Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Botany and body parts
*Bump* so the franken-plant thread been forgotten? I wanna be a franken-botanist dammit!!!
I made a topic with some similar ideas not too long ago, though the process of becoming a plant person is a little more... involved.

http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6844
(09-02-2016, 02:40 PM)Fonduede Wrote: I made a topic with some similar ideas not too long ago, though the process of becoming a plant person is a little more... involved.

http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6844

yer idea is nice i must admit, altho my idea would litterally use existing mechanics and parts with addition of only 2 "new" parts, while yers would require a bit more tinkering... but i guess best would be having both yer and mine combined (mine being the longer way, which can be done by standard medic and botanist with procedure similar to borging, while yers would be more like cloning-podding of the gibbed peple like upgraded cloner with an advanced necro scanner)
I think it would be nice to have botany have a little more work to do, rather than just have food or weed grow and nothing else, and I feel like these ideas are something that would help make botany more fun (and more of a terrorism target, but that can also be fun). If you consider the depth of knowledge that, say, doctors need, or the amount of preparation a roboticist has to do in order to make borgs, these ideas together would make botany a very full and fun position to play.

Botany having its own weird version of medical procedures to replace body parts with synth parts and growing and taking care of replicants would offer a LOT more stuff to do for botanists. If you also consider that we could use the existing systems of the plant statistics (potency, etc), and perhaps even splicing plant genes to effect how these plant parts would change the person when they are added, or the condition of the replicant when they are grown, we can have already skilled botanists drop in with their knowledge and start doing crazy things with botany.

Of course, this is probably all a nightmare to code, but its always fun to think up possibilities!
ON some servers i played, (usually tg or baycode) each department takes several other fields under it. Botany being the main one in doing so. Botanist would replace miners in basic things, for example they would make sand for glass, grow metal plants for steel, they would grow healing plants (a lot damn easyer procedure than to brew some of those chems) heck in one case they had electrical plant from which cells could be made or use the plant as a small generator. There botany mostly relieved engineering and mining for the basics (glass and steel), helped medbay with advanced stuff (medbay had to just separate drugs from medicine, and cram it into pills, instead of spending hours to brew a few beakers), suplemented kitchen, or if cook was unavailable replaced (peeps had to eat to avoid death,even if it was just bare products straight from garden), had also weaponized plants (basically exploding plants which could contain chemicals, or be injected with them, or there could be barbed plants which acted like a vaccine or coated blade, injecting their contents on hit. Exploding plants did no physical effect except smudges on the floor, but the chemicals inside would spray into clouds (like crowd dispersing grenade) i used this to heal and feed people especially AFK-ers in mess hall, while security loved my barbed exploding potatoes which knocks out criminals by gassing the entire room or injecting the targets on impact... It made traitors deviate from the usual "run and gun" or "stealth,kill and gib" trend... to the point botany got more guards than any other place on station... we dont want a horde of walking meat eating plants to roam arround... well security loved those in armoury and such boring places... i also took kudzu genes and put it into plants so they grow anywhere (floors) so people can just forget about watering and all... later i developed a thorny medical plant which not only got people high (damn peeps loved being drugged) but healed them from 4 basic injuries. I even put a thorny nutritional plant in mess hall so when people walk in they get injected with nutritions since cooks was too busy playin arcades (they fed him to the plants later)
While I agree with the broader point that more stuff for botany to do would be nice, please space out your thoughts clearly. It hurts to read that wall of text, and I'm not sure what, if any, point it's trying to make.
(10-04-2016, 08:37 PM)Roomba Wrote: While I agree with the broader point that more stuff for botany to do would be nice, please space out your thoughts clearly. It hurts to read that wall of text, and I'm not sure what,  if any, point it's trying to make.

Why is the form and presentation so darn important to people... also i am uncapable of doing much better got no sence on how to do it... i got no issues reading it, so i dont know what are ya guys complaining about.
(10-04-2016, 06:14 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: On other servers I play (TG and Bay for instance), botany could help other departments out and in some cases, even serve as a makeshift substitute for them. For instance, they could grow material plants to provide ore, grow medicinal plants to heal the crew and grow edible plants to feed the crew when the chef was unavailable.

