Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Security Thread 4.0: Oh no
I've played with Oar thoughout the week and sure he can get mean but I have not seen him partake in those activities when I played with him. Also sometime last year he was banned for a bit for taking it too far as a HoS. As a HoS player myself adminhelp when you think or see me being shit. I've been sent to the prison zone once as HoS and have been contacted numerous times as one. Not saying you are lying cause I for sure have seen and experience the things Oar does but I think there's more to the whole story. I would not be opposed to a HoS complaint forum but I've seen admins express concerns about letting players complain about other players on The forums
(05-08-2016, 03:15 AM)Grek Wrote: I want a machine that lets me set contraband levels. Fighting a blob? Flamethrowers are now open carry! Botany making weed? Inform Officer Beepsky weed is now highly illegal.

I really really dig this idea, how about allowing the Captain and the HoS to use a PDA app to scan objects and mark them as contraband, or no longer mark them as contraband?
I just like the idea of a tator hop/captain deciding basic things are now contraband.

Shoes are now illegal.
(05-08-2016, 04:20 PM)ErikHanson Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 03:15 AM)Grek Wrote: I want a machine that lets me set contraband levels. Fighting a blob? Flamethrowers are now open carry! Botany making weed? Inform Officer Beepsky weed is now highly illegal.

I really really dig this idea, how about allowing the Captain and the HoS to use a PDA app to scan objects and mark them as contraband, or no longer mark them as contraband?

I could finally make fun and weed illegal
(05-08-2016, 04:49 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

Totally derailing this thread here, but I'll see if i can come up with a good and neat patch for this somewhere this week, just finished the basic framework. =)
(05-08-2016, 04:52 PM)ErikHanson Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 04:49 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

Totally derailing this thread here, but I'll see if i can come up with a good and neat patch for this somewhere this week, just finished the basic framework. =)
HALLELUJAH!
(05-08-2016, 03:56 PM)Roomba Wrote: Fuck it, it's Oar Derhv. I don't want to make this a callout thread or get ragged on for metagrudging so I won't go on about this, I've already said my piece in the SA thread. Either way, it's clear that they haven't changed, do not intend to change their behavior, and are consistently allowed to get away with it round after round. It's not setting a great precedent re: HOSes.

Neither this thread, nor the SA thread, nor anywhere else on our forums are appropriate places for airing problems you have with individual HoS players.

If you have a problem with a HoS, adminhelp it, preferably while the problem is happening.  We can't and won't do anything if people are just saying shit like this with no examples or proof.  It just comes off looking weird and petty, especially when it's spread from the already shitty SA thread to here.
Personally, I miss the times when security was ultra brutal and would arrest you for breaking into other departments to steal stuff. It added a neato stealth element to the game because getting caught breaking into science might out you as a traitor when they checked your bags for stolen goods
I've come to noticed that Security threads start off nice and then quickly turn into a toxic mess of people just complaining about anything and everything about the job and all discussion on what items, changes and things that can make the job easier just stops. The sad part is that every security thread turns into this. It breaks my heart as I love Security as a Job. It's my favorite Job in this game, my most played job and I only started playing security after I had a full Security team bucklecuff me to a chair and beat me to death for being pushed into the Security Lobby. Since then I played for two years in hopes of stopping shit sec where I see it So noone else had to go though what I did and my efforts got me to become a Head of Security and after all the years of trying to improve sec, getting officers to use teamwork and fighting shit sec along with dealing with the hate you get as security no matter what I did. All I get for a reward is shitty derailed threads made for the purpose of improving the job for everyone. Want to know why only a handful play this job now and rampages are running wild? It's because almost every person who goes to play security gets nothing but scorn from the players around them no matter what they do. Good or bad and they decide it's not worth putting up with.

A wise man once said "SECURITY IS NOT HERE TO MAKE YOU HAPPY"
(05-08-2016, 06:13 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Personally, I miss the times when security was ultra brutal and would arrest you for breaking into other departments to steal stuff. It added a neato stealth element to the game because getting caught breaking into science might out you as a traitor when they checked your bags for stolen goods

the subtle art of falsewalling r-walls without leaving any trace

All Ears

the magic of some random crewmember beating you to death over breaking into a department he has nothing to do with

Grimm and frostbitten 

do people really not do this anymore? what's the point of security at that point?
No because the admins will ban you for murdering people over B&E.
Murder seems a dispropotionate response to B&E anyway. Maybe a smack with a baton and being dragged out of the place in question.

I know when I've played sec my efforts to do things properly are hampered by the fact that there is just too much going on always. Even skipping things like trials, simply searching someone's stuff takes longer than the actual brigging time you'd give them, and half the time the captive just decides to suicide out anyway. Which annoys me to no end. If I was going to kill you, I'd have already thrown you out the goddamn airlock, you fucks!

I know when I'm a traitor and I get caught I just play along if I can't break free. More traitors should do this. If you honest to god can't think of any way to mess things up without your traitor toys, you are not thinking out of the box enough. If sec decides you're that much of a danger that you should be dead, you've probably messed things up enough already.

Or sec is bad. I really don't know how to address the problem of vigilante-style sec. Whitelisting sec entirely would be a totally stupid idea, because people already don't want to play sec as it is. Hrm.

It's a constant precipice of disaster because if sec does their job, people get mad, and if sec doesn't do their job, people get mad.

At this point, why not just remove sec from the game entirely? They're so rare in the rounds I play that the department is just there as a free weapons silo for anyone with an emag.
Searching a perp takes way too long, I agree.

I don't want to bring back the ye olde method of stripping because that was just ridiculous, but it'd be nice if there were some dedicated searching tools for security.

Maybe like an airport screening sort of thing.
Searching doesn't take that long. Just empty their pockets,  bag, and belt if they have one. Click drag any boxes inside to yourself. Confiscate anything illegal, or that they can use to get out of a cell. Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

If you really wanna get crazy, you can check each item individually for stealth storage or deringers, but that's really going the extra step.

I dunno. A scanner could speed the process up, but a hand one might make it too easy to random check people in the halls. A better option would be a gate near the brig they have to pass through that generates a list of everything on them, barring hidden or stealth items (a sleepy pen being identified as just a normal pen)
(05-09-2016, 09:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: A better option would be a gate near the brig they have to pass through that generates a list of everything on them, barring hidden or stealth items (a sleepy pen being identified as just a normal pen)

This is what I was thinking of.

If they get implemented, I hope mechanics can scan them. That way, I could run my own space TSA by placing a couple at the shuttle's doors.