Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MAP] Research Outpost
In all seriousness, I don't see this replacing the research department either. It's basically a way better version of the bomb-range VR (which is still lame) that doesn't require the destruction of the diner. It also a mostly bare-bones place some awful mechanics can break in and build horrible contraptions clever spacemen could build nice things.
Here's the updated outpost:

[Image: Pcyk4cx.png]
  • Coffee machine added at the request of Doctor Honkington, gotta get some caffeine when watching hellfoam tests!
  • Sadly no chem dispenser and heater, the station is only a quick hop away and I don't want people to have more of a reason to seclude themselves. As a compromise I did add the chemicompiler that Vitatroll suggested.
  • Back up furnace power (which I hope I did correctly) at the request of zewaka.
  • As pointed out by Noah Buttes and Frank_Stein I have added a second mass driver next to the one to the outpost so you can space bomb/noise makers/unruly assistants. Have fun getting mixed up!
  • A valuchimp and chemicompiler have been added to the test chamber as per Vitatroll's suggestion.
  • Your nuke can get fucked Grifflez.  Sad eng101

Here's a picture of the new mass driver location, and no it doesn't block the medsci sign:

[Image: i4mdfDu.png]

The download link in the post should automatically update.
Maybe put a sign on the wall that marks which mass driver is which, because right now if you'd never seen the driver before, you won't know where they take you until you try. Like, a poster (or better, a post-it note), that says which is which upon examining.
(05-14-2016, 06:10 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Maybe put a sign on the wall that marks which mass driver is which, because right now if you'd never seen the driver before, you won't know where they take you until you try. Like, a poster (or better, a post-it note), that says which is which upon examining.

The door itself is named for the research outpost, and can only be opened by a scientist level I.D. The other is just a glass airlock that anyone can open. Anyways a sign would get rid of any confusion and could prevent accidental spacing. Space OSHA would be appalled. Boogiebot
Add a way to come back to the station if the pods are gone.
seems to lack useful equipment. like all im seeing here really is a surgical table, and a couple other things? maybe this place could be the only spot licensed to receive replacement gas canisters of plasma, o2, etc. that would give it a real unique function! then you can burn it down more easily too, or explode it with canister bombs
(05-14-2016, 09:05 PM)misto Wrote: seems to lack useful equipment. like all im seeing here really is a surgical table, and a couple other things? maybe this place could be the only spot licensed to receive replacement gas canisters of plasma, o2, etc. that would give it a real unique function! then you can burn it down more easily too, or explode it with canister bombs

The function is to get blown up with bombs. The only reason there's stuff in it like the surgery table is because the test chamber station-side has one. Honestly there's more than enough gas canisters on the station to blow it up a couple of times over.
Yeah at it's current incarnation it serves as a perfect place for nerd destruction that goes beyond 'foam it with phlog, thermite, LDM and explosions'. Though it still works for that, mind you. Things like IVs and Chemicomp reactions are a pain to test for various reasons. It would also be good for hellthrower testing.

The last thing I can think of is some safety equipment.  Extinguishers, etc. The other thing would be a couple normal space suits that nobody uses anymore. I would not have suggested this on cog1, but we now have free access (or one hacked door if those are gone) to engineering space suits.
(05-14-2016, 10:23 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Yeah at it's current incarnation it serves as a perfect place for nerd destruction that goes beyond 'foam it with phlog, thermite, LDM and explosions'. Though it still works for that, mind you. Things like IVs and Chemicomp reactions are a pain to test for various reasons. It would also be good for hellthrower testing.

The last thing I can think of is some safety equipment.  Extinguishers, etc. The other thing would be a couple normal space suits that nobody uses anymore. I would not have suggested this on cog1, but we now have free access (or one hacked door if those are gone) to engineering space suits.

Weren't engineering suits originally worse than normal suits?
Their description, "An overly bulky space suit designed mainly for maintenance and mining.", vs the normal suits description, "A suit that protects against low pressure environments.", would seem to suggest that engineering suits were supposed to be slower with the possible tradeoff of being more resistant, yeah.

Not sure when that was changed or lost. I don't think engie suits have any slowdown as they are.
They do not currently have any slowdown, which seems utterly bizarre.
Space used to be extremely hard to access, which was part of the appeal of being as miner and so on back in the day, but now everyone and their mother can access space thanks to pods and the sheer number of goodies found in the debris field.
(05-15-2016, 08:16 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: They do not currently have any slowdown, which seems utterly bizarre.

What's even more bizarre is that it's actually significantly easier to get your hands on an engineering suit than it is to get a normal space suit.
(05-15-2016, 01:20 PM)Camnui Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 08:16 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: They do not currently have any slowdown, which seems utterly bizarre.

What's even more bizarre is that it's actually significantly easier to get your hands on an engineering suit than it is to get a normal space suit.

I should invert the two and add it to my armor patch.
perhaps it could have a nanomed keyed to accept sci ids, in case the testing goes a little too well