Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Crew Objectives
We need crew objectives, and I don't mean the individual crew objectives that already exist and only the occasional person follows, I mean objectives for the crew as a whole.

As it stands, a round can only end if the antags are killed or the shuttle is called. With these crew objectives we can mend this.

So, as a brief rundown of my idea for these objectives, they would be in the form of a message or email from centcom that the captain can check. Completing all of the crew objectives would act as round ending critera and count it as a success for the crew.
The objectives can range from 2-3 simpleish ones like 'Have the station budget at X' or 'Deliver X number of object Y to centcom via QM' and 'Activate X number of artifacts'. An assortment of things like this, things that would require cross department co-operation to achieve and can't be done in a matter of minutes but aren't exceptionally hard to do.
Then there would be slightly harder objectives like 'Have the engine running above X output for Y minutes' and 'A centcom VIP is on station, keep them alive for X minutes' (The VIP being a randomly selected crewmember when this objective comes up)
Finally we would have the ultimate objectives. These objectives only come as single objectives on their own and wouldn't come up often. They would usually involve some deep space location as well. Something along the lines of 'Several important artifacts were lost on a nearby ice moon. Return them to the station and send them off to centcom via QM. There are a total of X' or 'A prison shuttle travelling through space near your station has sent out a distress signal and stopped responding. Find it, secure the prisoner, and message centcom with them secured in the brig.' (This one could probably spawn on the currently empty Z-level.)

Now these objectives are designed to encourage teamwork amongst the crew, a sentence that probably shocked most of you reading this. It properly solidifies cross department co-operation, gives everyone an overall goal to aim for. Stops the shuttle being a way to end a long drawn out round and lastly, gives something for the traitor to be a wrench in the works to.

The emergency shuttle will still be a thing of course, but it no longer has to be the only reliable way to end a round.It also means we can bring back the 'Get the shuttle called' traitor objectives, just without the set timer of when you have to do it by.

This is just a summary of what I've been thinking about really, please add your feedback to it and improve it how you can.
Readster Wrote:'A centcom VIP is on station, keep them alive for X minutes' (The VIP being a randomly selected crewmember when this objective comes up)

thus began the era of normal players naming themselves ridiculous things just so it'll be funnier when they get to be the VIP.

in all serious, i'm not sure ending the round immediately would be the best thing(though you never said anything about it being immediate). maybe if completing all of the station objectives™ started a shuttle arrival that couldn't be recalled it could work.
I like this, but it instead of just simply making it a round ending thing, make it so that the escape shuttle is replaced with a reward shuttle, which takes them to a tropical beach instead of centcom. Also, the reward shuttle tales 5 minutes to reach the station, instead of 10.

Because vacation rewards are more important than evacuating a dying station, obviously.

Having the round end immediately doesn't seem like a great incentive for player cooperation, tbh. But it would be nice to have "I'm bored" to not be a reason to call the emergency shuttle.
So forcing the crew to do certain arbitrary objectives that ignores what happens during a shift, and then making it so people who want to call the emergency shuttle be declared traitors does not sound like an improvement over the, "whatever ever happens, happens" kind of game we play.

I get you want to prevent shitheads who are pissed off they didnt get the role they wanted trying to force a shuttle call,(Releasing the Engine at the beginning of the round) but relying on everyone to complete objectives that are forced upon them isnt very good either.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:So forcing the crew to do certain arbitrary objectives that ignores what happens during a shift, and then making it so people who want to call the emergency shuttle be declared traitors does not sound like an improvement over the, "whatever ever happens, happens" kind of game we play.

I get you want to prevent shitheads who are pissed off they didnt get the role they wanted trying to force a shuttle call,(Releasing the Engine at the beginning of the round) but relying on everyone to complete objectives that are forced upon them isnt very good either.

I'm not intending for the objectives to be forced. Much like with individual objectives or traitor objectives, you can aim for them if you want, but if you don't much care you can just let the shift run until an emergency shuttle call is needed. If the captain doesn't bother to even check the messages then nobody even knows what the objectives are. It's the captains job to rally the crew towards the objective and their choice if they even try the objective.

And as for the round ending immediately then yes, I agree. Perhaps a head will need to send a message to centcom for the objective conditions to be checked if complete, meaning the crew gets a chance to have a victory lap and get wasted in the bar before they send the alert.
As it requires the co-operation of the crew you can't really have a dick captain that just goes for it to end the round quickly.

The idea is still very much just an idea at the moment though, it does need more work and input if it wants any chance to be an actual thing.
Not sure how you can say that these objectives are not forced upon the crew, because that is the only you can evacuate without blowing up the station, plus having to rely on the captain for these things is not something I can trust as it seems that the captaniship is almost always filled by power-drunk idiots who will either ignore them and fuck off to space, or force everyone to do the objective
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:plus having to rely on the captain for these things is not something I can trust as it seems that the captaniship is almost always filled by power-drunk idiots who will either ignore them and fuck off to space, or force everyone to do the objective

You make a good point.

And isn't blowing the station to hell or killing most of the crew the main way to end a round as it currently is anyway? Unless the antags suck and everyone gets bored 80 minutes into a round.
Yeah but some traitors opt to be more stealthy and I have seen that a lot of people will claim that the station is fine even though there are people running around killing others, unless there is a hole seperating part of the station.
this is a good idea™
I had an idea before that you oughta get emails that give objectives, both departmental and personal.

You could probably do thing where each department has their objectives and it's a contest to see who can get theirs done first, maybe with spacebux bonuses
A branch off of Frank's idea, how about each department gets an objective except for Security (who gets "Protect the Peace" or something every round to keep it non competitive for em) and one for the whole crew to complete to offer round end victory shuttle or sumthin. The first department to complete their goal gets a bonus, with every following department getting a smaller bonus till it's like 100 spacebux or something for the objective.

But based solely upon Readster's revision I gotta say this idea would be really really good and help to make Goon more unique and fun big grin
Oh wow, a necro of a 6 year old thread.

Im gonna take a guess and say that this idea was what resulted in the department rating at the end of a round.
Getting bad grades in those reduces the amount of spacebux you get at the end.

Although maybe turning this around from you getting deductions from other departments doing bad, you could be getting more for doing good instead.
I kinda meant that sorta, your department gets an extra bonus after you complete it's objective based upon what place it came in.