Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Makeshift weapons
Was testing out the bow we have now but i am not seeing it any practical, while it can be shot with a low draw it usually misses the target completely even at point blank range, and drawing fully takes an awful lot of time, making dealing with hostiles impossible, and i'm speaking of dumb mobs in space, in PVP bowman would be dead before firing the first arrow! So i came up with an idea of a crossbow! Basically slap the bow onto a frame (can be pipe frame?).

It would be a contrast to the bow, it takes a full draw to arm it, but the crossbow can stay drawn (even in bag) and fires immediately when used. Downside is arrow-spam is impossible, takes long time to re-arm (basically a full draw-time for bow) but upside is its ready for use once set. This would help avoid friendly fire (and actually hitting the intended target) and be of use in adventures, where usually ya run into one mob at the time (space bears and rogue bots being good example). Other than the way of use there would be no difference between bow and crossbow (bow material mechanics apply to crossbow as well).

Also can someone tell me from which material are good bows made?
steel bow cant kill even a monkey, altho i didnt check if chemicals can be used on arrows!
Need somethin that can pack a serious punch to rogue secbots and such while adventuring. I know uqill is best for and vs physical damage so armor from it and arrow tips are good... but what to use for the bow?

(10-04-2016, 05:46 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 05:16 PM)VukĀ Farkas Wrote: bumping this old thing again, we seriously need better weapons than spears and arrows to deal with martians, rogue bots, some kind of space ants, and what not... also make the nanofab scanable for hells sake or buildable, so any explorers/adventurers can setup an outpost in space. So far game doesnt encourage exploration much, sure telescience is fun but requires access and a lot of knowlege, while grabbing a space suit/pod is basic, also some serious craftable weapons would be nice for adventurers (even a .22 pistol would be something), a way to recharge energy weapons off station (handcranked recharger? self recharging small cells? or at the wery least being able to replace the cells like a magazine if its not implemented already!) I see almoust daily updates on goon, but they rarely add more new makeshift stuff, they mostly focus on fixing and updating old stuff (which is nice dont get me wrong, but some stuff here is deep while other stuff is barely touched)! Also a way to actually use the scrap from the grinder would be awesome (recycling) for us who love makeshift stuff, and wanna do things off station!

Most of the changes you've stated are fairly trivial but require a decent amount of work. They require spriting, balancing, a way of crafting (and the materials system is still in-the-works so I'd imagine most people are holding off until that's done; I know I am). If you're so adamant about this, and you do seem very vocal, make the changes yourself and make a patch. Or make the sprites. Or do something, basically. Every coder/spriter has more ideas than time, so in general the best way to get something done is to do it yourself.

well coding i cannot do without anyone teaching me, i guess i can do the sprites if someone at least informs me what program to use and such, altho i can see that spriters already made sprites long ago for many things i am mentioning...
(10-06-2016, 06:11 AM)misto Wrote: if i can do any touch-ups on the sprites to make them easier to put ingame please tell me so

for simplicity's sake, the wrench club could even be considered complete at the "wrapping the head in coil" stage - the nature of the coils and insulation would already provide slight cushioning effect and were all willing to suspend a little disbelief here and there

my greatest concern regarding the slamfire shotgun is the simple fact that i dont really know anywhere besides the syndicate listening post to source fresh shotgun ammo from, and without ammo sources such a weapon would not see much use at all. maybe i should do the rounds to the various traders again

as pointed out by others, an option to manually pump the air pressure gun using a handcuffs-like timer would be good, but it would also require a check that the room it is being pumped in actually has air to pump into it rather than bare vacuum, so it would be fine to leave that detail out of initial release for the sake of ease. flamethrowers already work well enough with needing to have both their air and fuel tanks topped up, so i do not see an airgun needing similar as being a great weakness.

For the shotguns we could either put blank shells in a hacked general fab list or make them craftable (by hand or via nanofab). In case of blank shells they would need to be filled with objects like chemicals or metal, or some other "bullet".

That way we can customize our own ammo, make for example a "dragonbreath" shell which spits volatile fire, but only forward, as a "safe" and short lasting alternative to flamethrowers, or fill them with makeshift stun rounds, which can be recharged and reused, or just plain lethal shards of glass or metal...

If we use the blank shell type of ammo, it will allow even positive use of the weapon, but will make the ammo production slow, and not worth the time for any griefers and such.

On some servers i played there were even EMP shells to (almoust) oneshot borgs and AIs (altho bots would certanly be oneshot) and blanks could be filled with anything, so medics used them for healing and implanting, engineers for metal foam to seal the breaches or to extinguish fires, security well for their job, scientists even had them in case somethin went wrong (usually wicked mobs running amok in the lab).

Security especially liked the custom ammo, they would usually start with non lethals, and then after each shot a more serious shell would be chambered (example started with a stun round, then rubber round, then chemical round (be it a chem spray or metal dipped in a chem), then a weak but wery dangerous round that caused a lot of bleeding that was hard to stop, and rest of the rounds were usually many forms of lethal from dragonbreath and EMP to the classical buckshot and slug. I even used acid shells to melt off syndicate gear hahaha.

With blanks (custom shells) we can even make flares, and hopefully make flareguns available on the station. From experience in game, flareguns are basically short range one shot pistols (chambered in shotgun shells), and their standard ammo is weak, i mean killing someone with it would be possible with several shots, or splashing fuel onto them and then shooting them... and wait till they burn to death, in which case flamethrower or a well mixed chem in a beaker is far more effective.

Flareguns should be easily available in engineering, EVA and telescience (as on most servers) basically wherever peeps might need to go off station (there should also be a chance for them to spawn with fire fighting gear) or have signal communication. Even buyable from traders, and QM should be able to order them, they may be scanable by mechanic?

(10-06-2016, 01:24 PM)grumpchkin Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 06:11 AM)misto Wrote: if i can do any touch-ups on the sprites to make them easier to put ingame please tell me so

for simplicity's sake, the wrench club could even be considered complete at the "wrapping the head in coil" stage - the nature of the coils and insulation would already provide slight cushioning effect and were all willing to suspend a little disbelief here and there

my greatest concern regarding the slamfire shotgun is the simple fact that i dont really know anywhere besides the syndicate listening post to source fresh shotgun ammo from, and without ammo sources such a weapon would not see much use at all. maybe i should do the rounds to the various traders again

as pointed out by others, an option to manually pump the air pressure gun using a handcuffs-like timer would be good, but it would also require a check that the room it is being pumped in actually has air to pump into it rather than bare vacuum, so it would be fine to leave that detail out of initial release for the sake of ease. flamethrowers already work well enough with needing to have both their air and fuel tanks topped up, so i do not see an airgun needing similar as being a great weakness.

I think hacking certain vendors or manufacturers will give you new 12g rubber slugs.
If ya know where do share cause as a mechanic i hacked the everliving shit outa everything and didnt find any (altho if i remember correctly barman has a shotgun, so he needs ammo for it)