Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wizard Spell Concept
Wanted to overhaul Wizard and give him some new toys and a new gimmick for his spells.

All Spells comprise two words, The prefix and suffix. The prefix is a modifier The Suffix is the spell type.

Prefixes
Fire, Ice, Water, Thunder, Explosion, Implosion, Mini, Butt, Strength, Open, Close

Suffixes
Shield, Warp, Missile, Golem, Touch, Infuse.

The wizard gets to pick a limited number of both word types, and during the round can combine them however they choose. When a spell is cast, both words go into cooldown separately. They can also use the Suffixes by themselves for simpler spells without the more powerful modifiers.

Some Examples of combined spells.

Fire Shield:  Anyone who attacks the wizard is lit on fire.

Explosion Warp: as you teleport, Both the escape location and the arrival location gets an AOE knockdown.

Mini Golem: Spawns 3 Mini golems that do half the damage and have half the life.

Butt Touch: Turns the victim into a buttbot.

Fire Warp: teleports a victim to somewhere in the lava moon.
I love this idea, it'll give wizards a wide variety of spells to experiment with.
Aside from being combinatorial hell to test, I don't know how you'd handle more ambiguous terms like "Mini Touch" or "Strength Warp" or "Implosion Infuse".
(04-30-2016, 12:09 PM)Cirrial Wrote: Aside from being combinatorial hell to test, I don't know how you'd handle more ambiguous terms like "Mini Touch" or "Strength Warp" or "Implosion Infuse".

Some may simply need to fizzle and not work. others can give you unexpected or oddball effects.

Mini touch: Shrinks the person into a minifigure.

Strength Warp: Anyone you smack with your staff gets Teleported away
One way to handle that would be to just not give invalid suffixes as options.

Like, pick a prefix and get a list of possible suffixes that doesn't include ones that don't work.
Actually, this is pretty neat. Butt Golems, here we come
In seriousness, this + a few more oddball/unfitting "signature" spells could be pretty fun stuff and it encourages experimentation, which Wizards could definitely use (also: being fun)
This is a good fun idea.
This sounds like an absolute nightmare to code and/or test.

Cluwning will also need to somehow be implemented with this.
Maybe a Silly prefix. Move Butt to a suffix

Silly Touch could be Cluwne, Silly Butt Rathens Secret

Things like Fire Butt can be left to the imagination.
(04-30-2016, 01:14 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: This sounds like an absolute nightmare to code and/or test.

It's just new and/or extra variants on spells. Cluwning could be handled by a Honk prefix or something simple.

honk Touch: Cluwne

Honk Golem: Clown Spiders

Honk Missile: Launched pie
(04-30-2016, 01:14 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: This sounds like an absolute nightmare to code and/or test.

It wouldn't be much different as to how the genetics system would handle combinations, I'd be down to write a patch for this if someone is willing to pull it.
(04-30-2016, 01:30 PM)ErikHanson Wrote:

It wouldn't be much different as to how the genetics system would handle combinations, I'd be down to write a patch for this if someone is willing to pull it.
i think a sort of spell hotbar/hotkey would be nice. a 5 row, 2 colum hotbar they can swap to make visible. click top button to select prefix, bottom button suffix, coincides with 1 thru 5 on keyboard.

As for weaknesses... If the wizard does not have the staff, they can't prefix their spells. Leaving them with vastly simplified castings until done.

Warp would be the blink spell (teleport away a short distance)
touch: shock
missile: single target knock down missile
etc
the Honk Missile launched pie should have a random reagent in it. Maybe it'll be foof and fuck your target RIGHT up, maybe it'll be omnizine.
(04-30-2016, 01:25 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Maybe a Silly prefix. Move Butt to a suffix

Silly Touch could be Cluwne, Silly Butt Rathens Secret

Things like Fire Butt can be left to the imagination.

Fire Butt.

Okay, this has sold me on this idea.
Why not forget the whole prefix/suffix thing and make it so you can combine any 2 words?