten minutes later. If this is implemented then Security should just be removed outright.

I really don't like this concept at all as its making very simple things hard as fuck to do for the sake of adding depth, which it really isn't.
if this becomes a thing teh shuttles would need to go faster when called/sent
*the
I like it, personally. Might make traitoring really iffy. On 1 hand, security would have a hard-ass time intercepting the more robust/sneaky traitors. On the other, they could simply block off the section they think the traitor is in, and take all the time they want in cornering him.

Maybe after we get tired of cogblap we can do this.
I had an idea vaguely like this, where each general category of stuff was in its own "bubble" substation, all connected by airbridges and spacegrates or something. Imagine them in a roughly hexagon shape with the Public Services in the middle
Code:
Tech - - - Command
Plebian -    Public    -Zeta
       Cafe   - - -  Supply
Public Services Bubble: Medical, EVA, Janitor, Security
Plebian Bubble: Arrivals, Customs, Escape, Barbershop/Lounge, Crew Quarters
Cafe Bubble (Possibly outdoor cafe themed, giving the entire thing grass and windows): Owlarium, Hydroponics, Kitchen/Bar/Cafe
Repairs & Technology Bubble: Engineering, Electronics, AI, Teleporter
Supply Bubble: QM, Market, Autolathe, Tool Storage, Mining link, Tech Storage.
Command Bubble: Court, Bridge, Chapel
Zeta Bubble: Research.
I really dislike this idea... It seems needlessly complex
I kind of think if mars/underwater/ice station ever becomes a single server gimmick, it would be kind of cool to have multiple outposts with a specific job, and a series of underground catacombs (sewage/maintenance system, maybe with poo) that would connect them as a slightly more dangerous alternative, where it's significantly easier to get lost if you don't know where to go.

E.g A hub outpost, that connects the fun things with a small security office and a small medical office for minor injuries (e.g boxing related injuries)

A medical research outpost, with research and a fully functional medbay, so that things like diseases can be taken care of more or less. Botany could be rolled into research with some sort of connection to kitchen for food.

A engineering outpost, in charge of power, and also for electricians to work in.

A full prison station, with a small prison and court type setup, and then some individual prison cells.

Escape and travel could either be done by gearing up in a spacesuit and venturing outside, or opting to use the catacombs and hopefully not get too lost. In effect they'd serve as maintenance tunnels but also as a way for people to hide from security, or get into other sorts of trouble. Pods and ships could stay as a method of transport. More dangerous places in the catacombs could be accessible, and walking into the wrong area could get you lost in a catacomb in some other zlevel.
atomic1fire Wrote:maybe with poo.

NO!