HoS Application - Zeronine
Hello gents, here's my application for the HoS role on your crazy servers.

Usual character name(s): Abraham Lincoln, Josiah Willard Gibbs and Jack Swag.
BYOND username: Zeronine
Recommended by: No one that I know of.

Times available:
I'm a student based in Denmark so my times vary quite a bit, some days I'll sink 5 hours into the game, others I'll barely touch it, my lectures are well placed though so I usually play with americans in most games.

Reason for applying:

Well basically it comes down to this; I've been playing SS13 on and off since Donut station now (I still love that damn station for some reason). Slowly working my way through most roles, practically anything but security really. This however changed recently when I felt the overwhelming amount of shitty sec players kinda prodded me into giving it a go, and I quite like it.
When playing with a competent team of other likeminded individuals the RP can be fun, and as long as no one goes on a crazy power trip I'm fairly certain the criminal scumbags we're attempting to chase are having a blast as well. This however, is unfortunately a very rare case scenario.
Most days when I play security there's three possible scenarios:
1. Sec are shit, and as such I feel I need to spend the entirity of the round stopping them from hurting the other players and ruining their fun.

2. Players are shit, (this mostly happens when a bunch of really bored assistants just really want to find a fight and then stage some bullshit gray revolution without a traitor to back it up). In these cases, I've been trapped with an actual really good group of sec members, but none of us were capable of doing jack shit during the round cause 15 players decided they wanted to kill us for being oppresive, before anyone has even left the sec HQ. This situation I usually feel is somewhat mitigated by a proper HoS, as those seem to inspire at least a modicum of respect in the crazies.

3. Both the players and Sec are shit. Boy this is a good one, for the most part when I encounter this I honestly just try to nudge my fellow sec along a bit, and then off I go to do something else potentially ask for a job change cause lets be frank, when all your colleagues are being morons, and half the station wants to kill you as a result, a change of identity isnt bad.

I've seen so many of these things happen and it really bugs me, as a round with a competent and sensible security team seems to just liven up the station so much more, people can commit petty crime without it turning into grief instantaneously, as the sec team will intervene in a calm and somewhat proffesional manner, and the antagonists generally get some more exciting rounds as the station isnt erupted into civil war so they can go about their merry way slaughtering the entirty of it with a chainsaw.

I'd love to play a HoS to be better able to guide my fellow (misguided) security officers, whenever I feel like playing the role. This is an unfortunate side effect of most people not giving a single fuck about some random sec officer, where as the HoS has a seal of approval, and as such is at least not randomly bashed by his colleagues for disagreeing with their abusive ways.

So to sum it up, I really want to make the security team play more respectably, in turn making the station respect the players of the security more, rather than having security as an indirect antagonist every single round that's played.

My experience as security:
I've gotta be honest here, security is probably my least played proffesion, I'm usually into all the science shit as I used to study it myself IRL and I loved the way it's represented in game. Telescience has recently peaked my interest and whenever I dont feel like being an Egghead I jump into the kitchen and play about making some of hte less regular culinary experiences so to speak.

I'm by no means a fantastic robuster, which I'd imagine might be detrimental to my application, but rather state it here than get called out on it if perchance I'm accepted and then booted. That however is also one of the points I'd love to practice more, something I feel I would be in a position to do if I could get a decent sec team up and running, rather than having to flash one assistant after the other while they try to pry stun batons off my downed mates.

I dont ever vigilante as I find it ruins the idea behind the game, however when security are obviously understaffed i like to lend them a hand if necessary, particularly with obstacles they have issues with by default with their equipment (ie. shocked doors, reinforced walls, the potential baking of an asspie and whatnot).

during my playtime over the years I have usually only picked security after I've gauged the current sec team for a few rounds, so I have a clue whether or not it's a lost cause trying to get some teamwork going with them. I've really enjoyed playing with certain HoS' recently, being under their leadership has not only given me a good idea of how to tackle things, it's also helped me see things I would wanna change in case I got the chance, ie. a lack of communication which often happens, also some HoS' are slightly too condescending if you ask me, of course it comes from a lifetime of dealing with shitheads, but still, a slight positive attitude can go a long way when it comes to convincing people to work with ya.

