Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[Feature] Agents Gamemode
This patch intends to add a new and unique game mode, in this game mode several players are selected as a Syndicate sleeper agent, upon spawning they will receive a random gun, and the objective to escape alive.

Patch: https://gist.github.com/Chnkr/b99dc15132...b314532ca7
wait what an entire gamemode just silently emerges from the depths of erik's patch-land?

Seeing as how most gamemodes on this board generally end up in 10 page discussions that don't result in anything at all, this is just odd.
Why would you include the BFG and the Owl Gun?

Especially the owl gun, since you used /obj/item/gun/energy/owl rather than /obj/item/gun/energy/owl_safe

The latter gives people the owl costume, whereas the former shoots projectiles that call owlgib() on any human they hit.

It's a one-shot gib gun.
(04-26-2016, 12:31 PM)Mageziya Wrote: wait what an entire gamemode just silently emerges from the depths of erik's patch-land?

Seeing as how most gamemodes on this board generally end up in 10 page discussions that don't result in anything at all, this is just odd.

Honestly I'm not complaining, let's see how it plays out, I mean it may need a couple tweaks but it sounds like it's going to be fun.
I'm a little conflicted on this one. It just seems a bit... lacking. All it gives you really is a hardmode traitor who spawns with a gun. I just feel as if there should either be more interaction, mechanics, abilities or just something more unique about them. I'm all for new gamemodes though, its just that this one seems half-baked currently.
An amusing concept, but I'd rather it be an admin thing then in the gamemode rotation.
(04-26-2016, 01:39 PM)zewaka Wrote: I'm a little conflicted on this one. It just seems a bit... lacking. All it gives you really is a hardmode traitor who spawns with a gun. I just feel as if there should either be more interaction, mechanics, abilities or just something more unique about them. I'm all for new gamemodes though, its just that this one seems half-baked currently.

Maybe give them all conflicting objectives? like one has a Kill X, and the other has make sure X escapes alive?
I'm honestly surprised it's not like, Assassins, where each person has a target while simultaneously being someone else's target.
(04-26-2016, 03:22 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'm honestly surprised it's not like, Assassins, where each person has a target while simultaneously being someone else's target.

Oh man, that could end up being hilarious, the whole thing sounds like it could end up like a mexican standoff in the bar.
Yeah, the base concept seems a little janky, but a The Ship-esque "this is your quarry, this is your hunter" setup seems fun. Since killing people who aren't your target would be very counterproductive/against The Rules/your instructions, it might mitigate the murderbone.
(04-26-2016, 04:06 PM)Camnui Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 03:22 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'm honestly surprised it's not like, Assassins, where each person has a target while simultaneously being someone else's target.

Oh man, that could end up being hilarious, the whole thing sounds like it could end up like a mexican standoff in the bar.

This sounds like spy mode 2.0
(04-26-2016, 05:20 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 04:06 PM)Camnui Wrote:

This sounds like spy mode 2.0
So essentially, the Ship. The problem with Rev and Spy is that they just turned into murder mode when it wasn't intended. The ship essentially plays out as mass murder as every single person has a target, and as consequence everyone is hunted. A problem with this though would be that people couldn't really play their jobs, but if the game mode was rare enough it wouldn't be a problem.

It'd have to be a different style of game to SS13 though. The ship works by putting penalties on collateral damage, that is: killing someone who isn't your target. If there was a penalty to collateral killings, then it could be a great game-mode. Any level of restraint on just murder-boning the entire station at once could make the mode extremely interesting, since the inability to prevent this is what made Rev and Spy considered ass.

One thing I can't quite think of how to organize would be late-joiners, but they could probably be given a target on the station and be told to have at it, thought it would make the problem of redundant targets with them not being targeted by anyone.

It'd be an absolute chaotic mess, but it'd be an intended mess, which would make it great.

Meanwhile, the AI watches with its great Orwellian eye and weeps a single pixelated tear. There is the problem of heads abusing their powers and subverting the AI, but I could see the AI being sealed off and re-purposed into a announcer of the on-going most dangerous game. Could even be given the role of acting as a dungeon master of sorts with the purpose of doing anything to make the encounters and interactions more interesting. Law 2 would be dead, but replaced with this interest law of sorts. Could do things like give the locations of people, bolt open places, bolt people into places until they thunderdome it out and one person is the victor, let people through places, set people to arrest so that beebsky gives people hell, and so on.

That's all I can think of for now. I am really tired, so forgive any weird errors or general weirdness. For some reason being really tired just makes me want to babble on forever and ever.
Announcer AI sounds like fun. Hell, make the 'game mode' more of a 'game show'. Convert the station into an elaborate slaughterhouse, with illustrious rewards for following the rules and hideous punishment for breaking them.

Maybe per latejoin, pair those two players that joined up? Or accrue a 'pool' of 4, 6, or 8 and then randomly assign them. Dunno. That, or make latejoiners special bonus hostages or something, beats me.

EDIT: Altogether, it seems like an interesting opportunity to have an excuse to use the combat system and people's ingenuity, but also to prevent horrible shitty murderbone. Better when it functions, and less worse when somebody messes it all up!

EDIT2: Announcer/game-controller/terrifying overlord AI seems like a good shakeup too. Not malf, necessarily, just required to make things interesting and punish the shitboots.
The mentioning of The Ship makes me think of each agent having some sort of score to their name, maybe telecrystals to buy better equipment to robust targets and escaping hunters? It would need some way to discourage murdering innocents. Could also be a "The Game" style competition with a slow-acting poison whose antidote is administered when your quarry is killed.
Good feedback, i'll try to improve it, expect a update somewhere today.