Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Feature] Materials/Fabricators/Armor Retooling and Miscellaneous Improvements
Changelog:
  • Emergency suits should no longer be QUITE as useless as they are
  • swat helmets are actually better than normal helmets now 
  • heavy armor is now actually useful.
  • Industrial armor is no longer weaker than a normal space suit.
  • Batman mask now has a bat respirator.
  • Completely changed the values used for material fabrication, should prevent things like making industrial armor with just molitz, pharosium, and mauxite.
  • Increased the amount of helium in helium tanks, 1000 units is way too low to actually run a balloon stand
  • Made the wrestling belt compatible with mechanics scanners
  • Made Syringe guns compatible with mechanics scanners 
  • Fixed a whole bunch of armor issues
  • Made cloaking devices appear in surplus crates
  • Re-added the syndicate command helmet
  • Attempted fix for NASSA space suit not working properly
  • Re-enabled spacewear masks
  • Significantly reduced the number of masks that qualify as spacewear. If you want to be a space horse, you'll need a helmet.
  • No more 240 unit water can/oil can chem grenades. Sorry.
  • Made robusttec implants inject epinephrine instead of non-existent inaprovaline
  • Made a new helmet to go with heavy armor instead of the NT Helmet. It's really heavy and dark.
  • Made item and mob sprites for said helmet!
  • Plasma glass is more secure!
  • More utility for gemstones!
  • Normal space suits are slightly faster now.
  • Engineering space suits are now twice as slow as normal suits
  • They have been made more fire resistant to compensate and be more true to their original purpose
  • Emergency suits can now travel 36 tiles before ripping becomes a possibility
  • Industrial space armor is way more expensive to copy at mechanics
  • Added a little something for miners and roboticists to actually try to cooperate together on
  • Nike
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...r?expand=1

Edit: new changes are in bold
Oh hell, armor being useful. This is going to be nuts.

Also I can now fight crime in space with the bat respirator, thank you Noah Buttes.
BATMAN
This looks good!

Never realized that most armors were useless. Sort of explains why no one ever used them.
Why the stealth Cloaking Device change?
(04-27-2016, 01:06 PM)Grek Wrote: Why the stealth Cloaking Device change?

Well, it's a cloaking device, so of course it'd be stealthy.

More seriously, it's because all the other items excluded from crates are either rampage items or job-specific items that are far too specialized to put in the crate.

The cloaking device is neither anymore, and including it in crates should cause it to see some more use, thereby providing an actual incentive for using thermals instead of always wearing sunglasses all the time.
*slaps noah buttes'*

All Ears All Ears
Gunna comment on a few things:

from here
Code:
if (wear_mask && (wear_mask.c_flags & SPACEWEAR)) // why on earth was this commented out?

Because it makes it so you're completely protected from space just by having a spaceproof helmet and mask on, or just a mask and suit.  It was a little silly.  Might be the fault of what was set to use that flag on masks though.

from here
Code:
else if (istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass) && stage == 1) // this actually includes watering cans, oil cans, and such.
    if (istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass/beaker/large)) // I lack coding skill, so I'm just gonna mark it as intentional

You could do this by changing the second line to be:
Code:
if (istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass/beaker/large) || istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass/wateringcan) || istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass/oilcan))

or an if/else if chain, or a switch.

from here
Code:
armor_value_melee = 12 // is meant to go along with the heavy armor, so buffing this significantly

Is it meant to be?  It looks like a telesci item to me.  I don't think I've seen it outside of there.  Am I missing something?

I'm going to implement some of this, but I'll have to think about the armor and material system stuff first.  Could you explain the changes to the electrical/hardness/toughness properties for some materials?  I'm also not sure about the changes here for humans' ex_act() related to the EOD armor.  It already has a specific clause for EOD armor above that.  What you added seems to just basically double up the reduction that the armor gets.
(04-29-2016, 08:22 AM)Haine Wrote: Gunna comment on a few things:

from here
Code:
if (wear_mask && (wear_mask.c_flags & SPACEWEAR)) // why on earth was this commented out?

Because it makes it so you're completely protected from space just by having a spaceproof helmet and mask on, or just a mask and suit.  It was a little silly.  Might be the fault of what was set to use that flag on masks though.
I actually just edited that a few minutes before you brought this up so you couldn't use just a mask and a helmet.

But yeah, I should probably go through and trim down the number of SPACEWEAR tags on masks. EDIT: I significantly trimmed the number of space worthy masks.

(04-29-2016, 08:22 AM)Haine Wrote: from here
Code:
else if (istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass) && stage == 1) // this actually includes watering cans, oil cans, and such.
    if (istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass/beaker/large)) // I lack coding skill, so I'm just gonna mark it as intentional

You could do this by changing the second line to be:
Code:
if (istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass/beaker/large) || istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass/wateringcan) || istype(W,/obj/item/reagent_containers/glass/oilcan))

or an if/else if chain, or a switch.
Thanks for the advice! I'll implement that straight away. Edit: IMPLEMENTED.
(04-29-2016, 08:22 AM)Haine Wrote: from here
Code:
armor_value_melee = 12 // is meant to go along with the heavy armor, so buffing this significantly

Is it meant to be?  It looks like a telesci item to me.  I don't think I've seen it outside of there.  Am I missing something?

Yeah, they're actually right on top of the heavy armor in the armory. It might be best to just make a new helmet for that, though.

(04-29-2016, 08:22 AM)Haine Wrote: I'm going to implement some of this, but I'll have to think about the armor and material system stuff first.  Could you explain the changes to the electrical/hardness/toughness properties for some materials?

The manufacturing system changes were implemented to fix the long-standing issues regarding fabricators using common materials like pharosium and molitz instead of the rarer claretine and uqill respectively. This was the cause for round-start industrial armor, round-start borg efficiency upgrades, and all sorts of other fabricator balance issues. This should, in theory, make mining more relevant again, as well as providing a use for all those fancy gemstones they seem to dig up.

As far as the materials themselves go, I adjusted the property values in order to fit them more comfortably within the adjusted fabricator material requirements, as well as making some of them a bit more useful (E.G. Koshmarite, Gold). I also adjusted the electrical conductivity of Gold and Silver to match up with that of electrum, since the latter is an alloy of the two. Although, silver doesn't actually seem to be a mineable ore.

(04-29-2016, 08:22 AM)Haine Wrote: I'm also not sure about the changes here for humans' ex_act() related to the EOD armor.  It already has a specific clause for EOD armor above that.  What you added seems to just basically double up the reduction that the armor gets.

Oh my goodness, thank you for reminding about that! I originally intended to double it up, yes, but I found that it was ridiculously overpowered like that in testing. I was going to change it back, but I had forgotten!

Fixing that ASAP. Edit: FIXED.
So basically, MINING IS ACTUALLY USEFUL FOR STUFF OTHER THAN MAKING FAT STACKS FOR CARGO NOW?
(04-29-2016, 09:35 AM)Camnui Wrote: So basically, MINING IS ACTUALLY USEFUL FOR STUFF OTHER THAN MAKING FAT STACKS FOR CARGO NOW?

They can still do that, but now they have OPTIONS!
gonna try to sprite a new helmet to go with the heavy armor
BOOM, SPRITES!

ITEM SPRITE:
[Image: FIpZ2RL.png]

MOB SPRITE:
[Image: JX7fAWr.png]
Note that I wasn't able to replace the Nanotrasen Helmets in the armory with the riot helmets because I have no idea how byond mapping works.
Well, apparently someone made wrestling belts scannable without telling me.

So I guess that part is redundant now.