My opinions of the current security layout:

Well, I find the new brig has a lot of less experienced security players end up being trapped instead by a loose prisoner, however the extra pair of doors inbetween usually takes care of that, I do also feel though that the narrow corridor leading to the front entrance of security is quite too easily "sieged", I've had many a round where 5 non traitor assistants were bashing on the windows in hopes of provoking some "police violence" so they could attack us legitimately.

In general though, I like the setup, especially the lockers being excluded from the rest of the main room.

My opinions on Shrek:
I've got two younger siblings, and as a result I've watched all the movies several times, I find them quite amusing in terms of their refferences and their characters, that's about it though.

Previous bans:

All righty, for the record I've been banned twice as far as I remember, both were quite a while ago so the details are slightly fuzzy.

The first one was a month ban, after I blew pathology up on donut station with a plaguespreading bastard still inside it (to be fair, the month ban was probably more because of me being a smart ass to the admin that contacted me about it).

The second time was for "meta-gaming". I was assaulted in the same room as my IRL buddy who I was skyping with, we were both fighting the assailant and when I told the admin we were IRL buddies he changed his opinion and instead of job banning the assailant he banned my buddy and I.
So yeah, Meta-gaming is a big no no, which I've come to appreciate during the last year or so to be honest.

This is all, I hope you dont mind i went a bit Wall of texty, I apologise for eventual typos, English is not my native tongue and it is also 5 am at the time of writing this.

-Zero
I have only seen you play like twice this week, but after reading your application and the fact you seem to know exactly what the problems are is a good thing. I can't vouch for your conduct as a player or Security Officer, but after all of the rounds that alternate between Security and the Crew being awful having more HoSes would be a good thing.
Yeah I can imagine most people don't really have any experience playing with me.

I'm trying to get as many hours in as sec this week as possible, so people can form an opinion.
Also apologies if my replies are somewhat slow. Timezones and all.
Played a long round with Jack the other day. He's good security - not too heavy-handed, but in constant communication and coordination. Even when there were only a few of us, some lost in space and the station going to hell, he ran a tight ship. Nothing but good things to say about him, but that was only one round - for all I know, last week he had a bad day and took it out by harmbatoning the barman for peeing in his bourbon. That said, I highly doubt it, and I'd probably trust him with the role.
I've really not seen a lot of you; I only recognize you as Jack, and I've only seen you memorably in one game. However, you didn't seem to do anything WRONG that game, and your post here is pretty intelligent.

I'm not sure I'd vouch for you being a HoS though; with you saying that you specifically haven't played a lot of Sec, and with you being unrecognizeable to regulars on station, you might just simply not have enough experience. Of course I could just be in the wrong timezone or something silly, but still.

That being said, I'm pretty sure if you started to play a bit more (AS ONE SINGLE RECOGNIZEABLE NAME NOT THREE GOD DAMN) then I could definitely get behind you.

Can't really say more than that; play more!

have I emphasised picking a single name enough
because if I haven't then please pick a single name and stick with it
I am now Jack Swag on all occasions, however much that name is gonna haunt me is irrelevant :p
My antics didn't phase him, he's a calm guy and seems to work well in a team.
Played a round of security with him, and I have to say that this guy knows his stuff well. He's very calm about things and I didn't have an problems at all with him. I think he's fit for the hat/beret.
I think i've seen him play security or detective only once, perhaps we play on different servers or something.

although when he DID play security he was pretty good.

yes from me.
This guy is always on as security when I'm head of security (i'm seamus o'flanagan). He is always a really good player and a really good candidate for Head of Security. I put my full support behind the dude.
I really think he is worthy of the beret, he always keeps his cool as security, and not once I've seen him doing something bad. A yes from me.
Been Sec a lot recently, and I've noticed him a lot now too. He's a good guy, and would suit being a HoS pretty well. That being said, my only potential gripe is that he's also got to do Mentor stuff too; I've no real idea of your knowledge outside of Sec.
Well to clarify, I used to play pretty much everything but sec. Only went crazy with my sec play this week to get experience.

I feel I am somewhat knowledgable on several fields of the game, but with the changes in mechanics and the new station there's quite a few things I need to rediscover, for now I'll stick to playing sec so people can form an opinion about that, as I feel it's the most relevant for this application though.

-Jack Swag. smile
Zeronine Wrote:-Jack Swag. smile
Don't sign your posts. Otherwise, he gets a yes from me, good player.
good guy. knows his shit, knows where to draw the line and knows how to have fun.