They could even grow weaponized plants, such as explosive plants which would spray a cloud of chemicals into the air upon impact or barbed plants which could severely injure people if used as a weapon. I used these to feed people by combining explosive plants with nutritious ones, and security appreciated the explosive/barbed combination for crowd control. Traitors would alter their plans simply to avoid botany, and botany was often the most heavily guarded area on the station as a result.

You could splice genes into plants for additional effect. Splicing kudzu genes into plants would allow them to grow anywhere, even on floors and walls, while splicing thorny plant genes would cause the plants to inject people with their chemicals when they walked past them. A thorny medical plant would heal (and drug) people who walked past, while a thorny nutritional plant would feed them - a gesture the crew appreciated, as the lazy chef was neglecting his duties to play videogames in the arcade.

Even cleaned up and with the less essential bits trimmed off, it's still a long rambling anecdote with no real point. I presume the unspoken conclusion was 'it would be nice if these features were introduced into Goonstation botany' which, as I mentioned earlier, is the broader point I agree with.

Form and presentation is important because people aren't obligated to read your arguments, especially people on this site. Regardless of how you feel about the legibility of your arguments, it's clear that the general public disagrees. If you don't make the minimum effort to make your posts readable, no one will bother to invest the time and effort to read them, and you might as well be shouting into the void for all the good it does.
(10-06-2016, 08:21 PM)Roomba Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 06:14 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: On other servers I play (TG and Bay for instance), botany could help other departments out and in some cases, even serve as a makeshift substitute for them. For instance, they could grow material plants to provide ore, grow medicinal plants to heal the crew and grow edible plants to feed the crew when the chef was unavailable.

They could even grow weaponized plants, such as explosive plants which would spray a cloud of chemicals into the air upon impact or barbed plants which could severely injure people if used as a weapon. I used these to feed people by combining explosive plants with nutritious ones, and security appreciated the explosive/barbed combination for crowd control. Traitors would alter their plans simply to avoid botany, and botany was often the most heavily guarded area on the station as a result.

You could splice genes into plants for additional effect. Splicing kudzu genes into plants would allow them to grow anywhere, even on floors and walls, while splicing thorny plant genes would cause the plants to inject people with their chemicals when they walked past them. A thorny medical plant would heal (and drug) people who walked past, while a thorny nutritional plant would feed them - a gesture the crew appreciated, as the lazy chef was neglecting his duties to play videogames in the arcade.

Even cleaned up and with the less essential bits trimmed off, it's still a long rambling anecdote with no real point. I presume the unspoken conclusion was 'it would be nice if these features were introduced into Goonstation botany' which, as I mentioned earlier, is the broader point I agree with.

Form and presentation is important because people aren't obligated to read your arguments, especially people on this site. Regardless of how you feel about the legibility of your arguments, it's clear that the general public disagrees. If you don't make the minimum effort to make your posts readable, no one will bother to invest the time and effort to read them, and you might as well be shouting into the void for all the good it does.
Headings, underlining and bullet points are an easy way. simple is effective.
(10-06-2016, 07:50 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: Why is the form and presentation so darn important to people... also i am uncapable of doing much better got no sence on how to do it... i got no issues reading it, so i dont know what are ya guys complaining about.

*sigh Banging head against the wall

Vuk... I have serious concerns about how you function as a human being in the real world. It's important because you're attempting to communicate with others and have people understand you. What may start out as a strong idea is quickly lost in the muck.

Sense is the word you're looking for a the thing you are most certainly lacking. Pick up a damn book and start reading. Learn!

Do you know the difference between ignorance and stupidity? Ignorance is not having knowledge of something. Stupidity is having everyone on this forum telling you the same thing and deciding you're right regardless.

CRIMINEY!  :suicide: