Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goonstation is a meme-free zone
Exclamation 
This is in the rules, but it seems like people don't read those or don't remember this bit, but here is a very important thing:

using 4chan memes or other old tired internetspeak will probably get you murdered

if i see anyone using the word cuck, or prefacing their emotions with MFW, or any of that shit, I will gib you at minimum and no, you do not get a respawn if you promise to stop, so don't even ask.

yes i know we have our own catchphrases and the like, so if you want to start an argument about how i'm a hypocrite for not exploding people for talking about george melons or w/e, please feel free to hit yourself in the head with a rock until this desire abates.

fair warning: i will not care if you are using them 'ironically' or 'just to get a reaction' or whatthefuckever.  if you absolutely cannot communicate without using a lexicon of stupid shit some other stupid asshole farted out years ago, then maybe you should work on that.

if you think this is unfair of me, please fuck completely off at your very earliest opportunity
Thank you,

Sir for this reminder,
I have printed a colored copy then placed this color copy on the front of the door to my fridge, affixed with a magnet many consider to be of the strongest variety.
So this is only for 4chan memes and other servers memes? Does saying 2d spessman count as that?
Thank you. I really don't understand why people want to spout memes in places other then the websites they come from. Keep it on 4chan or reddit. One thing I hate seeing and I see it most of the time in OOC is when people put a ">" next to what they are writing like they are trying to greentext or some shit. I doubt any of the players that do this are on the forums but if they are and they are reading this then stop it. You look like a massive tool when you do that
I just want to chime in that I will also kill you in game if you use cuck in any way.
I'm assuming that it's a rule allowing for things within reason, as the definition of meme is a really broad one. The intent here is to keep away 4chan culture after some unsavory incidences, and is a continuation of what Goon has always done, so it seems mostly fine. Just make sure that meme's don't become the new anime, 'cause I'm currently seeing a few parallels between that dead rule and this new one. If memes do befall that fate, expect memes to find themselves in the weird humor niche that anime is in now.

Side note, my brain still can't seem to comprehend the word cuck when I see it. I know what it means, but the word just seems wrong in every way. It looks like a typo of fuck. At the same time, my mind goes to chickens, because it also looks like a typo of cluck. Even like the tense of the insult's meaning feels off. Sadly, it doesn't seem like it'll be going anywhere soon.
(04-29-2016, 07:46 PM)Mageziya Wrote: It looks like a typo of fuck. At the same time, my mind goes to chickens.

I thought I was the only one who thought this.

Also just saying you may want to add something to this rule "using 4chan memes or other old tired internetspeak will probably get you murdered" to clarify that by murdered you mean people in game may murder you or admins may punish you for it. A lot of the rules and punishment for said rules are too vague for people who have not been playing for too long.
I never even got how > and mfw became a thing outside of 2chan-styled imageboards. mfw is for reaction images and > is a website-specific quoting style. Using them in a place that allows for neither is the equivalent of saying lol in response to someone's joke.

With regards to cuck I'd figure it'd be against the 'creepy'/sexually charged rule anyways.
I always thought using > to partially quote something was from the days of newsgroups and is still in use for emails (if you don't have a modern client that formats it a little better). I still use it on rare occasion predominantly to respond to selected extracts from a larger piece of text.

I guess I've never done so in-game but am I a bad guy now? :C

Edit: But mfw/tfw/yfw can rot and I fucking hate everything about the current trend of using the word cuck. It should be against the rules for the reason Vitatroll gave anyway.
why is there so much stigma attached to cuck? i don't even know what it means

i moved into a nicer place recently and sometimes i hear the rooster crow at morning and other times of the day and it goes "cuck a doodle doo!"

like am i supposed to be angry at the rooster for something
(04-30-2016, 01:59 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: why is there so much stigma attached to cuck? i don't even know what it means

i moved into a nicer place recently and sometimes i hear the rooster crow at morning and other times of the day and it goes "cuck a doodle doo!"

Your thinking of "Cluck a doodle doo" not "cuck a doodle do". If you want to know what cuck means just google it. In the digitally age ignorance is a choice.
(04-30-2016, 02:06 AM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(04-30-2016, 01:59 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: why is there so much stigma attached to cuck? i don't even know what it means

Your thinking of "Cluck a doodle doo" not "cuck a doodle do". If you want to know what cuck means just google it. In the digitally age ignorance is a choice.
it's what it sounds like to me

also was that passive aggressiveness really necessary? you could have just told me that without being so passive aggressive
My apologies I did not mean to come off like that, but you could have found out what it meant easily before posting and would have understand why many of us are sick of it and why many of us feels it falls under the "no 'creepy'/sexually rule"
(04-30-2016, 02:12 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: My apologies I did not mean to come off like that, but you could have found out what it meant easily before posting and would have understand why many of us are sick of it and why many of us feels it falls under the "no 'creepy'/sexually rule"

i understand now

like what are people doing with it? are people being called out as being one? is it some kind of weird non-sense insult?
Some people have been joining the game with it either in their name or just calling others it at random. At least that's what I've seen one time I played here and there been some unban appeals of people defending the use of it in the game.